Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So a little bit of background: I was initially offered a place to do medicine at imperial in 2014 (back when it was a 4 year course, UKCATs were used instead of BMAT and 2:2s were the minimum grade needed if you had a masters) which I had to turn down due to me having to defer my pharmacy pre-reg (due to way too many extenuating circumstances during my final year at uni). Unfortunately I later found out that it would become a 5 year course in 2015 and decided to decline the offer due to it becoming too friggin expensive for me to do.

Fast forward to 2017, I have applied for the 5 year course and whilst I meet all criteria minus BMAT (which I have yet to sit), I am having second thoughts due to the expensive nature of the course. Whilst I would receive maintenance loans, I would have to spend all of it on tuition fees for the first 4 years and have minimal support from family and friends. Additionally, if I were to commute from home, it would take 3-4 hours a day via trains.

Id personally love to study at imperial and hope that my previous history is taken into account (ie being offered a place previously), I am really having doubts about it and am curious if other unis I have applied to would have innovation centres like imperial for further exploring STEM innovation and research / have the opprtunity to apply finidings in practice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ranchovirus)
    So a little bit of background: I was initially offered a place to do medicine at imperial in 2014 (back when it was a 4 year course, UKCATs were used instead of BMAT and 2:2s were the minimum grade needed if you had a masters) which I had to turn down due to me having to defer my pharmacy pre-reg (due to way too many extenuating circumstances during my final year at uni). Unfortunately I later found out that it would become a 5 year course in 2015 and decided to decline the offer due to it becoming too friggin expensive for me to do.

Fast forward to 2017, I have applied for the 5 year course and whilst I meet all criteria minus BMAT (which I have yet to sit), I am having second thoughts due to the expensive nature of the course. Whilst I would receive maintenance loans, I would have to spend all of it on tuition fees for the first 4 years and have minimal support from family and friends. Additionally, if I were to commute from home, it would take 3-4 hours a day via trains.

Id personally love to study at imperial and hope that my previous history is taken into account (ie being offered a place previously), I am really having doubts about it and am curious if other unis I have applied to would have innovation centres like imperial for further exploring STEM innovation and research / have the opprtunity to apply finidings in practice
    imperial are greedy sods for what they did. IMO they should make it so that u can receive funding from years 3-5, yet am surprised no-one is campaigning this.

regards to your other choices, I have no idea which they are so cant comment

ReputationRep:
    At the end of the day, if you can't afford the fees, can't afford the travel/living expenses, and trying would be detrimental to your wellbeing, it isn't the place for you. It will be more heartbreaking to get booted out mid-course because you can't afford it, than it would be to study somewhere else.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    A 4 hour daily commute will destroy your soul, not to mention your bank balance (you do know how expensive that would be right?).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    A 4 hour daily commute will destroy your soul, not to mention your bank balance (you do know how expensive that would be right?).
    Yeah. One bus ride is expensive, imagine 4 hours of daily travel of going to university and coming back.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 20, 2017

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.