Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What are the advantages and disadvantages of asexual reproduction?

ReputationRep:
    Advantages:

Mini-me!

Disadvantages:

No fun.

Seriously...

Advantages:

More efficient
    Faster (only requires one individual)

Disadvantages:

No scope for genetic change, therefore no possiblity of adaption against threats.

ReputationRep:
    Another advantage is that certain good features are preserved in the offspring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Disadvantages:

No scope for genetic change, therefore no possiblity of adaption against threats.
    IANAB (I am not a biologist), but surely organisms that reproduce asexually still mutate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AntiMagicMan)
    IANAB (I am not a biologist), but surely organisms that reproduce asexually still mutate?
    I think he means that sexually reproducing organisms are at an advantage because not all individuals are susceptible to the same 'threats'. Traits are, more often than not, determined and controlled by larges suites of genes - mutation is not (generally, for larger, multicellular organisms) a rapid enough method of allowing adaptation on it's own - meaning that recombination of alleles etc. affords almost infinite scope for change.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    A disadvantage is that if one catches a disease they are all going to get a disease as they are all the same.

oops thats already been said.

ReputationRep:
    They will still vary because of mutations, eg. some alpha particles could smash up some DNA and cause the new mutated DNA to produce proteins that are resistant to infections.

Advantages are... this is not a real life advantage (probably never be used) but if there's only one left, the species will survive. Also I guess it's faster?

Disadvantages.. maybe less variation than sexual reproduction since there is no mixing of parent genes to make offspring, therefore there are less substantial variations and advantageous variations are less frequent, so evolution is slower.

ReputationRep:
    Asexual reproduction is far less energetically expensive.

Ben

ReputationRep:
    Another disadvantage no-one seems to have stated is that there will be high levels of competition between the offspring to ensure their survival, since asexual reproduction generally produces large numbers of offspring in a certain area with limited resources.

This survival competition can lead to the death of large numbers of the offspring. Of course, this could be regarded as an advantage, i.e. since the weaker offspring died, more room was available for the stronger (and better) offspring.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dvs)
    Another disadvantage no-one seems to have stated is that there will be high levels of competition between the offspring to ensure their survival, since asexual reproduction generally produces large numbers of offspring in a certain area with limited resources.

This survival competition can lead to the death of large numbers of the offspring. Of course, this could be regarded as an advantage, i.e. since the weaker offspring died, more room was available for the stronger (and better) offspring.
    Am I understanding your post correctly?

- disadvantage of asexual reproduction is that much competition arises between offspring (such as during binary fission of bacteria etc.)
    - this competition can be advantageous by means of natural selection.

Are these statements really only applicable to asexual reproduction?

Ben

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben.S.)
    Are these statements really only applicable to asexual reproduction?
    Not specifically.

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.