Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi I just started uni a few weeks ago I love the cry and the course is pretty interesting too but I'm finding it really difficult to make friends my flatmates are lovely but they don't really come out of their rooms much unless it's to make food or go to lectures. I have made a few mates on my course but they seem to always have so many other people to hang out with I also made a few friends during freshers but they don't really seem to keen to keep in touch as they were in different courses to me.

I just seem to have rotten luck when it comes down to it I mean I'm not perfect by any stretch but it is really boring being here and not really going out and doing much since I don't seem to be close to anyone really. I tried some clubs and societies too but trying to talk to people there feels like getting blood out of a stone when you get one word responses.

I've resorted to posting here because today I legitimately got blanked in a seminar by someone sat next to me I thought she may just be tired or something but she seemed fine talking to the people she did seem to know on another table the only time she spike to me was when she was stuck on a question. As you can imagine experiencing that is quite frustrating to say the least I'm no saint I certainly have my flaws but I reckon I am at least worth speaking to at the very least. So I'm here, asking for help to make friends I feel kinda odd asking but I just can't seem to make any haha

thank you in advance
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al8699)
    hi I just started uni a few weeks ago I love the cry and the course is pretty interesting too but I'm finding it really difficult to make friends my flatmates are lovely but they don't really come out of their rooms much unless it's to make food or go to lectures. I have made a few mates on my course but they seem to always have so many other people to hang out with I also made a few friends during freshers but they don't really seem to keen to keep in touch as they were in different courses to me.

I just seem to have rotten luck when it comes down to it I mean I'm not perfect by any stretch but it is really boring being here and not really going out and doing much since I don't seem to be close to anyone really. I tried some clubs and societies too but trying to talk to people there feels like getting blood out of a stone when you get one word responses.

I've resorted to posting here because today I legitimately got blanked in a seminar by someone sat next to me I thought she may just be tired or something but she seemed fine talking to the people she did seem to know on another table the only time she spike to me was when she was stuck on a question. As you can imagine experiencing that is quite frustrating to say the least I'm no saint I certainly have my flaws but I reckon I am at least worth speaking to at the very least. So I'm here, asking for help to make friends I feel kinda odd asking but I just can't seem to make any haha

thank you in advance
    Hey there,

Sorry to hear you're having a tough time in your first year. It can be really difficult to make friends as everybody's sort of scrambling to meet people rather than making genuine connections, especially to start with.

In my first year I didn't make any friends other than my flatmates, who all seemed to be closer with each other than they were with me which really sucked. But then in second year, I joined two societies which genuinely turned my uni life around for the better! At the start, I agree, it can be really difficult to talk to people. But remember that everyone there is in the same situation and is probably really anxious about all the new people around them, wanting to make friends but not really sure how! I always found that the first few weeks in societies could be quite awkward, but once you get to know each other little by little you end up making great friends with people you never would have met otherwise! I would say stick at the societies you've gone to and keep trying to get to know the people there. You know that you at least have one thing in common!!

There is also sports clubs, volunteering or a part time job you could try to do if any of those interest you, which are good ways to meet new people and make new friends.

Good luck and remember you aren't alone!

Ellie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.