Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My daughter had glandular fever and her collage put her on a lower course because she had missed a couple of weeks in the September of year 1, which meant that she was doing a diploma course and not an extended diploma meaning that the final exam result wouldn't be as high although if she was able to catch up then they would enter her work and she would be able to get the full BTec like the rest of her class. She worked hard and completed all the extra work so we believed that she was now able to complete the full betec. Her tutor has now left and we are now being told that she cant get the full BTec despite her doing all the work, and also meaning that the result she needed for Uni isn't now good enough. Can anyone advise if it is possible to enter a segment of a BTec (Media Production) late or any other ideas, otherwise it means that she will need to do the foundation course at uni before she can start the proper course. If anyone can help I would be grateful.. Thanks
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by dawn071164)
    My daughter had glandular fever and her collage put her on a lower course because she had missed a couple of weeks in the September of year 1, which meant that she was doing a diploma course and not an extended diploma meaning that the final exam result wouldn't be as high although if she was able to catch up then they would enter her work and she would be able to get the full BTec like the rest of her class. She worked hard and completed all the extra work so we believed that she was now able to complete the full betec. Her tutor has now left and we are now being told that she cant get the full BTec despite her doing all the work, and also meaning that the result she needed for Uni isn't now good enough. Can anyone advise if it is possible to enter a segment of a BTec (Media Production) late or any other ideas, otherwise it means that she will need to do the foundation course at uni before she can start the proper course. If anyone can help I would be grateful.. Thanks
    Im not completely clear about whats happened, what their promise was or why they have changed their mind.

Is she in her first or second year? I cant work out if this has been going on since this Spetembe or the year before?

Contact Pearson
    I would try and solve it by first contacting Pearson and talking to an advisor there about whether the colleges explanation holds water and if there is a way round it i.e doing extra modules or whether theres a migitgating circumstances process where they can award on the works shes done, just like shesd missed an exam for being ill. I would suggest doing this on the phone as e-mail can be slow, but use that as backup.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/en...ontact-us.html

If there is then I would go back with that Pearson approved advice and contact the head of college and tell them its possible to do what they say and solve the situation.

Formal complaint
    If Pearson say there is nothing that can be done, then you can lodge a formal cmplaint (the procedure will be on the website and the head of college needs to take notice) about being promised something and them going back on their word. If the amount fo work caught up on is so small I dont see why they arent letting her proceed, there must be a reason? It might be something to do with marking and assessment. Even if they cant change the decision its wrong to promise and go back on it.

If that fails then you cna make a further omplaint to its reulating body and the cllege will not like that.

Other options

See what the college offer, but there are A levels and other btecs that can be completed in a year that will get her the ucas points. If needed she can do these online, but the college should really be helping provide something.

You could also ask Pearson what other qualifications might make up the gap.
    Also check with the unis she intends to apply to as to what they will accept. It has to meet with their requirements.

Doing a foundation year costs an extra years finance and it would be a waste if there is no academic need.

GL and if you get stuck then post back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.