The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

My smartwheels policy is social and domestic only as i was not working when i took the policy out. If i wanted to change it to social domestic and commuting would i just need to call up or would i have to take out a new policy? Also will they charge extra because when i looked at quotes, more than actually quoted less than i pay now!
Original post by IWMTom
Caveat emptor. It's your fault for cheaping out on insurance, really - no sympathy at all.

There are plenty of cheap insurances that first drivers use like myself. I too use this insurance company and have had the exact same reviews, even when I wasn’t driving for a month due to a broken foot. I do not go over speeding limits and am not a wreck less driver but still receive bad feedback.

You are a very rude individual and I find it sad that you have came onto a car insurance reviewing site to spread pure bullying and negativity.

I am 18 and this insurance was the cheapest I could afford, so before you judge us for cheaping out “, look at who this insurance is actually convenient for.

Most of us aren’t as nasty as you unfortunately.
Original post by HollyE2906
There are plenty of cheap insurances that first drivers use like myself. I too use this insurance company and have had the exact same reviews, even when I wasn’t driving for a month due to a broken foot. I do not go over speeding limits and am not a wreck less driver but still receive bad feedback.

You are a very rude individual and I find it sad that you have came onto a car insurance reviewing site to spread pure bullying and negativity.

I am 18 and this insurance was the cheapest I could afford, so before you judge us for cheaping out “, look at who this insurance is actually convenient for.

Most of us aren’t as nasty as you unfortunately.

This isn't a "car insurance reviewing site".

Would you purchase a house insurance policy that only covered you for burglary during the day?

If you can't afford a proper insurance policy, you probably should re-evaluate whether driving is necessary for you right now. Everyone can avoid telematics insurance if they actually try instead of settling for the first set of quotes they come across.
Original post by IWMTom
If you can't afford a proper insurance policy, you probably should re-evaluate whether driving is necessary for you right now. Everyone can avoid telematics insurance if they actually try instead of settling for the first set of quotes they come across.

lol, you're actually hillarious. I've searched insurance quotes for over 150 cars. And I havent seen a single quote without telematics for below £2500.

If you can find a car that is insurable for a 17year old with 0 driving experience without telematics then I will buy that, but frankly, it's impossible and doesnt exist.

I don't blame people for choosing cheaper options. Telematics is definitely the way to go. I can get quotes on various cars for around £1800~ which is definitely more reasonable.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Pls let me drive
lol, you're actually hillarious. I've searched insurance quotes for over 150 cars. And I havent seen a single quote without telematics for below £2500.

If you can find a car that is insurable for a 17year old with 0 driving experience without telematics then I will buy that, but frankly, it's impossible and doesnt exist.

I don't blame people for choosing cheaper options. Telematics is definitely the way to go. I can get quotes on various cars for around £1800~ which is definitely more reasonable.

A saving of £700 is worth risking a lifelong insurance cancellation? Okay then..
Original post by IWMTom
A saving of £700 is worth risking a lifelong insurance cancellation? Okay then..

It's a slim risk, i'd rather pay £700 less until im 21 (4 years = £2800).
Original post by Pls let me drive
It's a slim risk, i'd rather pay £700 less until im 21 (4 years = £2800).

It's really not, but hey ho.
Has anyone tried blackbox jammers? I know people that have used it and gotten away with it but others say the insurance company can see the signals being blocked and will cancel the policy?
Original post by Yung_M
Has anyone tried blackbox jammers? I know people that have used it and gotten away with it but others say the insurance company can see the signals being blocked and will cancel the policy?

If they don't receive any data, they're going to cancel...

Don't discuss illegal activity on TSR.
Anyone know how much extra miles are with Morethan?
Original post by e.mitch246
Anyone know how much extra miles are with Morethan?

It depends.
well is it like so many pence per mile or do you have to buy say per 100 miles etc??
Original post by IWMTom
It depends.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by e.mitch246
well is it like so many pence per mile or do you have to by say per 100 miles etc??

You'll buy a block of miles. The price varies.
Worst insurance company. Keep well away. Pay at little extra and get yourself a good reliable trustworthy company. Read their terms and conditions carefully or you will be out of money like me within months and then having to find another insurance .Within a month of having the box fitted it was faulty and if your vehicle has not been driven for a while they send someone to check box saying its not working. The box is constantly giving false speeding accusations. Even for revving too high, you get minus score. They take your money and then give you warnings for offences with no means of appeal. They cancel the policy with no refund and you still have to pay cancellation fees.They are acting fraudently avoid at all costs.
(edited 5 years ago)
I’ve been using them for a couple of weeks now, I drive to work and back I n rush hour so am in constant stop start traffic and have gone over the speed limit maybe once or twice, not intentionally. I’m not a smooth driver as I’ve only passed my test and I get 10/10 on every drive. I think people that are getting low scores MUST be driving irresponsibly, I’m not the best driver and still manage to keep the score up.
Original post by Millybrooksx
I’ve been using them for a couple of weeks now, I drive to work and back I n rush hour so am in constant stop start traffic and have gone over the speed limit maybe once or twice, not intentionally. I’m not a smooth driver as I’ve only passed my test and I get 10/10 on every drive. I think people that are getting low scores MUST be driving irresponsibly, I’m not the best driver and still manage to keep the score up.

Fallacy.
My more than smartwheels policy is due to expire in a month, does anybody know if i have to let them know that i dont want to renew? I pay monthly if it makes a differences
Reply 137
Hey, Not sure you still need an answer but for anyone else reading too. My friend has been driving for 3 years with a blackbox and its completely fine, she gets cheap insurance no problems at all and its good if you change insurers because they can look at your overall driving and offer it cheaper if its good (apparently). However, the main reason I felt to comment was because i have more than smart wheels and this is not the case with them. They are normally the cheapest you can find but its for a reason. They have so many conditions and its unfair. For example, you get a certain amount if miles per year and have to buy extra miles. Also, they use the blackbox to assess you on smoothness, speed and useage. You can drive perfectly but score low because at the time of day you're driving even if its unavoidable. There appears to be a lot of perks at first but overtime you'll find the scores become lower and the benefits will disappear. The insurance was cheap but deffo not worth it for me and when the year us up I'm going to cancel for sure.
Reply 138
I’m the parent of a 17yo, so the one who pays. We changed our second car to a small engined vehicle with myself and my wife as other drivers and More Than cost c.£1100 with the next cheapest £1400. We all found the 11pm penalty ridiculous. There may be evidence people crash more often after that time but we are adults, we work and have a social life at different times of the day, and a “good score” was not possible for us because of this. The speed restriction means you sit just below the speed of the traffic on 30-40 mph roads causing other drivers to overtake. The mileage restriction meant we had to extend the policy and it didn’t turn out cheaper in the end. We cancelled after 6 months expecting 6 months money back. I’ve never experienced this before but More Than use a sliding scale for refunds where in the first month they consume over a third of your policy fee and by the second half of the year there is almost nothing left to refund-it’s not pro rata like other policies. We found after 6 months my son was much cheaper to insure elsewhere. I regret using More Than and would not recommend them.
I am with more than smart wheels and for the most part they’re good. However, they decrease my speed rating when I am on private land! I did 31mph on my mates long driveway, next to a 30mph road and it took my speed score from 10 to -4. Also I think the mileage limit is pretty stupid , but that goes for all black box insurance. If you’re doing more miles it should make you a more experienced and better driver overall but instead I’m limited to going to college everyday and no social use because I can’t afford any more miles.

Latest