Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on where I stand legally & If I should be entitled to some compensation or not. Ill keep it as short as I can.

Basically, my girlfriend and I were due to go away the 10th of October for 7 Nights in Tenerife however we couldn't go as there was complications with getting her passport. With it being her first passport I couldn't fast track this or head over to Liverpool to collect it the same day. We booked with 40 weeks until departure so was under the impression we should have got this sorted by now.

She had the same issue 2 years back when she paid to go abroad with the girls and she couldn't get her passport.

The complications start with the registry office and her birth certificate. Essentially when she was registered at birth they never put her first name on her BC instead they used - - - - -

We were told we needed doctors notes, medical records etc before we can send off for her name to be added onto the BC, which we obtained... It has now sat with the Registry office for over 15 weeks, they have had to send it out to their Southport office who when we called have said it is taking so long because they are investigating why symbols were used instead of using undisclosed name as they have never saw it before in their life.

Now this is something that is completely out of our hands and something we could not control, but ultimately the registry office are at fault and have cost us a £1200 holiday. Is there anything I can do legally to get a case set up for potential compensation?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too sure about the whole compensation question, but regarding the name situation, wouldn't it of made sense just to do a change of name deed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jakedott1993)
    Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on where I stand legally & If I should be entitled to some compensation or not. Ill keep it as short as I can.

Basically, my girlfriend and I were due to go away the 10th of October for 7 Nights in Tenerife however we couldn't go as there was complications with getting her passport. With it being her first passport I couldn't fast track this or head over to Liverpool to collect it the same day. We booked with 40 weeks until departure so was under the impression we should have got this sorted by now.

She had the same issue 2 years back when she paid to go abroad with the girls and she couldn't get her passport.

The complications start with the registry office and her birth certificate. Essentially when she was registered at birth they never put her first name on her BC instead they used - - - - -

We were told we needed doctors notes, medical records etc before we can send off for her name to be added onto the BC, which we obtained... It has now sat with the Registry office for over 15 weeks, they have had to send it out to their Southport office who when we called have said it is taking so long because they are investigating why symbols were used instead of using undisclosed name as they have never saw it before in their life.

Now this is something that is completely out of our hands and something we could not control, but ultimately the registry office are at fault and have cost us a £1200 holiday. Is there anything I can do legally to get a case set up for potential compensation?

Cheers.
    while it may be the fault of the registry office for taking ages to get the name thing sorted, technically missing the holiday is your girlfriends fault (and not the registry office) for booking a holiday BEFORE getting her passport and if she has had this issue before why did she think it was a good idea to do the same thing again this time.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    while it may be the fault of the registry office for taking ages to get the name thing sorted, technically missing the holiday is your girlfriends fault (and not the registry office) for booking a holiday BEFORE getting her passport and if she has had this issue before why did she think it was a good idea to do the same thing again this time.....
    (Original post by Jakedott1993)
    Hi Everyone,

Cheers.
    Agreed with madmadmax I'm afraid, whilst it's not her fault the passport office are taking ages to sort things out, your girlfriend should really have got this sorted after the last time it cost her a holiday and certainly well before she booked her next holiday.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.