Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my first half term in college and I'm constantly getting low grades. I picked computer science a level psychology a level and applied science. However, I'm planning to maybe change colleges to just do level 3 digital technologies btec I think I would honestly do better but idk the idea of doing a levels is much better. Please help?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by workaholic.ok)
    I just finished my first half term in college and I'm constantly getting low grades. I picked computer science a level psychology a level and applied science. However, I'm planning to maybe change colleges to just do level 3 digital technologies btec I think I would honestly do better but idk the idea of doing a levels is much better. Please help?
    The main difference between BTEC and A levels is that the former is 80%+ continuous assessment, whereas the latter is 80%+ exam based at the end of two years.
    Work out whether you are suited to exams or continuous assessment.

You also need to identify whether its the way you are assessed or more likely you are struggling with your A level subjects in general. You have to look at your answers and interact with your teacher to id where you are going wrong. Compare your answers to exemplar ones. You can improve, but it will take practice and more work.

Its up to you whether you think BTEC extended diploma is more suited to you. It will be more restrictive if you want to go to uni, so you should check whether the BTEC can get you onto the course you want.

They might not let you change till next year. Be warned. Talk to your teachers and careers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by workaholic.ok)
    ^perfect what the previous commenter has said.

Also I did a BTEC Level 3 in IT and am in a Russel group Uni with a IB internship in my CV experience so it can be done.

However I think Unis have changed the BTEC acceptance criteria now as in they want an AS Level with the BTEC D*s so you should check that out first.

Also depends whether you actually want to go to Uni or job because with btec you can try seeing if you wanted to do apprenticeship at consultancy companies like EY, Pwc etc who gives chances to non-Uni students but obviously it is going to be soo much more competitive I think.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    I also did an Extended Diploma in IT and have been very happy with where it has got me. I am currently a Level 4 Apprentice at the Ministry Of Defence and have applied to study Computer Science at Nottingham, Surrey and Coventry next year. It is a tedious, continuous process but if that is your learning style then I'd say go for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.