The Student Room Group

Smacking your child to be banned in Scotland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Good, never agreed with hitting a child to punish them,
should i spank my child.png
Have never agreed with this, so a good move by Scotland. There's no circumstance I could imagine where I would need to hit my kid.
Reply 62
Original post by arizonaidiot
This is the reason kids and teens these days have come up with a million genders and identities and have become so ridiculously sensitive.Stupidity knows no bounds.

Ah, so the lack of physical abuse of a child has a direct correlation to gender identity issues? ...present your evidence professor :facepalm:
Original post by VinnicombeDmv

What's better: A child who no longer screams because they understand it's disturbing to others (and perhaps futile), or a child who no longer screams because they are scared of their parent's palm?

That's not the outcome that comes out of smacking. It teaches the child that the reason they got the smack is because they did something wrong, therefore they fear doing something wrong.
Original post by AmeliaLost

Scared to rep in case this isn't actually facetiousness :lol:

Spoiler

being able to give your boss a slap does seem appealing :rofl:

Original post by arizonaidiot
This is the reason kids and teens these days have come up with a million genders and identities and have become so ridiculously sensitive.Stupidity knows no bounds.

Translation: "We need to beat the gay out of our children"
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by VirgoStrain
How’s this gonna be enforced? Video cameras in every room in the entire country?

Do you know how law works?? And omg this actually got reps?

If there is no law against smacking kids then a smacked child can't report it....

How did you miss that?
Original post by itsfantanoo
That's not the outcome that comes out of smacking. It teaches the child that the reason they got the smack is because they did something wrong, therefore they fear doing something wrong.

Okay, so let's say you have a son, and you hit him from time to time when he does something you think warrants punishment. He might know that the reason he was hit was because it had done 'something wrong'.. but he's also learned that it's acceptable to deal with people doing 'something wrong' by hitting them.

Let's say he then grows up, and one of his parents does something he perceives as 'wrong'. Is it okay for him to hit that parent?
Original post by *pitseleh*
Okay, so let's say you have a son, and you hit him from time to time when he does something you think warrants punishment. He might know that the reason he was hit was because it had done 'something wrong'.. but he's also learned that it's acceptable to deal with people doing 'something wrong' by hitting them.

Let's say he then grows up, and one of his parents does something he perceives as 'wrong'. Is it okay for him to hit that parent?

No, he wouldn't. Why does every "anti smacking" argument stem from the idea that it'll ingrain this idea that they'll perceive the whole thing irrationally?

They're children not apes or animals, they understand that it's a parent-child thing.
Original post by paul514
So many hippies here when it comes to raising kids 😂

Why oh why am I not aloud to smack some sense into you.
No, he wouldn't. Why does every "anti smacking" argument stem from the idea that it'll ingrain this idea that they'll perceive the whole thing irrationally?

They're children not apes or animals, they understand that it's a parent-child thing.

Actually, there's quite a lot of documented evidence regarding behaviours children learn from their parents/other influential adults.

Besides which, you've not explained why it's acceptable as a parent-child thing but not as a child-parent thing.
Actually, there's quite a lot of documented evidence regarding behaviours children learn from their parents/other influential adults.

Besides which, you've not explained why it's acceptable as a parent-child thing but not as a child-parent thing.

Difference is that smacking is not any old behaviour, it's a form of discipline. It's not spontaneous, it's used in specific situations.

Again, children aren't stupid animals. There's really nothing I can say, children understand the authority of parents and who they are in relation to them.

Using your logic, we can conclude all sorts of things and it'd make raising a child impossible if they were such stupid and impressionable creatures.
I disagree with it, parents should be able to discipline their children using reasonable physical force such as slapping. It's a time-tested traditional way of enforcing control over the child.
Original post by VirgoStrain
We're talking about kids here. What of the claim they make is false? Do you really want some poor mother fined or arrested just because she slapped a child that was behaving poorly? Living in constant fear of being reported to the police by your kids.

Whatever I'm not discussing opinion. I'm discussing your lack of awareness about how law in general works. No one will obviously be filmed in their homes it's simply about being reported omg. If something is legal you can't report it??? This is about the general concept of law that I have to explain and its unfortunate that I didn't catch your post on page 1 sooner.
Anyway I don't agree with child abuse. Why is this an argument. How can you look yourself in the mirror after hurting a child? Do you not know how to raise your voice or explain and be stern?? Or ignore a bratty child? You continue disgusting ancient "culture" arbitrarily when it clearly doesn't even work?? Humanity has issues.
This generation is getting softer and more spoilt. TBH most people are confusing disciplining with actual child abuse. There's a difference between the two.
Original post by King Leonidas
Snowflake generation never fails to disappoint.
Original post by Salt Queen
Anyway I don't agree with child abuse. Why is this an argument. How can you look yourself in the mirror after hurting a child? Do you not know how to raise your voice or explain and be stern?? Or ignore a bratty child? You continue disgusting ancient "culture" arbitrarily when it clearly doesn't even work?? Humanity has issues.

How do you know it "clearly doesn't work" in my opinion it does work in some cases but you can't just say it clearly doesn't work without doing the proper research. It worked for me. You're confusing actual child abuse with disciplining when a child actually does something wrong. Ignoring a bratty child (I'm talking about if you're the parent and your child is the bratty one - if they're not your child and you don't know them then I don't agree with it) wouldn't be such a good thing, i surely wouldn't want my child to be bratty and spoilt.
Original post by AngelStarfire
How do you know it "clearly doesn't work" in my opinion it does work in some cases but you can't just say it clearly doesn't work without doing the proper research. It worked for me. You're confusing actual child abuse with disciplining when a child actually does something wrong. Ignoring a bratty child (I'm talking about if you're the parent and your child is the bratty one - if they're not your child and you don't know them then I don't agree with it) wouldn't be such a good thing, i surely wouldn't want my child to be bratty and spoilt.

And I surely wouldn't want my child to be bruised, scared, hurt and sad and still unclear on what they did wrong because they got spanked instead of talked to by a decent person. And it doesn't work. Who here including you has been smacked once and fixed up as a perfect child and never got smacked again???? It doesn't work and people need to stop damaging their kids teaching them violence when they get a little annoyed. :rolleyes:
Original post by Guru Jason
That's like saying boxing and martial arts are abusive. It isn't if you have a valid reason.

Hmmm, bit different. Still abuse in my eyes.

No, it teaches them to fear doing the outcome of doing something wrong. Any parent even close to be worth their salt will make the child understand WHY what they did was wrong.

Original post by Trapz99
I disagree with it, parents should be able to discipline their children using reasonable physical force such as slapping. It's a time-tested traditional way of enforcing control over the child.

I'm fairly sure whacking kids in classrooms with rulers was one considered time-tested. Wanna bring that back?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending