The Student Room Group
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Desperate Mature Student

Hiya,
I wonder if anyone knows the situation with finance for mature students. I'm in my second year and 53 years old, with a dependant 15 year old girl, and an 18 year old boy who has a disability.
I receive a student loan and a quarterly maintainable grant of 539.00.
I have been told that aside from child tax of 60.00 per week, that's it!!. Does anyone know if that's correct please.?
My ex husband died suddenly in January this year, he was a massive support, and an amazing dad, and I dont want to seem like a whinger, but myself and my children are struggling terribly.
I tend to amass arrears in everything, then catch up every quarter when fine comes in, which is very stressful at times.
I realise at 53 many are established with bought houses etc, things didn't work that way for me, and I remain grateful for all I have, it's just that I cannot cut down anymore.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tilly
Original post by Jsp123
Hiya,
I wonder if anyone knows the situation with finance for mature students. I'm in my second year and 53 years old, with a dependant 15 year old girl, and an 18 year old boy who has a disability.
I receive a student loan and a quarterly maintainable grant of 539.00.
I have been told that aside from child tax of 60.00 per week, that's it!!. Does anyone know if that's correct please.?
My ex husband died suddenly in January this year, he was a massive support, and an amazing dad, and I dont want to seem like a whinger, but myself and my children are struggling terribly.
I tend to amass arrears in everything, then catch up every quarter when fine comes in, which is very stressful at times.
I realise at 53 many are established with bought houses etc, things didn't work that way for me, and I remain grateful for all I have, it's just that I cannot cut down anymore.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Tilly

Hi

The way to get this sorted out is a full benefits assessment to check if you are getting everything you are entitled to.

1. Check with you student union welfare advisers whether they can do one for you.
2. If not, then book an appointment with CAB to see a benefits expert and tell them its a full benefits check for a mature student with dependents.

3. Once you know what you are entitled to and have done a full budget of incomings and outgoings, then contact the Uni hardship fund and see f they have any bursaries.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/about-us/how-we-provide-advice/advice/search-for-your-local-citizens-advice/

Its better in person tbh. Take all your financial info as well.
On campus
University of Wolverhampton
Wolverhampton
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest