Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm really struggling to decode the statement in this essay Q. I think it's asking about statutory interpretation but I'm not sure

“There is, I think, no inconsistency between the rule that statutory language retains the meaning it had when Parliament used it and the rule that the statute is always speaking.”

To what extent do you agree?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is quite an esoteric question. I don't know if it relates to something in your lectures or the person who set the question likes being tricky.

It seems to be an American-esque question about originalism vs an evolution of meaning over time. Are those two points of compatible? But your lecture handouts should be able to shed some light on that.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.