The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Sarebear79
Navigating speed bumps yes but potholes that is not always as easy as u put it , how do u navigate a pot hole, swerve to avoid it and maybe cause an accident , and keeping ur eye on the road for said potholes is also a bit dangerous aswell and my daughter is insured by more than smart wheels and they have said when I have phoned to ask them the exact same thing that pot holes will affect ur smoothness score !

It's not usually that difficult to avoid a pothole! There's no more danger in looking out for them as there is looking out for a cat in the road - observations are key when driving.
Reply 61
Original post by IWMTom

Potholes and speed bumps simply do not affect your scores providing you navigate them correctly - period.
What practical experience do you base that on?

Are you a mechanic? Do you fit the black boxes?
Reply 62
Original post by nutz99
What practical experience do you base that on?

Are you a mechanic? Do you fit the black boxes?

Being the resident insurance geek on TSR, I've done my homework.

I've analysed several teardowns of the boxes, and had numerous discussions with a wide array of insurers. Coming from a technology background, I know how the boxes work, but you can apply logic to things too.
Reply 63
Original post by IWMTom
Being the resident insurance geek on TSR, I've done my homework.

I've analysed several teardowns of the boxes, and had numerous discussions with a wide array of insurers. Coming from a technology background, I know how the boxes work, but you can apply logic to things too.
But can you honestly say that the black box can determine the difference between hitting a kerb or going over a pothole or speed bump. From a personal point of view I find it very difficult to see potholes once it gets dark as street lighting tend to be kept to a minimum.
Reply 64
Original post by nutz99
But can you honestly say that the black box can determine the difference between hitting a kerb or going over a pothole or speed bump. From a personal point of view I find it very difficult to see potholes once it gets dark as street lighting tend to be kept to a minimum.

Even if it did affect things, the occasional pothole isn't going to make a dramatic difference to your score. The issue you've got is your speed bumps. Your smoothness relates to the acceleration and braking after and before the bump.

Ideally, you shouldn't be using your brake at all to go over the speed bumps, let your car naturally decelerate on the approach if the speed bump is genuinely too high to maintain a solid speed.

Speed bumps are designed to bring you down to the speed limit, not under it.
I'm cancelling my insurance soon. I seriously would avoid them. It's going to cost me £1,202 to add 3,000 miles and that's disgusting. I can probably get a new insurance policy without a black box that would be cheaper than adding miles.

And my score is +3.
Reply 66
Original post by Prophet55
I'm cancelling my insurance soon. I seriously would avoid them. It's going to cost me £1,202 to add 3,000 miles and that's disgusting. I can probably get a new insurance policy without a black box that would be cheaper than adding miles.

And my score is +3.

Add-on miles are based on your initial premium, similarly to if you had declared that extra 3k in the first place, with marginal added profit and fees.
You would think so but it's actually not. I added a few thousands miles initially and it was no where near £1,204. Maybe a couple hundred to three hundred at most.
Reply 68
You would think so but it's actually not. I added a few thousands miles initially and it was no where near £1,204. Maybe a couple hundred to three hundred at most.

Right.. which would more or less correlate with the above..

The more miles, the riskier you are.

And my score is +3.

Why'd you take the policy out then?
I was in the exact same situation as you... my only option was to go with More Than Smart Wheels but stupidly I just took the opportunity as I had already bought my car and needed to insure it on the day I had passed my driving test to be able to get to and from work.So I will be honest, a couple of occasions I have gone over the speed limit. I was given a warning the first time I did it and so I decided that I didn't want to loose my insurance for stupid driving, so my policy started in March 2017 and in July I got my first warning about speeding. From July until now I have been extremely careful with my speed as More Than are SO STRICT with the speed.Occasionally I go 1/2mph over the speed limit which I immediately slow down when I see this on my speedometer.So in October I received another warning for speeding which did not seem right to me at all as I have been driving extra careful since July. Again in December I received a warning which once again I thought was strange.Now on January 23rd 2018 when I have roughly a month left on my insurance they decide to cancel my insurance leaving me with only 7 days to sort out a new policy if need be.I decided to call them to discuss the matter and my first phone call I was told my most recent offence was 43mph on a 40mph road, then a couple of minutes in the same conversation by the same member of staff I was told this same event was actually 48mph on a 40mph road.I asked if there was anything I could do or they could do, whether that be appeal or review and I was told there was nothing that could be done.I then was talking to my friend and he convinced me that I needed to call them back as I had been given misleading information, I spoke to a different employee this time and she stated the most recent speeding offence was actually 48mph on a 50mph road but I entered a 30mph road and was going 48mph but had been slowing down.I again requested whether there was anyway I could appeal or have something done to review the decision but was again told that nothing could be done.My room mate came home later that evening and he did some research and found out that I am not the first person to have this issue, he advised me to call back a final time stating I am appealing against the decision and want written evidence that their databases are kept up to date with speed limits as well as evidence of the exact locations and times which all of the offences took place, I did so and advised the more than employee that if this information could not be provided I would take it further with the financial ombudsmen.I was finally put on hold as they actually decided now to look into it further, after about5/10mins the employee returned to the call and advised that the speeds which had been recorded on my black box did not look right as speeds were changing rapidly which isnt normal (in her exact words). I was told that More Than would contact the box fitters and they would have to check that the box had no issues. I was advised I would receive a call back within 72hours.I waited 3 working days and still had heard nothing (bear in mind that my policy would be cancelled in 7days so I had only 4days left) I then had to call back again myself and had to wait in a que for about 30-40mins until I could finally speak to someone.I explained everything stated above and advised that I had been waiting for a reply but had heard nothing back. The member of staff advised me that they would chase up the reply and get back in contact with me.I received a call back about 30mins later and was told that the box fitters found no faults and deemed the readings to be correct and so my insurance policy would still be cancelled. Only now after 3days out of the 7days was I advised that there is actually a complaints system which I could have done from the start.I requested to do so and once again have been told I have to wait 3/4days until a manager will be back in contact with me and then the complaint process will take around 8weeks to be completed...This is absolutely ludicrous... firstly the staff have lost all of my trust because I have no idea what speed I was doing or where I was doing that speed as every employee tells me something different. The fact I have been forced to wait the whole 7days just to get 2 responses from them is ridiculous as well, as this just wastes my time when something could have been done during that time and now I have to wait 8 weeks to hear whether my complaint will make a difference but my policy would have been cancelled anyway...
Original post by JosephPF95
I was in the exact same situation as you... my only option was to go with More Than Smart Wheels but stupidly I just took the opportunity as I had already bought my car and needed to insure it on the day I had passed my driving test to be able to get to and from work.So I will be honest, a couple of occasions I have gone over the speed limit. I was given a warning the first time I did it and so I decided that I didn't want to loose my insurance for stupid driving, so my policy started in March 2017 and in July I got my first warning about speeding. From July until now I have been extremely careful with my speed as More Than are SO STRICT with the speed.Occasionally I go 1/2mph over the speed limit which I immediately slow down when I see this on my speedometer.So in October I received another warning for speeding which did not seem right to me at all as I have been driving extra careful since July. Again in December I received a warning which once again I thought was strange.Now on January 23rd 2018 when I have roughly a month left on my insurance they decide to cancel my insurance leaving me with only 7 days to sort out a new policy if need be.I decided to call them to discuss the matter and my first phone call I was told my most recent offence was 43mph on a 40mph road, then a couple of minutes in the same conversation by the same member of staff I was told this same event was actually 48mph on a 40mph road.I asked if there was anything I could do or they could do, whether that be appeal or review and I was told there was nothing that could be done.I then was talking to my friend and he convinced me that I needed to call them back as I had been given misleading information, I spoke to a different employee this time and she stated the most recent speeding offence was actually 48mph on a 50mph road but I entered a 30mph road and was going 48mph but had been slowing down.I again requested whether there was anyway I could appeal or have something done to review the decision but was again told that nothing could be done.My room mate came home later that evening and he did some research and found out that I am not the first person to have this issue, he advised me to call back a final time stating I am appealing against the decision and want written evidence that their databases are kept up to date with speed limits as well as evidence of the exact locations and times which all of the offences took place, I did so and advised the more than employee that if this information could not be provided I would take it further with the financial ombudsmen.I was finally put on hold as they actually decided now to look into it further, after about5/10mins the employee returned to the call and advised that the speeds which had been recorded on my black box did not look right as speeds were changing rapidly which isnt normal (in her exact words). I was told that More Than would contact the box fitters and they would have to check that the box had no issues. I was advised I would receive a call back within 72hours.I waited 3 working days and still had heard nothing (bear in mind that my policy would be cancelled in 7days so I had only 4days left) I then had to call back again myself and had to wait in a que for about 30-40mins until I could finally speak to someone.I explained everything stated above and advised that I had been waiting for a reply but had heard nothing back. The member of staff advised me that they would chase up the reply and get back in contact with me.I received a call back about 30mins later and was told that the box fitters found no faults and deemed the readings to be correct and so my insurance policy would still be cancelled. Only now after 3days out of the 7days was I advised that there is actually a complaints system which I could have done from the start.I requested to do so and once again have been told I have to wait 3/4days until a manager will be back in contact with me and then the complaint process will take around 8weeks to be completed...This is absolutely ludicrous... firstly the staff have lost all of my trust because I have no idea what speed I was doing or where I was doing that speed as every employee tells me something different. The fact I have been forced to wait the whole 7days just to get 2 responses from them is ridiculous as well, as this just wastes my time when something could have been done during that time and now I have to wait 8 weeks to hear whether my complaint will make a difference but my policy would have been cancelled anyway...

Long story short... AVOID AT ALL COSTS!!!! Pay the extra £500 or so for the first year with no black box and then you can build your no claims discount
Original post by JosephPF95

Man please learn to use paragraphs. Thank god your TLDR that came afterwards is spot on.
Not even worth it! Was fine for about 3 months, then stopped my direct debits, so I had to pay over the phone every month, they then threatened to take legal action because I hadnt been paying my direct debit even though they were the ones that stopped it and yet accepted my payments monthly over the phone. They are a scam!
Reply 74
Original post by caitharvey
Not even worth it! Was fine for about 3 months, then stopped my direct debits, so I had to pay over the phone every month, they then threatened to take legal action because I hadnt been paying my direct debit even though they were the ones that stopped it and yet accepted my payments monthly over the phone. They are a scam!

They stopped your direct debit? That sounds... unlikely..
Why would I lie about such a thing?!😂 hahaha, they apologised so it’s all good! Not a good insurance company would do that do. Mate youre fighting a losing battle, everyone nationwide has had a problem.

Agreed
Why would I lie about such a thing?!😂 hahaha, they apologised so it’s all good! Not a good insurance company would do that do. Mate youre fighting a losing battle, everyone nationwide has had a problem.

Well I mean for a start I didn't know A) It was possible for anyone apart from the bank account holder to stop a DD [I am likely wrong on this] B) Your insurers don't actually control your direct debit, the creditors do (remember that they pay your annual insurance fee for you, then charge to you on a credit agreement monthly, hence why it costs more), this is why for example when you cancel your own policy you're generally advised to cancel the direct debit yourself C) I mean why would you lie, but like Tom said, it's very unusual.
Reply 77
Original post by nevershear
Well I mean for a start I didn't know A) It was possible for anyone apart from the bank account holder to stop a DD [I am likely wrong on this] B) Your insurers don't actually control your direct debit, the creditors do (remember that they pay your annual insurance fee for you, then charge to you on a credit agreement monthly, hence why it costs more), this is why for example when you cancel your own policy you're generally advised to cancel the direct debit yourself C) I mean why would you lie, but like Tom said, it's very unusual.

The company can also cancel the direct debit, but it often takes them a little bit of time, so to avoid any accidental payments the account holder is advised to cancel it, as it's usually much much faster.

Still though, I find it really bizarre that an insurer would cancel it (or the creditor, like you said). Makes no sense.
I had similar experiences with MoreThan with my son's car. Fortunately after 12 months we moved him off a black box and are now with a different insurer.However with MoreThan we found the following which you might find useful:1. They incorrectly classify the speed limit of several roads - we had cases where they gave a -10 speed score for 'speeding'.. but walking the journey with them on the phone and armed with google maps in front of us we found that they had graded a 60mph road as 40mph, for example - so they'd said my son was speeding at 44mph in a 40mph zone when in fact he was going 46mph in a 60mph zone... they did correct the journey to speed score of 10. Likewise they'd graded a 70mph dual carriageway as a 50mph road, again penalising my son for driving at 56mph - again when we walked the journey over the phone with google maps to hand you could clearly see the national speed limit signs... so again they apologised and corrected the journey.... we had 12 months of this!!3. My son was getting poor 'smoothness' scores and moreThan told us that the fault was because the dashboard in the car was loose, causing the black box to move about, making it think acceleration/braking wasn't smooth. On occassion we'd have several days when no journeys were recorded - we were told the loose dashboard was causing the black box to think it was in a collision. We subsequently had the black box replaced 3 times during a 9 month period... eventually once Morethan provided this theory about the loose dashboard we had the dashboard checked over by a local garage.... and they found the black box was literally just slung unsecured in to the fuse box... when the garage opened the fuse box door the black box fell out, left dangling by a wire! Photos taken and a stern email with those photos to MoreThan resulted in them sending an engineer out to screw the black box in to the car chassis, out of sight.... the remaining 3 months of the policy had good smoothness scores (but we still had errors on speed because of the issue per 1 above).Hope this helps - ironically a friend of mine has a black box policy with another insurer, but this insurer also uses the same black box fitters as MoreThan (the black box fitters are called RSConnect) - my friend is having similar problems with speed and smoothness ratings so I've shared my experiences with them as I think this boils down to the telematics company the insurer sub-contracts to and the quality of data they have in their systems.
Original post by gscholland
I had similar experiences with MoreThan with my son's car. Fortunately after 12 months we moved him off a black box and are now with a different insurer.However with MoreThan we found the following which you might find useful:1. They incorrectly classify the speed limit of several roads - we had cases where they gave a -10 speed score for 'speeding'.. but walking the journey with them on the phone and armed with google maps in front of us we found that they had graded a 60mph road as 40mph, for example - so they'd said my son was speeding at 44mph in a 40mph zone when in fact he was going 46mph in a 60mph zone... they did correct the journey to speed score of 10. Likewise they'd graded a 70mph dual carriageway as a 50mph road, again penalising my son for driving at 56mph - again when we walked the journey over the phone with google maps to hand you could clearly see the national speed limit signs... so again they apologised and corrected the journey.... we had 12 months of this!!3. My son was getting poor 'smoothness' scores and moreThan told us that the fault was because the dashboard in the car was loose, causing the black box to move about, making it think acceleration/braking wasn't smooth. On occassion we'd have several days when no journeys were recorded - we were told the loose dashboard was causing the black box to think it was in a collision. We subsequently had the black box replaced 3 times during a 9 month period... eventually once Morethan provided this theory about the loose dashboard we had the dashboard checked over by a local garage.... and they found the black box was literally just slung unsecured in to the fuse box... when the garage opened the fuse box door the black box fell out, left dangling by a wire! Photos taken and a stern email with those photos to MoreThan resulted in them sending an engineer out to screw the black box in to the car chassis, out of sight.... the remaining 3 months of the policy had good smoothness scores (but we still had errors on speed because of the issue per 1 above).Hope this helps - ironically a friend of mine has a black box policy with another insurer, but this insurer also uses the same black box fitters as MoreThan (the black box fitters are called RSConnect) - my friend is having similar problems with speed and smoothness ratings so I've shared my experiences with them as I think this boils down to the telematics company the insurer sub-contracts to and the quality of data they have in their systems.

First of all - paragraphs, please use them. Barely anyone's gonna read that.
Second - I hope road conditions weren't clear when he was sitting at 45 in a 60, that's really annoying.
Third - The poor box installation? yeah that's pretty normal, because very unusual for anyone to really know/understand how much their installation sucks until the box starts to malfunction.
Fourth and finally - We tell people in this section that the GPS on boxes sucks all the time, but they still go out and take the policies anyway.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest