Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I failed my AS in 2016 and it really affected my overall confidence in my abilities in school. I changed schools and basically started afresh but my attitude towards work got so bad. I find it hard to get out of bed in the morning and when it's time for tests/exams I always leave my work to the last minute because procrastination. I feel like there'd be no point because I'd probably fail. I feel very little motivation to work and when I do it's in short bursts and then I go a long period without doing anything again. I've made some progress though, I got two U's in my AS and I'm now predicted AAB. My AS grades also make me so demotivated for my UCAS application because it seems like I probably won't get offers.

I know it's very possible to go from U's to A/B grades but if I can't get out of my current mindset I think I'll be back to phase 1. What do I do?

ReputationRep:
    AS grades aren’t looked at by universities anymore because they’re being phased out, if you are predicted AAB and you have a strong personal statement, you may even be offered some unconditional offers.
    Don’t give up, you’ve gone through 12 years of school already, why waste the last year?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I completely agree with this and also MAKE SURE YOU GET HELP. If your school/college has wellbeing services, utilise them, they do help honestly. And definitely ask your teachers for help if you're struggling. Try and create goals for yourself, they can be daily ones, weekly ones, termly ones, but I find that this helps. Even if you only get one thing done in a day, you still did it! It's still an achievement. Make sure you keep on top of self care too.
    (Original post by Daniel100499)
    AS grades aren’t looked at by universities anymore because they’re being phased out, if you are predicted AAB and you have a strong personal statement, you may even be offered some unconditional offers.
    Don’t give up, you’ve gone through 12 years of school already, why waste the last year?

ReputationRep:
    No - But if you've taken AS levels, they will most definitely take them into consideration.

If a student gets EUU at AS, then gets predicted AAB, it won't be viewed as a realistic prediction. Not without proper justification in a reference, at least.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Thanks, I am going to see it through I'm just not sure if I'll do well. Honestly even if I get one conditional offer I'd be so happy.

(Original post by Poplip)
    I completely agree with this and also MAKE SURE YOU GET HELP. If your school/college has wellbeing services, utilise them, they do help honestly. And definitely ask your teachers for help if you're struggling. Try and create goals for yourself, they can be daily ones, weekly ones, termly ones, but I find that this helps. Even if you only get one thing done in a day, you still did it! It's still an achievement. Make sure you keep on top of self care too.
    We have a counselor but I know someone who used to go to her and they told me the counsellor wasn't confidential at all. I don't want my mum to think I'm not capable of taking care of myself, I'm kind of just waiting it out till I leave so I can find better treatment on my own terms if you get what I mean. I have long term goals but I think I should improve my short terms ones. I'll try to start the daily/weekly goals and see which works for me thank you so much.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 19, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.