Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I am applying for university for 2018 and I am undecided as to whether I want to live there or commute.
    The journey would be about a 40 minute drive or 50 minute train journey. I guess the main reason why I am undecided is because I want to have the full 'uni experience' and I also want to make some lifelong friends.
    What do you think? What are your experiences? Thanks for reading!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chanell99)
    Hello! I am applying for university for 2018 and I am undecided as to whether I want to live there or commute.
    The journey would be about a 40 minute drive or 50 minute train journey. I guess the main reason why I am undecided is because I want to have the full 'uni experience' and I also want to make some lifelong friends.
    A big part of university is leaving home and standing on your own two feet with the freedom to be your own person and not have any one nagging you or having to justify what you do with your time and money. Living in halls is also much more spontaneous than having to plan and curtail evenings out when you know you have a journey to get back home.

The advantage you have with commuting, is cost - unless your parents charge you rent.

ReputationRep:
    I commuted to university, it was about a 40 minute journey one way once I drove to the train station, parked, got the train and got to university. It did have an impact on my social life as the last train home was at 2125 so I couldn't really go out late at night with friends unless I drove into university, and then I wouldn't be able to drink. However I made some good friends at uni who let me crash at their house after a night out so really it's what you make of it. Potentially it will limit your social life but you'll be much better off financially. If I could go back I probably would have opted to live at university but saying that now I'm much better off financially. You'll make lifelong friends whether you live at university or not though so I wouldn't be worried about that so much.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've seen at the Uni it's far better to stay on campus than commute even if you don't get good accommodation. The majority of events will be really inconvenient for someone off campus and it's difficult to make friends outside of your lectures and classes especially since it's a campus based and not a city Uni

ReputationRep:
    All very interesting points! As it’s a campus based uni I think I will most likely live there but I will do more research before I decide for definite thank you everyone for your input
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Defiantly stay at uni! It gives you so much independence! I currently have a flat avalible if you would like to have a looking due to family circumstances I have to move out! Give me a message

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.