Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I am considering studying maths. Haven't picked institution yet.
    I would be very thankful if math students in Glasgow would answer following questions and, if possible give feedback about the studies.
    Would love to hear about the good and bad, the worst and horrible !
    How are most courses set-up ? Is there lots of cramming ? Are educators monotonous, or is it interesting to study the subject ?
    Are there many students in the class ?

Thank you so much for reading.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a 3rd year joint honours student right now.

In terms of "set-up", do you mean what sort of contact hours there are? It's very much a normal maths programme, ithere are daily lectures, and a tutorial once every week or two, with various homework during the semester. If you have any particular questions I can answer them.

There is quite a bit of cramming in the first two years, since there are exams in December. You have roughly a week of study leave after lectures end, then the exams start. This was okay for first year, but second year was much more difficult, as the courses are significantly harder.

In terms of lecturers, it really depends on the course, but one of my first year lecturers is the reason I switched from single (computer science) to joint honours. He made the course really interesting, and he gave some insight into later years' studies, for example my third year courses are starting to cover topics he mentioned.

There are two choices for maths in first year, a normal route (1R/S), and a harder but more interesting route (1X/Y). I'd highly suggest the latter if you can get in, I would have been massively bored otherwise.

Class size again depends on the year and course, but first year maths (R/S) have class sizes of roughly 200 over multiple lecture groups (1X/Y is about 100 total), and similar for second year. In third/fourth year the class size is roughly 100 total as well.

If you have any questions about my reply, I'm happy to answer

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for reply !
    By Set-up I meant does staff makes subject interesting ?
    Also, what makes X/Y interesting as compared to R/S ? I've heard that X/Y is focused to details in maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ohmycosh)
    Hi, I'm a 3rd year joint honours student right now.

In terms of "set-up", do you mean what sort of contact hours there are? It's very much a normal maths programme, ithere are daily lectures, and a tutorial once every week or two, with various homework during the semester. If you have any particular questions I can answer them.

There is quite a bit of cramming in the first two years, since there are exams in December. You have roughly a week of study leave after lectures end, then the exams start. This was okay for first year, but second year was much more difficult, as the courses are significantly harder.

In terms of lecturers, it really depends on the course, but one of my first year lecturers is the reason I switched from single (computer science) to joint honours. He made the course really interesting, and he gave some insight into later years' studies, for example my third year courses are starting to cover topics he mentioned.

There are two choices for maths in first year, a normal route (1R/S), and a harder but more interesting route (1X/Y). I'd highly suggest the latter if you can get in, I would have been massively bored otherwise.

Class size again depends on the year and course, but first year maths (R/S) have class sizes of roughly 200 over multiple lecture groups (1X/Y is about 100 total), and similar for second year. In third/fourth year the class size is roughly 100 total as well.

If you have any questions about my reply, I'm happy to answer

One more thing I have to ask you, which is of main importance to me.

Do educators provide more than memorizing certain concepts of maths ?
    One main thing why I discontinued my previous education in engineering is due to encumbering of mind with all possible concepts by educators, which are of no value personally. Just keeps the mind heavy and dull.

Wouldn't want to study just to become talking encyclopedia.

ReputationRep:
    Hey sorry for the very late reply - I don't think I got a notification!

I felt the X/Y lecturers were great (particularly Christian Korff), it was a very enjoyable course. You could tell they cared about making the students interested.

X/Y was more interesting since the topics were harder, and challenged me (which I think R/S wouldn't have done).

> Do educators provide more than memorizing certain concepts of maths ?

It depends on the course, really. Some courses (X/Y, 2A, 2B) were more focused on thinking rather than remembering material, but there are some courses (in particular, 2C) which are just rembering concepts and regurgitating them for an exam.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.