Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm 17 and i was on my way to college today, I use the disabled toilet sometimes. Im not physically disabled but I have anxiety and i just prefer using them toilets. Today, i went to the theatre toilets and while i was about to go in them some man goes over and says 'why are you using the disabled toilet? The mens is empty, only use the disabled toilets if your disabled'

Then i just went to the sainsburys toilets instead and i walked out and i seen an older woman standing there waiting, i opened the door for her to walk in and she says 'are you even disabled?' with a dirty look on her face and i just told her 'not every disability is visable'

Why are some people so ignorant and judgemental just because your not physically disabled using a disabled toilet? Not every disability is visible!

Opinions?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xdmccann)
    I'm 17 and i was on my way to college today, I use the disabled toilet sometimes. Im not physically disabled but I have anxiety and i just prefer using them toilets. Today, i went to the theatre toilets and while i was about to go in them some man goes over and says 'why are you using the disabled toilet? The mens is empty, only use the disabled toilets if your disabled'

Then i just went to the sainsburys toilets instead and i walked out and i seen an older woman standing there waiting, i opened the door for her to walk in and she says 'are you even disabled?' with a dirty look on her face and i just told her 'not every disability is visable'

Why are some people so ignorant and judgemental just because your not physically disabled using a disabled toilet? Not every disability is visible!

Opinions?
    You've said you prefer using them. I'm sure many other people do. Meanwhile, there's people like me who need to use them because they can't wait to use the toilet.

Yes, every disability isn't visible (mine aren't; although I do wear dark glasses) but there's surely no reason why you can't use the men's toilet?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I have two invisible health conditions and anxiety, but I don't use the disabled toilets. I'm not sure if anxiety is enough for you not use the normal toilets.

Opinions?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    Obviously anxiety comes at different levels and I don't want to get too judgy here, but if you just feel a bit uncomfortable using normal toilets it is a bit of overkill to be using the disabled toilets.
    Anxiety is a legitimate issue and I'm not trying to say otherwise, but it is a bit of an iffy thing to be using disabled toilets for, especially if other toilets are empty.

That said, it's not like people are lining up for them and if you do genuinely feel like you need to use it at times go for it.
    Unfortunately, some people will always judge and you just have to deal with that.

I would urge you against relying on disabled toilets though. Anxiety is one of those things that can get a bunch worse if you enable it. Doesn't mean you should always be putting yourself outside your comfort zone, but you also don't want to just lay down and accept it.
    It might help for you t get some counselling/ therapy or look at online CBT. Ultimate goal should be for you to be able to use public toilets without discomfort (or minimal at least).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I agree with this!

If you're having a panic attack, I can understand what they're like and seeking refuge in a disabled toilet would be fine, but for general anxiety, then I don't agree with it.
    You reinforce your anxiety if you continue to avoid whatever is making you anxious. Relying on disabled toilets and avoiding the usual toilets will only make it worse.

(Original post by Kindred)
    Obviously anxiety comes at different levels and I don't want to get too judgy here, but if you just feel a bit uncomfortable using normal toilets it is a bit of overkill to be using the disabled toilets.
    Anxiety is a legitimate issue and I'm not trying to say otherwise, but it is a bit of an iffy thing to be using disabled toilets for, especially if other toilets are empty.

That said, it's not like people are lining up for them and if you do genuinely feel like you need to use it at times go for it.
    Unfortunately, some people will always judge and you just have to deal with that.

I would urge you against relying on disabled toilets though. Anxiety is one of those things that can get a bunch worse if you enable it. Doesn't mean you should always be putting yourself outside your comfort zone, but you also don't want to just lay down and accept it.
    It might help for you t get some counselling/ therapy or look at online CBT. Ultimate goal should be for you to be able to use public toilets without discomfort (or minimal at least).

I always use the disabled toilets at my work just bc I prefer to be alone lol, I hate it when other people are in the toilets the same time as me. I have anxiety but it's not so bad, but i'm not sure if it's bc of my anxiety or i just prefer it. I mean, lets be honest, there's more non disabled people than disabled so using the disabled toilet isn't the biggest issue in the world. AND why does it matter if they have to wait a few minutes to use it anyway.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I always use the disabled toilets at my work just bc I prefer to be alone lol, I hate it when other people are in the toilets the same time as me. I have anxiety but it's not so bad, but i'm not sure if it's bc of my anxiety or i just prefer it. I mean, lets be honest, there's more non disabled people than disabled so using the disabled toilet isn't the biggest issue in the world. AND why does it matter if they have to wait a few minutes to use it anyway.
    It matters when you have a disability which means you can't wait. But hey, it doesn't matter if I soil myself does it?

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a pretty big problem if there is a disabled person who needs to go to the toilet and doesn't have the option to use the other toilets. Then because of a person such as yourself is unable to go and may defecate/urinate on themselves purely because you wanted to use the disabled toilets because you prefer to be alone. That's humiliating for the disabled person.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    Well it's a pretty big problem if there is a disabled person who needs to go to the toilet and doesn't have the option to use the other toilets. Then because of a person such as yourself is unable to go and may defecate/urinate on themselves purely because you wanted to use the disabled toilets because you prefer to be alone. That's humiliating for the disabled person.
    Exactly. I have a friend whose son is in nappies. I'm not sure he'd appreciate having to wait in a dirty nappy.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Because they're disabled? Thought it was self-explanatory.

You're alone in your cubicle anyway, you're not sharing with other people. Grow up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    That's very ignorant. There are millions of people who look perfectly fine who are dealing with chronic, invisible health conditions who actually need the disabled toilet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Exactly. I have a friend whose son is in nappies. I'm not sure he'd appreciate having to wait in a dirty nappy.
    Yep.

I am probably going to be wheelchair bound in the near future (I am losing my mobility) and so the thought that people can be so flippant about this annoys me. I understand anxiety (I have it my self) but I would never use it as an excuse to use the disabled toilets. It just doesn't make sense to me.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Because they have a disability that means when they need the toilet they NEED the toilet. Yeah the chances of you using it at the same time as somebody else needs it are slim, but it can be a big deal for some people if they need to wait.

If you know nobody else in your workplace uses the disabled toilets it's not a huge deal, but just using disabled toilets for the hell of it is a bit of a D move frankly.

Anxiety is a bit of a grey area for it as far as I'm concerned, if you personally feel the need to use a disabled toilet it's a legitimate reason. If you just prefer it of find it a bit uncomfortable not to it isn't really a legitimate reason.

I have a condition that means sometimes I have a legitimate need to use the toilet right this second and if there is a queue for the ladies then it's a legitimate reason to use the disabled toilets. I don't use them any other time though. I do have a condition that would entitle me to, but I don't have a legitimate need to. It would be pretty s****y if I did (no pun intended).

Okay - everything I just said came across wrong obviously. I didn't mean it in a bad way, I was honestly just thinking about wheelchair users, I know it was stupid of me.. I didn't realize there were disabilities to do with going to the toilet (or at least didn't think about that). I'm really sorry!

And for the part where I said why does it matter if they have to wait, if there were a disabled person in the toilet you'd have to wait anyway BUT I know it would be annoying to see a non disabled person exit out. Just from observation I've never came out of a disabled toilet with a disabled person waiting. I usually use the non disabled toilets in public, just at work i use them.

However saying that, I do believe you should be allowed to use them if you have anxiety issues, especially if it's to do with being in the toilet with other people.

But again.. I'm sorry for what I said and obviously wasn't thinking.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Opinions?
    I think disabled toilets are meant for physical disabilities, not anxiety.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Okay - everything I just said came across wrong obviously. I didn't mean it in a bad way, I was honestly just thinking about wheelchair users, I know it was stupid of me.. I didn't realize there were disabilities to do with going to the toilet (or at least didn't think about that). I'm really sorry!

And for the part where I said why does it matter if they have to wait, if there were a disabled person in the toilet you'd have to wait anyway BUT I know it would be annoying to see a non disabled person exit out. Just from observation I've never came out of a disabled toilet with a disabled person waiting. I usually use the non disabled toilets in public, just at work i use them.

However saying that, I do believe you should be allowed to use them if you have anxiety issues, especially if it's to do with being in the toilet with other people.

But again.. I'm sorry for what I said and obviously wasn't thinking.
    Well, it's good that you understand your mistake
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I use the disabled toilet at work because it provides me with a strong wi-fi connection.

Haters gon' hate, I'm about that life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.