Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    I wouldn't regard smacking as even a minor transgression to be honest. You're bracketing it inside 'violence' to draw a false equivalence with actual assaults, the use of force which is actually intended to harm. Smacking is explicitly intended not to harm.

Now, it's perfectly reasonable to oppose smacking on various grounds, but your argument is just to asset that it's violence and all violence is evil and blah blah blah. Your argument has been predicated strongly on semantics, so I make no apology for drawing attention to your gross misuse of words.
    If you smack a child and it doesn't hurt/harm them, then it has no use as a deterrant and the child won't learn anything. So, in orde for it to be useful as a deterrant, it would have to hurt/harm the child.

I'm not trying to equate all violence as evil or place smacking on the same level as beheading. The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of what else is going on in the world, it's a bad/horrendous/negative/(insert synonym).

My argument isn't predicated on semantics, use whatever words you want. Hitting a child is negative (is that word connotation-free enough for you?) and should not be done. The words I use to convey that point are of no real consequence. How about we focus on the actual topic, rather than my words?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't violence against a child isn't bad enough, on a global evil scale, to constitute horrendous if your worldview. I mean this as a genuine question, if violence against children isn't horrendous on your book, what else isn't horrendous to you, when compared to atrocities like beheading? Is rape ok? Is murder by shooting ok?

No, seriously. Are these not horrendous to you? I ask because I see two options here: Either they are simply minor transgressions, when compared on a global scale, and as such need to be treated as only minor transgressions; OR, you care so much about what words someone uses to describes these acts that you focus the conversation on words rather than actions.
    I wouldn't regard smacking as even a minor transgression to be honest. You're bracketing it inside 'violence' to draw a false equivalence with actual assaults, the use of force which is actually intended to harm. Smacking is explicitly intended not to harm.

Now, it's perfectly reasonable to oppose smacking on various grounds, but your argument is just to asset that it's violence and all violence is evil and blah blah blah. Your argument has been predicated strongly on semantics, so I make no apology for drawing attention to your gross misuse of words.
    But where do you draw the line? In legality Insulting or offensive words or behaviour intended to cause alarm or distress is just as much a crime as physical assault as smacking is being treat.

Smacking should not cause any physical harm however verbal punishments can be worse and can be mentally traumatic.
    Bad words can last a long time in a child's mind, long long after the sting of a smack has gone. Destroying or taking away a child's beloved toy can also be very upsetting to that child and be mentally traumatic.

Basically ban smacking and it could be replaced with non-physical verbal punishments or behaviour that could be mentally traumatic to a child and mental trauma could last a life time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    You can justify almost anything in it being not as bad as beheading someone...
    In fairness to me, I was trying to point out the overinflated language in play.

ReputationRep:
    If you smack a child and it doesn't hurt/harm them, then it has no use as a deterrant and the child won't learn anything. So, in orde for it to be useful as a deterrant, it would have to hurt/harm the child.

I'm not trying to equate all violence as evil or place smacking on the same level as beheading. The point I'm trying to make is that regardless of what else is going on in the world, it's a bad/horrendous/negative/(insert synonym).

My argument isn't predicated on semantics, use whatever words you want. Hitting a child is negative (is that word connotation-free enough for you?) and should not be done. The words I use to convey that point are of no real consequence. How about we focus on the actual topic, rather than my words?
    Well, I'm sorry to bring it back to words, which I know annoys you, but you keep saying 'hurt/harm' as a unit as if they're the same, which of course they are very much not.

Are we really saying we should never inflict momentary pain on a child? I would strongly contest that that constitutes harm.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm sorry to bring it back to words, which I know annoys you, but you keep saying 'hurt/harm' as a unit as if they're the same, which of course they are very much not.

Are we really saying we should never inflict momentary pain on a child? I would strongly contest that that constitutes harm.
    When I said "hurt/harm", I just meant if it caused pain to the child, not whether it caused long lasting harm in the form of a bruise or emotional damage.

If there is a way to teach the child the lesson without pain, then always use that first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ambitious1999)
    But where do you draw the line? In legality Insulting or offensive words or behaviour intended to cause alarm or distress is just as much a crime as physical assault as smacking is being treat.

Smacking should not cause any physical harm however verbal punishments can be worse and can be mentally traumatic.
    Bad words can last a long time in a child's mind, long long after the sting of a smack has gone. Destroying or taking away a child's beloved toy can also be very upsetting to that child and be mentally traumatic.

Basically ban smacking and it could be replaced with non-physical verbal punishments or behaviour that could be mentally traumatic to a child and mental trauma could last a life time.
    In the same way that most people can see the difference between a slap on the back of the legs and beating a child with a blunt instrument, I think there is a fairly clear difference between, say, a strong telling off and sustained psychological abuse.

Parents need methods by which to discipline children, and kids need discipline. If we follow this 'you should never be mean to your child' logic everyone will end up with utter brats.

ReputationRep:
    When I said "hurt/harm", I just meant if it caused pain to the child, not whether it caused long lasting harm in the form of a bruise or emotional damage.

If there is a way to teach the child the lesson without pain, then always use that first.
    I don't think anyone's arguing that physical chastisement should be the first option, but that it can be an effective one in certain circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    I don't need any perspective. Just because there are far worse beings in the world doesn't mean the lesser of the evils isn't evil. Smacking a child doesn't compare to beheading, but it is still horrendous nonetheless.
    I think the most sinister issue about banning Smacking in Scotland is that they are trying to bring Scotland inline with the rest of the EU where smacking is banned in most countries.
    Scotland is trying to pretend it will always be part of the EU by trying to be like the EU. Maybe they're doing it just to irritate England? We know they disrespect the will of Britain to leave the EU and are using unsavoury subversive political thoughts to oppose British values. Maybe the solution is direct control over Scotland from Westminster?

ReputationRep:
    I was smacked and I honestly believe it did me a lot of good growing up..
    Stupid law, within reason smacking should be allowed but to outright ban any and all forms of it is stupidity...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I was smacked and I honestly believe it did me a lot of good growing up..
    Stupid law, within reason smacking should be allowed but to outright ban any and all forms of it is stupidity...
    People on here think its child abuse 😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    when i was a kid i get caned almost everyday in school. sometimes at home by parents too.

made me a very discipline person, but also made me introverted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calders37)
    I don't agree that smacking a child is the primary method of disciplining a child. I do however believe that gently smacking a child in a situation where they would have potentially been hurt a lot worse if they had been allowed to continue is a good method of learning by associating the action with pain. As people have said previously, there is a huge difference between responsibly smacking a child and abuse.
    I agree.
    If you are smacking hard enough to leave marks, bruises etc, then that would be abuse, but a light smack on the bottom to discourage bad behaviour is OK.

ReputationRep:
    It's turning into a police state!
    A knock on the door whenever a voice is raised!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Snowflake generation never fails to disappoint.
    You hit the spot mate.

ReputationRep:
    I think that with an issue like this education is more effective than prosecution. How about educating parents what the most effective methods of behavioural management are, rather than making stupid laws that can't be enforced.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    For me, I'm less concerned over whether spanking is an effective form of punishment and more concerned over what the authorities will be doing every time there's a rumour of a parent slapping their child's hand when reaching for something they shouldn't have.

It's all well and good thinking "Great, spanking is wrong, it should be illegal", but it's easy to forget all the arrests and criminal proceedings that could now happen to perfectly good parents, as well as the resources this will consume.

The authorities have enough to watch out for these days, as do ordinary citizens. Now spanking is on the growing list of trivial offences that must be policed and controlled by the state.
    How likely is this going to be?

ReputationRep:
    The people who disagree with this law really just aren't getting it. They can't be reasoned with and they won't understand reason.

Someone should smack some sense into them until they learn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    For all the people that think it's ok to smack your child or disagree with it being banned, why is it ok to smack a child but not an adult? If I hit or slap an adult I'll get arrested, if I smack a defenceless child that's ok is it? Something doesn't quite seem right here...
    There's difference between disciplining your own child by mildly smacking their bottom versus smacking a stranger. I've been smacked with a hand or a thin bush branch and so what? I grew up just perfectly fine and not a violent person either but know a lot of kids who grew up spoiled brats because talking was not an option to them and parents did not discipline their kids.

I see how some parents nowadays discipline their kids.. a kid drops on the floor with their tantrums and mommy or daddy treats them like they are fragile flower stems that are about to break in half :facepalm: A mild smack on the bottom never killed anyone, so what's the problem?

If parents don't discipline their kids, they grow up knowing no limits and think they can do whatever they want and be untouchable. Instead of ruling out silly laws like that they should focus on making stricter punishments for crimes committed by the same kids..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    How likely is this going to be?
    I'd estimate pretty likely. What, you think it's completely impossible that at some loving parent won't give a smack on the back of the legs to a misbehaving child and some busybody will call the police/social services?

(Original post by SHallowvale)
    The people who disagree with this law really just aren't getting it. They can't be reasoned with and they won't understand reason.
    That's awfully convenient for you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd estimate pretty likely. What, you think it's completely impossible that at some loving parent won't give a smack on the back of the legs to a misbehaving child and some busybody will call the police/social services?
    Unless real evidence is presented then little can be done. "I saw them do it!" doesn't really get very far, as far as I'm aware...

That's awfully convenient for you.
    You missed the point completely.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.