Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What do you think of Jacob Rees-Mogg? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Absolute tw*t who could not possibly be any less aware of the struggles of the average person and espouses views I find utterly disgusting. But hey, he's not afraid to voice unpopular opinions and generally explains himself well, which is fairly rare for a politician.

ReputationRep:
    I find it difficult to comprehend how someone so completely out of touch with the lives of the average person could ever be elected to represent them. But then, given the state of British politics at the moment, it's hardly surprising.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    But the reality is that for the most part, one party's possibles and another party's possibles are not the same people. Cobyn's vote at the general election didn't come at the expense of May who also increased her vote.
    The problem for the Tories now is that there is hardly any UKIP vote to eat into at the next election. After the 2015 election there were tens of Labour held seats in which the combined Tory and UKIP vote was higher than the Labour vote. Now there are hardly any.

Corbyn isn't popular because he's 'authentic'. The Greens and UKIP are authentic but neither got very many votes. Corbyn is popular because he speaks about issues that people care about, that actually affect them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AllonsEnfants!)
    He is against same-sex marriage and abortion because he is a Catholic, that does not make him 'a piece of ****''.

You appear to take the view that others can hold any view you like on same-sex marriage and the same with abortion. How very reasonable of you
    but now you seem to be denouncing someone else's opinion as well... how paradoxical

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charliertn)
    but now you seem to be denouncing someone else's opinion as well... how paradoxical
    Eh? Sorry, you lost me there - who have I 'denounced'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    The problem for the Tories now is that there is hardly any UKIP vote to eat into at the next election. After the 2015 election there were tens of Labour held seats in which the combined Tory and UKIP vote was higher than the Labour vote. Now there are hardly any.

Corbyn isn't popular because he's 'authentic'. The Greens and UKIP are authentic but neither got very many votes. Corbyn is popular because he speaks about issues that people care about, that actually affect them.
    Corbyn was popular because he promised to make families across the country tens of thousands of pounds better off by axing tuition fees. Even lifelong Tories could not resist the bait - you could tell by all the people holding their noses when they went to vote.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Rees-Mogg's views are utterly despicable and out of touch with modern Britain. This is why, as a Labour supporter, I will be encouraging all my Tory friends to sign up and vote for him whenever strong and stable crashes out of No 10. He's the best way of getting a Labour government apart from Theresa May herself.

ReputationRep:

Name:  jrmfinal.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  79.5 KB

Here's Jakie !!

ReputationRep:
    As a right-winger, I think he's not better than a Salafi.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Rees-Mogg's views are utterly despicable and out of touch with modern Britain. This is why, as a Labour supporter, I will be encouraging all my Tory friends to sign up and vote for him whenever strong and stable crashes out of No 10. He's the best way of getting a Labour government apart from Theresa May herself.
    Indeed. It makes me rather happy to see Tories want JRM as their next leader, if for no other reason it shows that they have given up on winning the next election and have instead decided to wrap themselves up in a hard right comfort blanket.

They are a party without any ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Lad.

ReputationRep:
    I always enjoy it when people just asset that a political opponent is 'out of touch'.

A decent chuck of the population agrees with him on a lot of stuff. He's not unpopular. The 'metropolitan elite' (I dislike the term but it does describe who I'm talking about) despises him and his values, but who's really out of touch? If the referendum showed anything it's that London-dwelling centrists aren't as universally admired in most of the country as they like to imagine themselves to be.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you were one of those people!

The reason people vote for Corbyn is because he talks about issues that are actually important to them like health, housing, job security, public services etc. While you were obsessed with non-issues, such as making out he would leave NATO, others were looking at a failed housing market. While Tories were going on and on about the IRA, young graduates and even middle class professionals were seeing their costs of living rise while their wages were stagnating. The Tories and the media just don't get Corbyn or his appeal, and they still think they can counter it by going on about the IRA.

Quite how you think Mogg will sweep up those votes by talking about same sex marriage and abortion, I'm really not sure. Why on earth would anyone under 40 who voted Corbyn, change to Rees Mogg?

Just as you've done consistently over the last couple of years, you underestimate Corbyn and simply don't understand why people vote for him. When Tories support Rees Moog, it shows more than anything that they have totally run out of ideas.
    Why would Obama voters vote for Trump in 2016?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.mcc...147475484.html

Mogg would presumably fight an election based on things that DO concern the public- national security, immigration, housing and the Economy. I think people would be less bothered about his own personal beliefs than you think. He has already said he wouldn’t change existing laws.

He would not be campaigning to overturn gay marriage and abortion just as Corbyn did not on leaving Nato or abolish the monarchy.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davij038)
    Why would Obama voters vote for Trump in 2016?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/amp.mcc...147475484.html
    The reason why some Obama voters voted for Trump was because of Trump's perceived economic populism/leftism. In the rust belt states where Trump won, he spoke out against free trade and in favour of protectionism. He promised to slap tariffs on foreign goods if American factory owners relocated. He promised to withdraw from NAFTA and not to sign up to TPP. He spoke about the 'left behind' and promised huge levels of investment.

Of course he didn't mean any of that, just as the leave campaign didn't actually mean that they wanted to spend £350 million a week on the NHS but that was a major reason for Trump's success. Quite a lot of voters who would have voted Sanders, instead chose Trump. Trump didn't win because his voters wanted more cut throat free-market capitalism.

Mogg would presumably fight an election based on things that DO concern the public- national security, immigration, housing and the Economy. I think people would be less bothered about his own personal beliefs than you think. He has already said he wouldn’t change existing laws.

He would not be campaigning to overturn gay marriage and abortion just as Corbyn did not on leaving Nato or abolish the monarchy
    The Tories are weak on all four of those and i'm not really sure why you think Mogg will make much headway. As for housing, whatever he offers will be less than Corbyn. Plus Mogg is a dry Thatcherite, he's not going to start spending tens of billions on much needed investment.

The Tories are particularly weak on the economy and finally the public is starting to see it. We have the slowest growth of the top 10 largest EU economies, stagnating wages, rising living costs etc. Heck even at PMQs this week Corbyn was getting the better of the Tories on the economy.

Again, the Tories seem to have given up winning the next election and have decided to wrap themselves up in a Mogg comfort blanket. Rather than go for someone modern, young and liberal who could resonate with young voters like Davidson, they've decided to go for a 'piss off the left' candidate.

The difference between Mogg and Corbyn is that Corbyn's populist beliefs are rather popular, Mogg's are not, bar immigration on which he is no different from his party.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    I always enjoy it when people just asset that a political opponent is 'out of touch'.

A decent chuck of the population agrees with him on a lot of stuff. He's not unpopular. The 'metropolitan elite' (I dislike the term but it does describe who I'm talking about) despises him and his values, but who's really out of touch? If the referendum showed anything it's that London-dwelling centrists aren't as universally admired in most of the country as they like to imagine themselves to be.
    Describing Mogg as anything other than 'elitist' seems really rather peculiar.

The Tories seem to have learnt nothing from the 2017 election.

ReputationRep:
    Rather than go for someone modern, young and liberal who could resonate with young voters like Davidson, they've decided to go for a 'piss off the left' candidate.
    We don't want modern or liberal and we're not particularly enamoured with young. It's nothing to do with pissing off the left.

ReputationRep:
    Describing Mogg as anything other than 'elitist' seems really rather peculiar.

The Tories seem to have learnt nothing from the 2017 election.
    This is curious. He is the elite, but does that mean he is automatically elitist? Do you think, if suitably qualified, he would not favour those from working-class backgrounds into the political class? It is like Gracchus says in Gladiator: "I don't pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people."

And as to his being the elite, I think I want the best and brightest at the forefront of British politics. There is nothing shameful in that.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    We don't want modern or liberal and we're not particularly enamoured with young. It's nothing to do with pissing off the left.

When I say liberal, I mean genuinely socially liberal, not SJW 'you assumed my gender' liberal. Why would you not want your leader to be socially liberal and laissez faire with what people do with their own bodies/relationships?

Ruth Davidson is the real star in your party. Instead a good chunk of your party wants to turn inwards to a sort of angry nativism.

It does seem that the support for JRM is out of desperation.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    This is curious. He is the elite, but does that mean he is automatically elitist? Do you think, if suitably qualified, he would not favour those from working-class backgrounds into the political class? It is like Gracchus says in Gladiator: "I don't pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people."

And as to his being the elite, I think I want the best and brightest at the forefront of British politics. There is nothing shameful in that.
    Oh come on, if Rees Mogg isn't 'elitist' then the term has no meaning. I'm not even saying there's that much wrong with being 'elitist' per se, just that Mogg most definitely is.

He's clearly not a 'man of the people' or even a 'man for the people.'

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on, if Rees Mogg isn't 'elitist' then the term has no meaning. I'm not even saying there's that much wrong with being 'elitist' per se, just that Mogg most definitely is.

He's clearly not a 'man of the people' or even a 'man for the people.'
    I don't think there is a malicious bone in his body. He seems very honest, generous and giving.

You cannot just say "yeah but, he's JRM, he is elitist!" -- how is he elitist? What has he done that is elitist? I think I would agree his success is the product of elitism, in part, but that doesn't mean he wishes to propagate the system that got him to where he is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.