Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do Chinese students have different language requirements? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My English is by no means perfect, but I can effectively communicate with everyone here. I have several Chinese flatmates and I can barely have a conversation with them. They don't seem to understand/speak English and they only speak Chinese amongst themselves. They are at postgraduate level so I'm curious, do they not have to demonstrate a certain level of spoken English to be admitted to Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I believe is no difference regarding the English language requirements for international students, regardless of nationality.
    I once read a reply under the topic of whether studying abroad is worthwhile, and the author kind of took the unfavourable attitude and gave the example of Chinese students on campus overseas.
    I am Chinese and currently doing my Masters in the UK. Since I am not quite sure about where you are studying, I will tell you what I see in the UK.
    There are a huge number of Chinese students in the UK, most of them postgraduates. The thing is, when you have people from your own country, share the same hobbies, know about the latest TV shows in China very well, and you feel comfortable with them, it is very unlikely that you will step out of your comfort zone and seek friendship outside this circle. Say, if you were from a country and only a few students were from there in the UK, this more or less adds your chance to be extrovert and try to make friends with locals or other backgrounds. This increases your chance to be exposed in an English-speaking environment and your speaking and listening skills will be greatly benefited.
    Also, when you feel that Chinese students don’t speak English fluently - you are partly right. There are students who don’t speak English very well. However, most of them, including me, are not feeling confident when speaking English (you may have spotted, I feel more relaxed when I write in English). Since there is a certain amount of culture difference, I sometimes feel that I still cannot express many things freely.
    Besides, it seems to me that UK and students from the EU tend to get along very well and it is very hard for Chinese students to make the breakthrough. So most Chinese students end up staying in our own cocoon and don’t have many opportunities to speak or talk to an English speaker. What we do is just passively listening most of the time.
    It may be the case that both Chinese students and UK/EU students are shy so they all stick to their own squads. But deal with a pinch of salt when hear the argument that Chinese people like to be within their own group. Is this really the case? I am not quite sure - but it is a way of avoiding isolation (meaning no friends from your own background nor foreign friends), I would say.
    I hope this answer helps but unfortunately I digressed quite a bit. To put what I have written in one sentence: CHINESE STUDENTS LACK REAL LIFE CONVERSATIONS IN ENGLISH WITH PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT CHINESE.

By the way, this is my very first post here. Nice to meet you
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.