Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to apply for a post in NHS,I want to know what to write and how to properly?Can anyone help me?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skhan99)
    I'm hoping to apply for a post in NHS,I want to know what to write and how to properly?Can anyone help me?
    On the job advert there will be a document you can download with the person specification and role description. You need to write about how you match each of the required points. So if the person specification says "is self motivated", you need to write about how you can show you are self motivated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    On the job advert there will be a document you can download with the person specification and role description. You need to write about how you match each of the required points. So if the person specification says "is self motivated", you need to write about how you can show you are self motivated.
    Ahh okay so if I refer to each point that they look at in the application form.Thank you!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ahh okay so if I refer to each point that they look at in the application form.Thank you!
    It's best to try to do it in the order they've used, and make it as obvious as possible. When they go through your statement, they will have the criteria next to them, and will tick off the ones you meet. So if you write a description of being self motivated but don't use the words "self motivation" they may miss that's what you're explaining (as they will have hundreds to read!) so you need to make it easy for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    It's best to try to do it in the order they've used, and make it as obvious as possible. When they go through your statement, they will have the criteria next to them, and will tick off the ones you meet. So if you write a description of being self motivated but don't use the words "self motivation" they may miss that's what you're explaining (as they will have hundreds to read!) so you need to make it easy for them.
    Ahhh okay I understand.Can you please give me an example of how to incorporate it myself if it did say self motivated,how would I write something regarding that?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh okay I understand.Can you please give me an example of how to incorporate it myself if it did say self motivated,how would I write something regarding that?
    I have good self motivation skills. Recently, my manager was on annual leave and I had to motivate myself to complete the tasks by the deadline.

The point is to try to think up an example for each thing. You don't just want a long list of attributes - anyone can write that - but you need to aim to show the required skills/qualities/qualification. You'll probably have more to write on some things than others, and that's fine. You don't need to write pages and pages of description.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I have good self motivation skills. Recently, my manager was on annual leave and I had to motivate myself to complete the tasks by the deadline.

The point is to try to think up an example for each thing. You don't just want a long list of attributes - anyone can write that - but you need to aim to show the required skills/qualities/qualification. You'll probably have more to write on some things than others, and that's fine. You don't need to write pages and pages of description.
    I understand thank you!do you think motivation could be for instance motivating myself to get an assignment done before it's deadline?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I understand thank you!do you think motivation could be for instance motivating myself to get an assignment done before it's deadline?
    Yes, you can use examples from education, work, volunteering, hobbies etc.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't use these things as examples of self motivation, these are things you're expected to do anyway - if you have a deadline for something you're meant to meet it, you're not self-motivated if you do that, you're literally just doing your job. I would use for self-motivated an example of a time you took initiative for something that someone hadn't asked you to do. Doing your job is not self-motivation and now more than ever the NHS needs people who will get on with their job and not look for praise just for doing their basic job (not saying this is you, but having recruited in the NHS for more than 3 years, I would not be impressed to read you doing something by a deadline as an example of self-motivation).

Use the titles they've put in the person spec as your subheadings for your written statement. Use the key words they've included and try to give as many examples as you can overall, NHS recruitment is competency based so your interview will be similar if you're called for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I wouldn't use these things as examples of self motivation, these are things you're expected to do anyway - if you have a deadline for something you're meant to meet it, you're not self-motivated if you do that, you're literally just doing your job. I would use for self-motivated an example of a time you took initiative for something that someone hadn't asked you to do. Doing your job is not self-motivation and now more than ever the NHS needs people who will get on with their job and not look for praise just for doing their basic job (not saying this is you, but having recruited in the NHS for more than 3 years, I would not be impressed to read you doing something by a deadline as an example of self-motivation).

Use the titles they've put in the person spec as your subheadings for your written statement. Use the key words they've included and try to give as many examples as you can overall, NHS recruitment is competency based so your interview will be similar if you're called for one.
    What kind of examples would you say of?

ReputationRep:
    What kind of examples would you say of?
    I don't know anything about you or what you've been doing for the last few years, but an example if I were asked to give one for myself would be that for 2 years I worked in a senior NHS role whilst simultaneously studying for my MA and achieving distinction grades. This demonstrates I am self-motivated to progress myself both professionally and academically and balancing both things at once shows a strong work ethic as the majority of my time over that period was spent 'working' in some capacity, and good time management skills to ensure top grades achieved whilst also performing well at work.

^ that paragraph there ticks off 3 things they probably want - self-motivation, time management, work ethic. But it depends what band job you're applying for as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infairverona)
    I don't know anything about you or what you've been doing for the last few years, but an example if I were asked to give one for myself would be that for 2 years I worked in a senior NHS role whilst simultaneously studying for my MA and achieving distinction grades. This demonstrates I am self-motivated to progress myself both professionally and academically and balancing both things at once shows a strong work ethic as the majority of my time over that period was spent 'working' in some capacity, and good time management skills to ensure top grades achieved whilst also performing well at work.

^ that paragraph there ticks off 3 things they probably want - self-motivation, time management, work ethic. But it depends what band job you're applying for as well.
    I'm applying for an apprentice job band 2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.