Turn on thread page Beta

How long will it take to improve from just about silver in SMC to qualifying for BMO? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I’m going to be taking the SMC in 2 weeks (I’m in year 12). I have a week during half term to prepare for it, and of course work on other subjects. I really want to improve, and I currently have the AoPS Vol 1: the basics.

It would be a huge achievement if I can qualify for BMO (roughly 106 points needed).

I’m not that good at competition maths, and I can just about get a silver in SMC. Sometimes not.

Is qualifying for BMO achievable? I feel like in Y13 I will be busy with other things so I think this is my last chance. Also, even if I do qualify, I won’t be able to put it on my personal statement due to the timing.

Thoughts?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm hoping to get gold or hopefuly go into BMO. And yes you can.

This is what I'm doing to prepare:
    - reading UKMT books (number theory, a problem solver's handbook)
    - going over DrFrost's slide and worksheets for JMC/IMC/SMC (and Olympiad stuff; go to his site)
    - completing all JMC/JMK/IMC/IMK/IMO (Cayley, Hamilton, McLaurin papers and by the end averaging 22+ in challenges and 5/6 in Olympiads) & doing SMC/SMK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thekidwhogames)
    I'm in a similar boat. I'm hoping to get gold or hopefuly go into BMO. And yes you can.

This is what I'm doing to prepare:
    - reading UKMT books (number theory, a problem solver's handbook)
    - going over DrFrost's slide and worksheets for JMC/IMC/SMC (and Olympiad stuff; go to his site)
    - completing all JMC/JMK/IMC/IMK/IMO (Cayley, Hamilton, McLaurin papers and by the end averaging 22+ in challenges and 5/6 in Olympiads) & doing SMC/SMK
    Thanks for the advice.

I actually now think I can't manage my time to qualify for BMO. There's a lot of revision for my 4 AS subjects during this half term, and I don't wan't to risk it too much.

I may instead try to qualify for a programming contest for my country, as I have more time for that. Dammit I wish I had my AoPS book during the summer....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What are you now averaging?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2017

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.