Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There are many ways to discipline a child. If you feel the need to resort to hitting a child then maybe you should evaluate your parenting skills

ReputationRep:
    I frankly don't think I know enough about how to raise a child to tell every one of the hundreds of thousands of parents out there who smack their children that they're wrong. I don't think the Scottish Government does either.

I probably wouldn't smack any prospective children of my own - certainly not routinely anyway - but that's nothing more than my own perspective.

(Original post by VirgoStrain)
    How’s this gonna be enforced? Video cameras in every room in the entire country?
    Ah, this old chestnut. You may ask how, for example, we enforce the criminalisation of marital rape (which has only been considered a crime for less than 30 years). You might as well point to research on the extremely low level of convictions for rape, or consider that the overwhelming majority of common assaults never make it to a courtroom - is your answer to that to decriminalise those offences?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    It's baffling that some of you think a little disciplining can be detrimental.

i'm not going to explain my viewpoint, if you don't understand then you never will.

I just want to finish off by saying that disciplining your child does not make you a bad parent.
    I've noticed that the same justifications offered by those who were victims of physical punishment as children are often indistinguishable from the justifications sometimes offered by women in abusive relationships. "I deserved it", "I was being difficult", "I would've hit me too"... I still don't fully see the distinction. Both are examples of physically harming another person for doing something that you personally believe they shouldn't be doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    lick my balls, little snowflake
    What's it like still being a virgin?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    being able to give your boss a slap does seem appealing :rofl:

Translation: "We need to beat the gay out of our children"
    Not beat them,but discipline them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I frankly don't think I know enough about how to raise a child to tell every one of the hundreds of thousands of parents out there who smack their children that they're wrong. I don't think the Scottish Government does either.
    No I'm sure the Scottish Government just decided to implement this on a whim without any prior research :rolleyes:

Not to mention Scotland are far from the first country to implement this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41678797

Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland, the Scottish government has confirmed. The move would make the country the first part of the UK to outlaw the physical punishment of children.

Ministers had previously said they did not support parents using physical chastisement, but had "no plans" to bring forward legislation of their own. But the government has now confirmed it will ensure a bill lodged by Green MSP John Finnie will become law. And it is understood that ministers will work with Mr Finnie to implement the bill in practice.

His proposals, which were out for consultation over the summer, would give children the same legal protection as adults. At present, parents in Scotland can claim a defence of "justifiable assault" when punishing their child - although the use of an "implement" in any punishment is banned, as is shaking or striking a child on the head.

I've never agreed with smacking your child so this is great news and I hope the rest of the UK follows.

This is REALLY good news and has made me feel really positive today...

With everything that's going on in the world, this has made me proud to be British

Edit: Not British. I am English. England sucks. Scotland rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    No I'm sure the Scottish Government just decided to implement this on a whim without any prior research :rolleyes:

Not to mention Scotland are far from the first country to implement this.

No single person does, that's why we have science and research.

And science and research shows that it is very harmful and detrimental to whack your kids.

ReputationRep:
    if spanking was wrong why would we have ....

:spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:
    :spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:

?

:holmes:
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I always thought smacking was crazy. You're not allowed to hit someone, unless they're your child.

ReputationRep:
    As a child I never remembered the reason I got slapped, I obviously did do something silly but being smacked didn't make me realise what I had done was wrong - just made me think my parents are horrible. Even my parents admit smacking was a pretty bad way of 'parenting' and we never seemed to learn?

If you want to tell your child off do it in a way where they can understand what theydid was wrong yet they don't need to go through physical/emotional pain.

I think the rUK should follow suit with this law. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if spanking was wrong why would we have ....

:spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:

?

:holmes:

Quite, smoke weed everyday.

:bong::bong::leaf::bong::bong::leaf:

:bong::bong::leaf::bong::bong::leaf:

ReputationRep:
    I get that the majority of people think smacking your child is abusive and that is fine. I'm respective of the opinions in this thread even if they are different to mine. Like I have explained about twice though, I'm all for smacking if it's for discipline. If you disagree with that, I'm fine with it. I'm not about to argue with people about an issue that's subjective anyway...

I agree with smacking as a disciplinary method. Smacking for no reason is where I disagree. That's abuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoo)
    Using your logic, we can conclude all sorts of things and it'd make raising a child impossible if they were such stupid and impressionable creatures.
    It's not 'my logic' though. As mentioned above, it's based on the evidence of a number of independent experiments. No-one is suggesting that children are 'stupid' or 'animals'; just that young people have a relatively high degree of neuroplasticity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    It's not 'my logic' though. As mentioned above, it's based on the evidence of a number of independent experiments. No-one is suggesting that children are 'stupid' or 'animals'; just that young people have a relatively high degree of neuroplasticity.
    Ive already refuted the "experiment" point you made.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Good. If you have to result to smacking your kids, you're a **** parent.

Truth hurts.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I have an opinion, but I was mildly disciplined when I was younger and am grateful now that it happened. Made me think twice. Luckily my parents had control. I nearly put my hand on a cooker hob and my mum pulled me away. She slapped my hand which made me never want to touch a hot stove again. Would rather have the slapped hand than a melted one to be honest. I have seen some children that are out of control. They only respond when you are strict. So what is a parent to do. If I had kids and went to Scotland would I go to prison for disciplining my kids. Either I wont have kids or I wont go to Scotland. Problem is that some parents can't control how hard they hit when they get frustrated - end up knocking the kids out by mistake - oh gosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian)
    I get that the majority of people think smacking your child is abusive and that is fine. I'm respective of the opinions in this thread even if they are different to mine. Like I have explained about twice though, I'm all for smacking if it's for discipline. If you disagree with that, I'm fine with it. I'm not about to argue with people about an issue that's subjective anyway...

I agree with smacking as a disciplinary method. Smacking for no reason is where I disagree. That's abuse.
    How about smacking as a disciplinary method for adults under your care with learning disabilities or dementia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-41678797

Smacking children is to be banned in Scotland, the Scottish government has confirmed. The move would make the country the first part of the UK to outlaw the physical punishment of children.

Ministers had previously said they did not support parents using physical chastisement, but had "no plans" to bring forward legislation of their own. But the government has now confirmed it will ensure a bill lodged by Green MSP John Finnie will become law. And it is understood that ministers will work with Mr Finnie to implement the bill in practice.

His proposals, which were out for consultation over the summer, would give children the same legal protection as adults. At present, parents in Scotland can claim a defence of "justifiable assault" when punishing their child - although the use of an "implement" in any punishment is banned, as is shaking or striking a child on the head.

I've never agreed with smacking your child so this is great news and I hope the rest of the UK follows.
    #WEWANTTHIS For Britain we need this, too many mentally and physically abused kids
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Fooking hell. A spoiled brat deserves a slap once in a while. It teaches him to behave

Spoiler:
    Show

I am sort of joking, but also sort of being serious

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.