The Student Room Group

How long will it take to improve from just about silver in SMC to qualifying for BMO?

Hi,

I’m going to be taking the SMC in 2 weeks (I’m in year 12). I have a week during half term to prepare for it, and of course work on other subjects. I really want to improve, and I currently have the AoPS Vol 1: the basics.

It would be a huge achievement if I can qualify for BMO (roughly 106 points needed).

I’m not that good at competition maths, and I can just about get a silver in SMC. Sometimes not.

Is qualifying for BMO achievable? I feel like in Y13 I will be busy with other things so I think this is my last chance. Also, even if I do qualify, I won’t be able to put it on my personal statement due to the timing.

Thoughts?
I'm in a similar boat. I'm hoping to get gold or hopefuly go into BMO. And yes you can.

This is what I'm doing to prepare:
- reading UKMT books (number theory, a problem solver's handbook)
- going over DrFrost's slide and worksheets for JMC/IMC/SMC (and Olympiad stuff; go to his site)
- completing all JMC/JMK/IMC/IMK/IMO (Cayley, Hamilton, McLaurin papers and by the end averaging 22+ in challenges and 5/6 in Olympiads) & doing SMC/SMK
Reply 2
Original post by thekidwhogames
I'm in a similar boat. I'm hoping to get gold or hopefuly go into BMO. And yes you can.

This is what I'm doing to prepare:
- reading UKMT books (number theory, a problem solver's handbook)
- going over DrFrost's slide and worksheets for JMC/IMC/SMC (and Olympiad stuff; go to his site)
- completing all JMC/JMK/IMC/IMK/IMO (Cayley, Hamilton, McLaurin papers and by the end averaging 22+ in challenges and 5/6 in Olympiads) & doing SMC/SMK

Thanks for the advice.

I actually now think I can't manage my time to qualify for BMO. There's a lot of revision for my 4 AS subjects during this half term, and I don't wan't to risk it too much.

I may instead try to qualify for a programming contest for my country, as I have more time for that. Dammit I wish I had my AoPS book during the summer....
What are you now averaging?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending