Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    There's difference between disciplining your own child by mildly smacking their bottom versus smacking a stranger. I've been smacked with a hand or a thin bush branch and so what? I grew up just perfectly fine and not a violent person either but know a lot of kids who grew up spoiled brats because talking was not an option to them and parents did not discipline their kids.

I see how some parents nowadays discipline their kids.. a kid drops on the floor with their tantrums and mommy or daddy treats them like they are fragile flower stems that are about to break in half :facepalm: A mild smack on the bottom never killed anyone, so what's the problem?

If parents don't discipline their kids, they grow up knowing no limits and think they can do whatever they want and be untouchable. Instead of ruling out silly laws like that they should focus on making stricter punishments for crimes committed by the same kids..
    Why do you act like smacking a child is the only form of discipline?

ReputationRep:
    nowadays you don't need to smack them. just take their phone or console or whatever off them for a while

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Unless real evidence is presented then little can be done. "I saw them do it!" doesn't really get very far, as far as I'm aware...
    There are plenty of documented cases of social services taking away kids on flimsy evidence and parents fighting long battles through (secret) family courts to get them back, if indeed they do.

Parents who actually abuse their children are already subject to the law. The only affect this further law can have is to penalise innocent families. And let's face it, when have we ever given the state the opportunity to exert control over families which they have not taken up with abandon?

You missed the point completely.
    Did I? Then please explain.

ReputationRep:
    white people go way too easy on their kids smh

ReputationRep:
    Good. It has negative affects on childrens mental health.

source: me

ReputationRep:
    I wonder what would happen if you were stood half in Scotland and half in England and smacked a child?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHallowvale)
    Why do you act like smacking a child is the only form of discipline?
    Why do you act like your views are automatically correct just because some parents abuse their authority in the form of smacking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rinsed)
    There are plenty of documented cases of social services taking away kids on flimsy evidence and parents fighting long battles through (secret) family courts to get them back, if indeed they do.

Parents who actually abuse their children are already subject to the law. The only affect this further law can have is to penalise innocent families. And let's face it, when have we ever given the state the opportunity to exert control over families which they have not taken up with abandon?

Do you have any examples of those cases?

I can imagine this law would have at least two affects:

1. Stop existing parents who use smacking from smacking their children.
    2. Act as a deterrent against parents who have considered using smacking.

(Original post by Rinsed)
    Did I? Then please explain.
    It was a joke - I was making fun of the people who think that smacking is necessary when a child cannot be reasoned with. I was applying the same logic to the people in this thread, most of whom I imagine are teenagers/adults.

(Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian)
    Why do you act like your views are automatically correct just because some parents abuse their authority in the form of smacking?
    This isn't at all relevant.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't at all relevant.[/QUOTE]

It may not be relevant to you but I deem it relevant, hence why I gave you that reply. The way I interpreted it was you seeing your opinion as superior because you're all making us out to be child *abusers. What's wrong with a little smack when a child has been naughty? It's not as If we're promoting smacking your child until they're black and blue.

* = I am not trying to put words in your mouth. Apologies if that's not how you all intend your replies to come across. It is how I've interpreted your arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Where does the law say that, exactly?

By that logic, there's no such thing as child abuse, anything a parent decides to do to a child is fair game.
    No, by that logic, it's none of your business. You got a problem then treat your own child the way you want. None of your business what anyone els is doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gapyearlads)
    No, by that logic, it's none of your business. You got a problem then treat your own child the way you want. None of your business what anyone els is doing
    When does it become someone's business? Is it "none of your business" if a parent is molesting a child? Is it "none of your business" if a parent is beating a child so much they need to go to A&E?

In other words, I'm presuming you do have a threshold for where it stops being "none of your business". So where is it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's good but how would they know if a parent is smacking their child ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41678797

Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland, the Scottish government has confirmed. The move would make the country the first part of the UK to outlaw the physical punishment of children.

Ministers had previously said they did not support parents using physical chastisement, but had "no plans" to bring forward legislation of their own. But the government has now confirmed it will ensure a bill lodged by Green MSP John Finnie will become law. And it is understood that ministers will work with Mr Finnie to implement the bill in practice.

His proposals, which were out for consultation over the summer, would give children the same legal protection as adults. At present, parents in Scotland can claim a defence of "justifiable assault" when punishing their child - although the use of an "implement" in any punishment is banned, as is shaking or striking a child on the head.

I've never agreed with smacking your child so this is great news and I hope the rest of the UK follows.

I was very lucky in some respects as I was so ugly as a child that my parents were unsure as to which end they should smack .

Luckily , it did me no long term damage and I went onto become a senior British agent who no one ever took too seriously .

Johnny English .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.