Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    Snowflake generation never fails to disappoint.
    I don’t agree with you. Physical contact is not a way to punish children.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    proceeds to appeal to empirical 'facts'
    Looks like he’s “had enough of experts” like Michael Gove

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 12ksmith)
    It’s that just physical abuse.

Let’s put it into another context. Say you got a parking fine. The parking attendant doesn’t come over and ***** slap you, does he? He doesn’t do it because he’s probably a nice guy (besides the point) and it’s ASSAULT.
    Don't buy that. The amount of trouble we see in our streets and in schools would be solved with swift corporal punishment in schools and from parents at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    Looks like he’s “had enough of experts” like Michael Gove
    I wish I had a right to clout him around the head. Might knock some sense into him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Guru Jason)
    Don't buy that. The amount of trouble we see in our streets and in schools would be solved with swift corporal punishment in schools and from parents at home.
    No chance

ReputationRep:
    Great, more snowflakes will be raised in Scotland

I don't agree with beating your children black and blue but smacking when they are out of line should not be an offence

ReputationRep:
    For me, I'm less concerned over whether spanking is an effective form of punishment and more concerned over what the authorities will be doing every time there's a rumour of a parent slapping their child's hand when reaching for something they shouldn't have.

It's all well and good thinking "Great, spanking is wrong, it should be illegal", but it's easy to forget all the arrests and criminal proceedings that could now happen to perfectly good parents, as well as the resources this will consume.

The authorities have enough to watch out for these days, as do ordinary citizens. Now spanking is on the growing list of trivial offences that must be policed and controlled by the state.

ReputationRep:
    I disagree with this. Parents should be able to discipline there children by smacking when needed. (Yes I do feel there are times when it is needed)
    It absolutely isn't needed. All smacking kids does is send them the message that hitting someone is acceptable.

I have two kids. I am very proud of the fact I have never hit either of them. They are both well behaved. When they cross the line they are sanctioned. They certainly know when they have done something wrong.

The issue with unruly kids isn't that they are not smacked. It is that the rules they are required to adhere to are either inconsistent, sporadic or non-existent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    It's all well and good thinking "Great, spanking is wrong, it should be illegal", but it's easy to forget all the arrests and criminal proceedings that could now happen to perfectly good parents, as well as the resources this will consume.

The authorities have enough to watch out for these days, as do ordinary citizens. Now spanking is on the growing list of trivial offences that must be policed and controlled by the state.
    Where do you draw the line though? Baby P? If we live in a civilised society of equality, the right not to be physically abused is surely at its heard regardless of whether you are 6 or 60? I don't think I would say that someone who hit their kids was a good parent, especially as there are so many well documented alternatives that work.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I am so so so happy about this. There's basically never a reason to hit a child. If they don't understand with words then they won't understand with pain either.

Only possible exception I can think is if your kid keeps running out into the road despite repeated explanation, or something similarly dangerous - a quick slap on the flank would be better than being run over...

(Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    Alright... but I want the right to hit the parents. Especially the mum, since she can't really fight back.

In fact I think the work place would be much more interesting if my boss new I had the right to some level of physical retaliation. I want low level physical violence to be legalised. I'm bigger and fitter than most of the fat blobs that exist in society, especially the older ones who are more likely to wield economic power over me. Might equalise things a bit. If adults can hit children, who are so much weaker than the differential between men and women... I want to be able to hit women as well.
    Scared to rep in case this isn't actually facetiousness :lol:

Spoiler:
    Show

Some of my trainees keep doing the wrong thing despite being told otherwise, maybe I should give them a short sharp thwack to help them remember :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    It absolutely isn't needed. All smacking kids does is send them the message that hitting someone is acceptable.

I have two kids. I am very proud of the fact I have never hit either of them. They are both well behaved. When they cross the line they are sanctioned. They certainly know when they have done something wrong.

The issue with unruly kids isn't that they are not smacked. It is that the rules they are required to adhere to are either inconsistent, sporadic or non-existent.
    Smacking teaches that there are consequences to actions. Kids learn quick if this is done when needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    It's baffling that some of you think a little disciplining can be detrimental.

i'm not going to explain my viewpoint, if you don't understand then you never will.

I just want to finish off by saying that disciplining your child does not make you a bad parent.
    I'd bet money that everyone here agrees that discipline is beneficial to the development of all children. The disagreement comes when some people utterly fail to realise that disciplie can be taught WITHOUT violence.

(Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Lmao, so many of these posters must've got beat as a child
    Have you ever been in a car crash? Perhaps not, but I'd bet you agree that car crashed are horrible. We don't need to have been smacked as children to understand that it's terrible parenting.

That's like saying boxing and martial arts are abusive. It isn't if you have a valid reason.
    Boxers and martial artists choose to enter the arena knowing they are likely to get hit. Entirely different scenario.

(Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian)
    I would give you a list of scenarios where smacking was okay but I don't want to end up in an argument. I only replied to your comment because I thought it was unnecessary to call another user abusive. Again, that's my opinion. It's clear we have differing views on the issue.
    Like I said in my previous reply anyway, "different parents will have different opinions on whether a scenario is worthy of smacking". Basically, it's a subjective issue so arguing a scenario is a bit pointless to me when opinions are going to differ.
    I respect your opinion. I just think smacking is a reasonable punishment if I feel the child has deserved it. I disagree with child abuse (i.e smacking for no reason, etc.) Though I've never been smacked as a child, my siblings were and they turned out okay. My mother was smacked for punishment too. I personally don't think it causes any harm if it's deserved. Again, whether it's deserved or not is subjective but you get the gist.
    Right, so you're NOT going to tell me when it's okay for an adult to hurt a child, gotcha. Sure, plenty of people turn out OK when they experienced certain things when they were younger, but that makes absolutely no difference as to whether that thing is justified. I know someone who was raped, but they never let it tear them down and they never call themselves a victim, but a survivor. Just because you can overcome something, doesn't mean that thing is OK.

(Original post by Prince of TSR)
    If you're hitting hard enough to inflict an injury/leave a mark or a bruise, then yes that's abuse.

But if you're smacking to discipline/discourage bad behaviour from a child it's not.
    If you don't hit hard enough, then the pain won't be sufficient to discourage them from repeating their actions. If the pain is enough to cause the child to cry, then I consider that abuse. Children shouldn't fear their parents.

In your scenario then sure a child that learns their lesson on their own but I tell you many children, myself included when I was younger, dont listen to reason. A good thrashing sorted my behaviour out better than any words could. I'm all the better for it.

The fear always leads to obedience if done from a young age.
    Then appeal to their selfishness to discourage them. Don't wanna lose your favourite toy for a week? Then don't hit Timmy again.

ReputationRep:
    Good, imo hitting a child is never okay. Using fear as a method of discipline is disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    Smacking teaches that there are consequences to actions. Kids learn quick if this is done when needed.
    It really doesn't work and there are plenty of studies to prove so. Good discipline is about setting boundaries and being consistent in the actions we take when those boundaries are crossed. You don't need to use violence to make that point clear.

There were still lots of naughty children around when corporal punishment was common place in the home and school. It didn't work then. It doesn't work now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    I agree, studies have shown that smacking was only effective for a short time as the pain is forgotten shortly afterwards and not as a long term deterrent. As they get older, they're going to need smacking harder and harder to feel it which can easily be classed as abuse.
    And as they get older they learn that they can hit hard too. Most parents are undeservedly lucky that the kids take that out on other kids instead of them.

ReputationRep:
    Also, to OP, good. It's a disgusting and demeaning practice that should have been stopped years ago.

ReputationRep:
    Smacking teaches that there are consequences to actions.
    No, it teaches them that there are consequences to actions against someone stronger than them. It teaches them that anyone who can't hit hard enough is fair game.

ReputationRep:
    It's interesting how people would be for smacking a naughty child but probably against smacking a naughty disabled 18-year-old with the mind of an 8-year-old.

ReputationRep:
    So many hippies here when it comes to raising kids 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    So many hippies here when it comes to raising kids 😂
    If choosing to be a decent parent who never lays a a hand on my children makes me a hippie, so be it. I'd rather be a hippie than a grown adult laying a hand on a child.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.