Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, so I got prescribed propranolol the other day, for my anxiety and basically I'm just wondering about anyone's experience with this medication?

It seems to really help me as I had a presentation of my illustration work in a small group in Uni on Tuesday and it kept my anxiety under control.

ReputationRep:
    My sister was also prescribed Propanolol a few years ago for anxiety and it really helped her. Like all psychiatric medication, it targets the physical symptoms rather than the root cause, but it obviously can be helpful in helping someone cope and function in every day life.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamsQI)
    Hello, so I got prescribed propranolol the other day, for my anxiety and basically I'm just wondering about anyone's experience with this medication?

It seems to really help me as I had a presentation of my illustration work in a small group in Uni on Tuesday and it kept my anxiety under control.
    I took them for a short time to help my anxiety symptoms during exam season. They probably stopped me throwing up a few times and I think they helped me focus a bit more on what I was doing rather than myself. They did really make me need to pee though.

It's brilliant that they're helping you! The physical symptoms of anxiety can be so limiting and really push you into a cycle. Hopefully this improvement will help you push your boundaries and grow to a point your anxiety is in check and you don't need them any more.
    You've achieved great things already. Keep pushing yourself and keep achieving those great things.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken Propranolol daily for 8 years and it is incredibly helpful to me, I do far more now (and in the interim) than I would have been able to do before and that has given me more confidence on its own because really its the thoughts that lead to the feelings of anxiety. I have also found CBT to be well worth trying.

ReputationRep:
    any medication that ends in lol doesn't sound too convincing to me

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.