Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I LOVE G+P and History, honestly it's difficult to shut me up about it! But my major issue is I SUCK at essays and these things. Moreover, every single uni I have looked at wants triple A or something for entry into the course.

I am not triple A material. Right now, I am three C's at best? I also got a remark on a G+P paper, being 1 ucas mark off a B, and then LOST 7 points, so i'm really gutted. I just try and try and don't get any better.

I would really really love to do this stuff, but I don't see any point bothering anymore, because i'm just outclassed. Help?

For more info:
    Subjects I do: English/Government and Politics/History
    I am on a school that is allowed lower grades to enter, but it's really not enough.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by FlintofBavaria)
    So I LOVE G+P and History, honestly it's difficult to shut me up about it! But my major issue is I SUCK at essays and these things. Moreover, every single uni I have looked at wants triple A or something for entry into the course.

I am not triple A material. Right now, I am three C's at best? I also got a remark on a G+P paper, being 1 ucas mark off a B, and then LOST 7 points, so i'm really gutted. I just try and try and don't get any better.

I would really really love to do this stuff, but I don't see any point bothering anymore, because i'm just outclassed. Help?

For more info:
    I am on a school that is allowed lower grades to enter, but it's really not enough.
    What's your career plan?:holmes:

Your next steps should be governed by your ultimate destination.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly? I don't know. I just like talking and history. In an ideal world, i'd be running the country, but we know my chances of that are quite slim...

ReputationRep:

For more info:
    There are universities out there asking for lower grades for History & Politics- DeMontfort, Salford, Manchester Metropolitan all appear to have entry requirements around the CCC mark. Alternatively consider Politics on its own as it tends to have lower entry requirements. Both though are essay heavy courses.

ReputationRep:
    Please do not think you can not develop and grow your abilities to successfully write wonderful essays, it takes time and a lot of hard work to become great at things, others may be more natural at the outset, and if that is not you, you can still develop your writing ability over time.

If you are considering Politics and International Relations, definitely try to get into the programs you can, go there, and work hard, do well, grow and avail yourself of writing clinics and tutorials, and then, with the stellar marks that I hope you will be blessed to receive, consider applying at the postgraduate level at some of teh finest programs in the world, having shone forth your ability to adapt, grow, thrive and survive and reach new levels of self-development and success with hard work. My very best wishes to you for much success.

For more info:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luq_ali)
    Please do not think you can not develop and grow your abilities to successfully write wonderful essays, it takes time and a lot of hard work to become great at things, others may be more natural at the outset, and if that is not you, you can still develop your writing ability over time.

If you are considering Politics and International Relations, definitely try to get into the programs you can, go there, and work hard, do well, grow and avail yourself of writing clinics and tutorials, and then, with the stellar marks that I hope you will be blessed to receive, consider applying at the postgraduate level at some of teh finest programs in the world, having shone forth your ability to adapt, grow, thrive and survive and reach new levels of self-development and success with hard work. My very best wishes to you for much success.
    This is good advice. You will be coached to develop these skills, and a lot of the programs with lower entry grades will still benefit from excellent teaching and research-active staff - academia is a crowded job market, so places like Salford, DMU, Man Met still attract talent; they will have smaller departments and budgets, but you'll get a good education.

If you do well and are really interested in the subject, you will have full access to good Masters programs and the perceived 'prestige' of your undergrad university won't factor in their selection decisions - as long as you work hard and come out with a good degree.

Work hard at it this year, do your best with A-levels. In terms of particular unis/departments to aim for, Bradford (Peace Studies & International Development) and Hull (Politics and International Relations) are very good. Bradford's entry requirement is BBB, Hull's is 112 UCAS points which I believe is BBC. Have a look at the courses they offer.

They will probably have places in clearing if you don't quite hit your grades, and if your school makes you eligible for reduced offers on top of that, then you've got a great chance!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.