Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hi, i am currently in my first year at university and am wanting to drop out. its my 4th week of being here (not including freshers) and aren't enjoying my course. i have spoke to student support at my university and they have told me i have to pay 25% of my years fees and the give 8 week notice on accommodation. I have been given a maintenance loan for the year but i am obviously dropping out so what happens with that? do i have to pay it back out of my own money? can i do this when i start earning over a certain amount? also do i only get given my first instalment or does the fund carry on for the year? lastly, if i reapply to university next year will i be allowed to get reapply for all funds?

thank you
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGelvin)
    hi, i am currently in my first year at university and am wanting to drop out. its my 4th week of being here (not including freshers) and aren't enjoying my course. i have spoke to student support at my university and they have told me i have to pay 25% of my years fees and the give 8 week notice on accommodation. I have been given a maintenance loan for the year but i am obviously dropping out so what happens with that? do i have to pay it back out of my own money? can i do this when i start earning over a certain amount? also do i only get given my first instalment or does the fund carry on for the year? lastly, if i reapply to university next year will i be allowed to get reapply for all funds?

thank you
    You would be expected to pay back the loan minus an amount for the 4 weeks you were there, unlike in normal circumstances you would be expected to pay it back as soon as possible, and if you can't pay that amount back before next year i think they usually take it off next years entitlement. You'll only get your first entitlement.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LGelvin)

thank you
    Hi LGelvin,

If you withdraw from your course, your university will advise us of the withdrawal and date last attended electronically. The remainder of your payments will stop.

Where initially you were assessed from September to September, and that entitlement split into three almost equal instalments.

You will now be reassessed up until the the last day that you attended and send you a new entitlement letter.

We will then look at the payments that you have already received

You can be confident that the loan that you were entitled to, for the length of time that you were there, you do not become eligible to repay until the April following your withdrawal and only then when earning over the threshold.

If you have received more than you were actually entitled to, you will receive a letter advising of any overpayments.

Any amount of loan or grants that you were overpaid, would become repayable immediately, there will be a telephone number on the letter to call and make arrangements to repay.

Thanks Rona

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.