Turn on thread page Beta

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Where does the law say that, exactly?

By that logic, there's no such thing as child abuse, anything a parent decides to do to a child is fair game.
    No, by that logic, it's none of your business. You got a problem then treat your own child the way you want. None of your business what anyone els is doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gapyearlads)
    No, by that logic, it's none of your business. You got a problem then treat your own child the way you want. None of your business what anyone els is doing
    When does it become someone's business? Is it "none of your business" if a parent is molesting a child? Is it "none of your business" if a parent is beating a child so much they need to go to A&E?

In other words, I'm presuming you do have a threshold for where it stops being "none of your business". So where is it?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    It's good but how would they know if a parent is smacking their child ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41678797

Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland, the Scottish government has confirmed. The move would make the country the first part of the UK to outlaw the physical punishment of children.

Ministers had previously said they did not support parents using physical chastisement, but had "no plans" to bring forward legislation of their own. But the government has now confirmed it will ensure a bill lodged by Green MSP John Finnie will become law. And it is understood that ministers will work with Mr Finnie to implement the bill in practice.

His proposals, which were out for consultation over the summer, would give children the same legal protection as adults. At present, parents in Scotland can claim a defence of "justifiable assault" when punishing their child - although the use of an "implement" in any punishment is banned, as is shaking or striking a child on the head.

I've never agreed with smacking your child so this is great news and I hope the rest of the UK follows.

I was very lucky in some respects as I was so ugly as a child that my parents were unsure as to which end they should smack .

Luckily , it did me no long term damage and I went onto become a senior British agent who no one ever took too seriously .

Johnny English .

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.