Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kenedy6)
    I think Muslim communities should be investigated more thoroughly. There is clearly something wrong with this religion.
    you gonna get so much hate

ReputationRep:
    I treat everyone individually, however, I do not like the covering of the face and get called racist for this. I don't get what this show was trying to prove to be honest. There is bad feeling between many people and it largely gets ignored, but anything negative towards a muslim person and all hell breaks loose. And what's all this "hate crime" bs, like it's a worse crime to stereotype someone yet If I get abuse whilst on my bike (and it happens quite a lot) it'a OK. it's like a crime heirarchy rather than each individual case being treated on merit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecube)
    I treat everyone individually, however, I do not like the covering of the face and get called racist for this. I don't get what this show was trying to prove to be honest. There is bad feeling between many people and it largely gets ignored, but anything negative towards a muslim person and all hell breaks loose. And what's all this "hate crime" bs, like it's a worse crime to stereotype someone yet If I get abuse whilst on my bike (and it happens quite a lot) it'a OK. it's like a crime heirarchy rather than each individual case being treated on merit.
    The topic is the race divide, to 'expose it'. 4News have it high on their agenda too, the denounciation of so much that divides racially categorized groups.

The more they tell us about it... the more we know there is a race divide. The more we do about it... the worse it gets.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would have been better if it had been a white person just with a headscarf as worn by some Muslim women. The make-up to look as if of Pakistani or other Asian heritage was wrong in my view.

ReputationRep:
    look guys
    there is no benefit in arguing. fam like just get on with ur life all u can do us dua.
    MAY ALLAH TABARK WATALLAH GIVE ALL OF US HIDAYAAt
    please dont reply to this as i cba
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Are you saying that Moslems are more incendiary than the rest of the population? You aren't implying, are you, that a minority of them would even kill people for offending them? That cannot be true.
    Of course not. To even suggest such a thing would be Islamophobic.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a colleague, who is a White male, once remarking to me, that although, I, as a Black male, obviously experienced racism that he would never experience-he, the White male, HEARD AND SAW it in places and ways that I never would. I was intrigued by his comment, and he went on to explain that BECAUSE he was a White male, when he was in social settings with judges, powerful people in business, government and commerce, the comments that were made around him would be so over the top-things that normally would never be said in a "mixed" setting or context, but because he was also White, the people purveying those kinds of comments presumed it would be okay to say and that he'd agree.

And of course there is the famous story giving rise to the book "Black Like Me."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Like_Me
    So, for sometime, there have been scholars, researchers and activists, in attempts to actually be helpful and shine a light on discrimination in a way that a person who is not a member of the race or group in question could perhaps understand-to dress or appear as a member of the race or group. Such efforts, I do not believe, are racist or intended to belittle people and are not meant to evoke a comparison between minstrels, and black/brown face skits that are racist and degrading. So, I can understand people, on a sensitive topic such as this, not liking what she did, or perhaps not liking how it was handled/presented in the documentary, but I do hope some good can come from it, as has come from similar efforts in the past.

(Original post by QE2)
    Is the outrage justified?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...rks-racism-row

TL;DR
    Channel 4 disguised a white British woman as a South Asian Muslim who lived with a Muslim family for a week in order to experience "Islamophobia" first hand.

A range of Muslim groups and individuals have branded the programme "racist", "deeply offensive", "absolutely shocking", and "reinforcing prejudice".

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.