The Student Room Group

I have missed quite a lot of the last 7 weeks and I'm feeling really overwhelmed?

Basically, I have just started the sixth form at a new school and I have missed a lot of it due to illness. About two weeks after I started year 12 I began to faint. We went to the doctors as it started happening regularly (at least once a day) and they ran some tests on my heart. The tests came back with an irregularity in my hearts electrical impulses and I was referred to a cardiologist. At this point, the school had told me not to come in as I was a danger to myself if I fainted on the stairs or banged my head. The teachers started to email me my work for my three subjects (English Literature, English Language, and Psychology) but unfortunately, I cannot learn this way. I was admitted to hospital for a week as the cardiologist discovered that I have a heart condition and needed to do some procedures and keep me in for observation. Last week I was allowed to go back to school as I have an operation scheduled for the 30th to hopefully correct the condition but I have still been fainting and they have said that they don't think the fainting has any connection to the heart condition. A number of times I have been sent home and the time I have had off school has really left me behind in terms of work and now it is really starting to stress me out and I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions? I have asked my teachers for catch up sessions and one of them has followed through but another has just acted as if she is exasperated with me and I don't know what to do about it.
Original post by Hannah_H2001
Basically, I have just started the sixth form at a new school and I have missed a lot of it due to illness. About two weeks after I started year 12 I began to faint. We went to the doctors as it started happening regularly (at least once a day) and they ran some tests on my heart. The tests came back with an irregularity in my hearts electrical impulses and I was referred to a cardiologist. At this point, the school had told me not to come in as I was a danger to myself if I fainted on the stairs or banged my head. The teachers started to email me my work for my three subjects (English Literature, English Language, and Psychology) but unfortunately, I cannot learn this way. I was admitted to hospital for a week as the cardiologist discovered that I have a heart condition and needed to do some procedures and keep me in for observation. Last week I was allowed to go back to school as I have an operation scheduled for the 30th to hopefully correct the condition but I have still been fainting and they have said that they don't think the fainting has any connection to the heart condition. A number of times I have been sent home and the time I have had off school has really left me behind in terms of work and now it is really starting to stress me out and I don't know what to do about it. Any suggestions? I have asked my teachers for catch up sessions and one of them has followed through but another has just acted as if she is exasperated with me and I don't know what to do about it.

seven weeks is possible to catch up, but you are going to have to work hard.

Your health comes first, so you really need to get this sorted and a decision needs to be made as to whether school is practical at the moment? At some stage you will have missed too much. It depends how bright you are and how hard you are prepared to work.

Talk with your parents and the school about a plan to minmise the impact.

My approach would be to forget the seven weeks and focus on the current lessons so you dont fall further behind.

Get some revision books. You can teach most of it to yourself anyway. You cna only catch up when you are healthy enough to work hard, then its just a case of doing a few hours extra a day until you have caught up.

English cant be that hard as they will just be doing the set texts and its just a case of getting familiar. Some good revision books and documentaries can help with that. Just be consistent and do your extra 2hrs a day and you will soon catch up. Its lucky that its the easiest time to experience this as you are furthest from exams. I think you should be aiming to have caught up in 10-14 weeks. At the beginning of a course they tend to be a bit slow.

Hang in there. Its definitely possible if you are determined and focused.

Quick Reply

Latest