Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VinnicombeDmv)
    So not wanting children to get hit by their parents is us being spoilt? Smacking a child is abuse, I really could not give a damn how justified you feel or how much discipline you think it's imposing. Learn to discipline without raising your grown adult hands to a child.
    When did I ever say "not wanting children to get hit by their parents is us being spoilt?" I just simply said this generation is getting softer and spoilt(sorry for not being clear enough but I meant kids are getting more spoilt) .
    This is what abuse means:
    treat with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.
    The key word there *regularly or repeatedly*

Smacking your child when they do something wrong and telling them why they are being punished is not abuse. Simple.
    If you really don't give a damn why respond to me anyway? Also I will learn to raise my child in a way that works for them and me so you're just going to have to deal with it (-_-)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoo)
    Ive already refuted the "experiment" point you made.
    No, you really haven't. You might want to look up the definition of 'refute'. All you appear to have done is to make a blanket statement based on nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arizonaidiot)
    Not beat them,but discipline them.
    So we should discipline the gay out of our children? :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    if spanking was wrong why would we have ....

:spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:
    :spank::spank::spank::spank::spank::spank:

?

:holmes:
    That's a sex thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    So we should discipline the gay out of our children? :erm:
    Maybe

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    No, you really haven't. You might want to look up the definition of 'refute'. All you appear to have done is to make a blanket statement based on nothing.
    I have. Read.

ReputationRep:
    Enforcement just isn't gonna happen tho is it?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think smacking works and isn't a good idea, but I don't think the Government has the right to tell people how to parent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    I don't think smacking works and isn't a good idea, but I don't think the Government has the right to tell people how to parent.
    "I don't think children have the right not to be hit"

ReputationRep:
    "I don't think children have the right not to be hit"
    I see your point, and I personally oppose smacking, but I think the Government should leave the people alone as much as possible.

Of course, if it gets to anything more than a light smack (deliberately trying to cause harm), those parents better be locked up. Trouble is that it'd be difficult to prosecute (could you trust a small child's evidence?) and you wouldn't know where to draw the line.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMindGarage)
    I see your point, and I personally oppose smacking, but I think the Government should leave the people alone as much as possible.

Of course, if it gets to anything more than a light smack (deliberately trying to cause harm), those parents better be locked up. Trouble is that it'd be difficult to prosecute (could you trust a small child's evidence?) and you wouldn't know where to draw the line.
    But as lib has already pointed out there are similar crimes that are hard to enforce, such as sexual assault. I doesn't mean that you decriminalise it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsfantanoo)
    I have. Read.
    Haha, stamping your feet doesn't make it any more true. Neither does being supercilious and disproportionately defensive in response to a straightforward question.

ReputationRep:
    But as lib has already pointed out there are similar crimes that are hard to enforce, such as sexual assault. I doesn't mean that you decriminalise it.
    Of course not. I just think the Government spends too much time in general getting into people's personal lives rather than dealing with the stuff that individuals can't deal with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngelStarfire)
    treat with cruelty or violence, especially regularly or repeatedly.
    The key word there *regularly or repeatedly*
    See, I would have thought a sensible person would realise that the key words are cruelty & violence. If the key word is regularly, is it now ok for me to leave a handprint on my son and make them cry, as long as I only do it say, once a year?

Here's a tip: The answer is of course not.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth do perfectly intelligent people who would absolutely hate to be hit themselves (and would react violently in many cases if they were) nonetheless think that it's OK for very large people to physically hurt very small, defenceless people?

We are no longer living in medieval times and do not need to use violence to create a false order in a family. There are better ways.

ReputationRep:
    See, I would have thought a sensible person would realise that the key words are cruelty & violence. If the key word is regularly, is it now ok for me to leave a handprint on my son and make them cry, as long as I only do it say, once a year?

Here's a tip: The answer is of course not.
    Why do you think when parents discipline their child there ALWAYS has to be a mark? It's possible not to hit that hard that'll there'll actually be a mark left behind. You may call it cruelty but in my eyes it's doing the child a favour for the future. Just making this clear this can or can not work with all children, it just depends.
    Btw Violence means:
    behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    The intention is not to do any of these things just to deter their child from doing the wrong things. I do admit there can be other ways to go about things but it works with some children. Plus no it's not okay to leave a handprint on your son(that's different from the discipline I'm talking about). You make them cry then oh well, it's possible for a child to cry when parents don't do what they want to do. Also what do you mean by "once a year" I'm saying that when a child does something really wrong(If it's something little I wouldn't advise it too much) then it's okay to punish them because letting it off (or even grounding) in my opinion will let the child think it's okay to do bad stuff since they can't take their parents seriously and show respect. That's all I gotta say for now.

ReputationRep:
    I think Scotland's morals are in the right place.

As someone who had parents who were extremely pro-physical punishment for the most minor issues, I don't agree with it. I can see the effects it's had on me as an adult now, and my brother too. Those effects are very, very long standing. I've been made to limp to school before, and more often than not I've been pushed (as a child) to having the honestly held belief that I wanted to kill my father.

I will say that I've developed a much, much harder personality now as a result however and dominance in terms of presence in the family has shifted from my father to me. Not because I'm some kind of physically violent guy, as I'm not in any way at all (because I have an overwhelming desire to never be my dad), but simply because I've grown to learn to not take s*** quietly or submissively.

I suppose as a psychology graduate (and student), from my academic side, I've also learnt of the detrimental effects of poor attachment with parents. It's no secret that physical abuse isn't conducive to a healthy parent-child relationship.
    Thankfully for the parent, the majority of their neural development has been and gone. For that child though, that experience, or experiences, can have a long-standing domino effect which can fall to a multitude of ways, including antisocial behaviour. But despite the research and experience out there, I would presume no parent is going to bite their pride and say "Yep. I was a big factor in contributing to this", which only puts more pressure on the kid who could then seek groups/peers who accept their behaviour and end up fuelling the fire.

Naturally, my view is biased against it. That doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to realise that. There's my two cents.

ReputationRep:
    Btw Violence means:
    behaviour involving physical force intended to hurt, damage, or kill someone or something.
    The intention is not to do any of these things just to deter their child from doing the wrong things
    "Son, I'm going to smack you. I don't intend to hurt you, but I'm going to do something that I know will hurt you and by definition is me being violent."

because letting it off (or even grounding) in my opinion will let the child think it's okay to do bad stuff since they can't take their parents seriously and show respect. That's all I gotta say for now.
    So taking away their toys or freedom makes them think they got away with it? I'm not against punishing, I fully acknowledge that kids need to be punished often just because of the way children behave, but that punishment doesn;t need to be an open fist.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you think when parents discipline their child there ALWAYS has to be a mark? It's possible not to hit that hard that'll there'll actually be a mark left behind. You may call it cruelty but in my eyes it's doing the child a favour for the future. Just making this clear this can or can not work with all children, it just depends.
    Btw Violence means:
    The intention is not to do any of these things just to deter their child from doing the wrong things. I do admit there can be other ways to go about things but it works with some children. Plus no it's not okay to leave a handprint on your son(that's different from the discipline I'm talking about). You make them cry then oh well, it's possible for a child to cry when parents don't do what they want to do. Also what do you mean by "once a year" I'm saying that when a child does something really wrong(If it's something little I wouldn't advise it too much) then it's okay to punish them because letting it off (or even grounding) in my opinion will let the child think it's okay to do bad stuff since they can't take their parents seriously and show respect. That's all I gotta say for now.
    What about children who may have a valid, justifiable view that is more rational than the parents? What can the kid do to get some respect from the parent at that point? Smack the parent and hope they accept their view just like the parents do?

I do see you Googled the definition of 'Violence'. I'll agree with it,
    Here's the definition of 'Bullying' "use superior strength or influence to intimidate (someone), typically to force them to do something."

That's all I gotta say, for now.

ReputationRep:
    So taking away their toys or freedom makes them think they got away with it? I'm not against punishing, I fully acknowledge that kids need to be punished often just because of the way children behave, but that punishment doesn;t need to be an open fist.
    Nah I'm thinking about when they're around 11yrs and they don't take their parents' punishments seriously. And I agree not an open fist. Just maybe a smack on the cheek or the bum.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.