Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Typically are mortgage payments a lot higher than rent? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just want to ask those who are familiar with properties/ real estate

Is the monthly payment for mortgage a lot higher than renting the exact same house or slightly higher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HucktheForde)
    Just want to ask those who are familiar with properties/ real estate

Is the monthly payment for mortgage a lot higher than renting the exact same house or slightly higher?
    With interests rates so low they are usually similar, at the moment but they key factor is the interest rate.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    With interests rates so low they are usually similar, at the moment but they key factor is the interest rate.
    so basically if i rent and i buy i pretty much pay the similar monthly rate..

ReputationRep:
    so basically if i rent and i buy i pretty much pay the similar monthly rate..
    At the moment it should be similar but these are the lowest rates ever. Just because they have gone on for a decade now doesn’t mean they will continue indefinitely even though I don’t think they will rise significantly for a long time to come

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the longer you pay the lower the monthly rate is...so after some years you could be paying 500 a month for a property that would be worth 800

ReputationRep:
    At the moment it should be similar but these are the lowest rates ever. Just because they have gone on for a decade now doesn’t mean they will continue indefinitely even though I don’t think they will rise significantly for a long time to come
    so if thats the case renting is pretty unattractive, since after renting for 30 years i get nothing and if i buy after 30 years of similar payment to rent i get the home, am i right saying this?

ReputationRep:
    if i seal the deal now arent the interest rates fixed till the end of the mortgage? you seem to be saying that the interest rate can be adjusted year to year?

wouldnt the rent increase too if the mortgage payment increases?

also is it possible to get a zero downpayment mortgage if i have good credit rating?

ReputationRep:
    Usually, monthly mortgage payments will be less than rent, because the landlord is going to have to charge enough monthly rent to cover his monthly mortgage payments on that property, plus profits to make it worth his while.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of variables involved, ie the term of your mortgage and such.

Your rent will be a fixed amount as written within your rent contract.

You can fix a mortgage for up to 10 years meaning that you know what you'll be paying for a fixed amount of time.

ReputationRep:
    if i seal the deal now arent the interest rates fixed till the end of the mortgage? you seem to be saying that the interest rate can be adjusted year to year?

wouldnt the rent increase too if the mortgage payment increases?

also is it possible to get a zero downpayment mortgage if i have good credit rating?
    No you have a 30 year mortgage for example but there are many different options of mortgage like fixed and tracker for example.

A tracker mortgage will go up and down as interest rates go up and down at the Bank of England whereas a fixed mortgage fixes the interest rate for a period of time for example 3 years then you rearrange another mortgage
    Rent generally goes up as house prices go up and not you can’t get a mortgage with no deposit.

Generally you need 10% some do 5% but if you want the best mortgage rates you need 20% at least

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.