Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So a little bit of background: I was initially offered a place to do medicine at imperial in 2014 (back when it was a 4 year course, UKCATs were used instead of BMAT and 2:2s were the minimum grade needed if you had a masters) which I had to turn down due to me having to defer my pharmacy pre-reg (due to way too many extenuating circumstances during my final year at uni). Unfortunately I later found out that it would become a 5 year course in 2015 and decided to decline the offer due to it becoming too friggin expensive for me to do.

Fast forward to 2017, I have applied for the 5 year course and whilst I meet all criteria minus BMAT (which I have yet to sit), I am having second thoughts due to the expensive nature of the course. Whilst I would receive maintenance loans, I would have to spend all of it on tuition fees for the first 4 years and have minimal support from family and friends. Additionally, if I were to commute from home, it would take 3-4 hours a day via trains.

Id personally love to study at imperial and hope that my previous history is taken into account (ie being offered a place previously), I am really having doubts about it and am curious if other unis I have applied to would have innovation centres like imperial for further exploring STEM innovation and research / have the opprtunity to apply finidings in practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranchovirus)
    So a little bit of background: I was initially offered a place to do medicine at imperial in 2014 (back when it was a 4 year course, UKCATs were used instead of BMAT and 2:2s were the minimum grade needed if you had a masters) which I had to turn down due to me having to defer my pharmacy pre-reg (due to way too many extenuating circumstances during my final year at uni). Unfortunately I later found out that it would become a 5 year course in 2015 and decided to decline the offer due to it becoming too friggin expensive for me to do.

Fast forward to 2017, I have applied for the 5 year course and whilst I meet all criteria minus BMAT (which I have yet to sit), I am having second thoughts due to the expensive nature of the course. Whilst I would receive maintenance loans, I would have to spend all of it on tuition fees for the first 4 years and have minimal support from family and friends. Additionally, if I were to commute from home, it would take 3-4 hours a day via trains.

Id personally love to study at imperial and hope that my previous history is taken into account (ie being offered a place previously), I am really having doubts about it and am curious if other unis I have applied to would have innovation centres like imperial for further exploring STEM innovation and research / have the opprtunity to apply finidings in practice
    imperial are greedy sods for what they did. IMO they should make it so that u can receive funding from years 3-5, yet am surprised no-one is campaigning this.

regards to your other choices, I have no idea which they are so cant comment

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, if you can't afford the fees, can't afford the travel/living expenses, and trying would be detrimental to your wellbeing, it isn't the place for you. It will be more heartbreaking to get booted out mid-course because you can't afford it, than it would be to study somewhere else.

ReputationRep:
    A 4 hour daily commute will destroy your soul, not to mention your bank balance (you do know how expensive that would be right?).
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    A 4 hour daily commute will destroy your soul, not to mention your bank balance (you do know how expensive that would be right?).
    Yeah. One bus ride is expensive, imagine 4 hours of daily travel of going to university and coming back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.