Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reasons for failing competency’s based interviews Watch

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here failed a competency based interview for things like posture, lack of eye contact, confidence, looking down too much etc?

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it's happened at some point. Typically you would fail if you haven't got suitable examples demonstrating that you have the competencies they're looking for.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student-95)
    I imagine it's happened at some point. Typically you would fail if you haven't got suitable examples demonstrating that you have the competencies they're looking for.
    If you have 2-3 years experience in industry, is it a bad idea using an example from extra curricular or voluntary work during university, even if it’s only one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ybsy75)
    If you have 2-3 years experience in industry, is it a bad idea using an example from extra curricular or voluntary work during university, even if it’s only one?
    As long as it's relevant then I don't see a problem with it,

ReputationRep:
    As long as it's relevant then I don't see a problem with it,
    Are competency based interviews all scored and are hiring decisions all based on score alone? I.e. does it not matter whether they like you or not?

ReputationRep:
    Are competency based interviews all scored and are hiring decisions all based on score alone? I.e. does it not matter whether they like you or not?
    If it's scored then presumably your likeability will be a part of the score you get.

ReputationRep:
    If it's scored then presumably your likeability will be a part of the score you get.
    So not all companies score them? Because competency interviews I find are a lot harder to predict. You can walk out feeling confident, as they seemed to like you and acted like they would hire you, but your score wasn’t high enough.

ReputationRep:
    So not all companies score them? Because competency interviews I find are a lot harder to predict. You can walk out feeling confident, as they seemed to like you and acted like they would hire you, but your score wasn’t high enough.
    They'll have a way of judging it but they might not explicitly score them, especially if it's the same person doing all the interviews.

I find competency interviews are the most consistent because you know, more or less, what will be asked and can go in with examples prepared.

Bear in mind that it's not about being good, it's about being better than the other candidates. Maybe you did well but a bunch of other people did really well.

ReputationRep:
    They'll have a way of judging it but they might not explicitly score them, especially if it's the same person doing all the interviews.

I find competency interviews are the most consistent because you know, more or less, what will be asked and can go in with examples prepared.

Bear in mind that it's not about being good, it's about being better than the other candidates. Maybe you did well but a bunch of other people did really well.
    I think competency examples in public sector organisations tend to be more rigidly scored and it’s harder to base hiring decisions on anything else. Although I’m sure if the interviewee didn’t come across well, the interviewers would sub consciously score them lower.

Also what if it’s a volume recruitment campaign?

ReputationRep:
    How should one chase up if they haven’t heard back within the timeframe given at an interview?

ReputationRep:
    How should one chase up if they haven’t heard back within the timeframe given at an interview?
    Call if you have their number. Email if not.

ReputationRep:
    Should you call a hiring manager though? Also I emailed late Friday afternoon so don’t want to come across as persistent. Should I leave it until Wednesday to call so it gives the manager a couple of days to respond to the email?

ReputationRep:
    Should you call a hiring manager though? Also I emailed late Friday afternoon so don’t want to come across as persistent. Should I leave it until Wednesday to call so it gives the manager a couple of days to respond to the email?
    If you have a good reason to talk to them then yes. If you've already emailed then give them a chance to reply before calling.

ReputationRep:
    So Wednesday would be ok?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.