Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are those who attend imperial far more academically superior than those at oxbridge Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    That's why I said ignoring Medicine.

At Imperial about 80% of Physics interviewees get an Offer. At Oxford it's about 30% of interviewees.

For Mech Engineering Imperial's interviewee offer rate is >90%. At Oxford it's, again, about 30%.

Not sure what you are saying about Oxford entrance exams. PAT *is* an Oxford entrance exam.

The interview stage is clearly important for Oxbridge, whereas it isn't for Imperial.
    But not including Imperial, nearly every other university also. The post interview offer rate for medicine can be past 50% or around it. Tends to happen for UKCAT heavy ones. Imperial's isn't far off being 50% for medicine. I believe 50-75% fail to meet the BMAT cutoff to get interviewed in the first place.

I'm aware the PAT is, I meant it relative to Oxford's other entrance exams like TSA or HAT. Particularly TSA, as its general aptitude.

Agreed, but surely offer chance plays into how rigourous an admissions process is? At least as much as post offer interview rate? More factors go in to getting an offer too, including interview, which, depending on the scaling of said factors adds to "rigour". Their offer rates are similar.

(Scroll down to see offer rate)

Chemistry (Oxford do not offer BSc, only MChem)

Imperial (37%) v Oxford (33%)

https://university.which.co.uk/imper...s-f100-1018827

https://university.which.co.uk/unive...s-f100-1011887

Medicine

Imperial (19%) v Oxford (10%) v Camb (23%)

https://university.which.co.uk/unive...s-a100-1004735

https://university.which.co.uk/unive...s-a100-1001184

https://university.which.co.uk/imper...s-a100-1007749

Not a large sample by any means, but you
    Can check by using the website above. It's tedious posting links :/
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    I'm aware the PAT is, I meant it relative to Oxford's other entrance exams like TSA or HAT. Particularly TSA, as its general aptitude.

Agreed, but surely offer chance plays into how rigourous an admissions process is? At least as much as post offer interview rate? More factors go in to getting an offer too, including interview, which, depending on the scaling of said factors adds to "rigour". Their offer rates are similar.
    (Ignore medicine! It's an outlier for all universities.)

If you want to compare like for like, the 4 year Chemistry MSci at Imperial has a 55% offer rate.

The point is that Imperial is not really using the interview as a key tool in selection (except medicine). Unlike Oxbridge. So their applications process can't be as rigorous, or more correctly, as thorough. I honestly don't know the basis of selection that imperial *does* use when offering... I guess it's the PS & Reference (inc predictions)...

Actually I wonder if they put more emphasis on GCSEs, which aren't that important for either Cambridge or Oxford. Despite what people think about Oxbridge.

And for the avoidance of doubt, this doesn't mean that the interview is the most important factor for Oxbridge, it isn't. But it does add useful information to their holistic assesment of applicants.

ReputationRep:
    Not necessarily if you live in London, want more job connections, have a scholarship to go to Imperial, want to do engineering.

Because according to CUG, Imperial Chem Eng students have the highest UCAS tarrif for that subject. It inevitably means some rejected Oxbridge.
    Small exceptions which influence a small minority of those students’ decisions. In the overwhelmingly standard case, people choose Oxbridge over imperial.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    Small exceptions which influence a small minority of those students’ decisions. In the overwhelmingly standard case, people choose Oxbridge over imperial.
    Engineers and scholars are a pretty decent portion of Imperial.

Give them a couple hundred years. They've already caught up by a few hundred

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    (Ignore medicine! It's an outlier for all universities.)

If you want to compare like for like, the 4 year Chemistry MSci at Imperial has a 55% offer rate.

The point is that Imperial is not really using the interview as a key tool in selection (except medicine). Unlike Oxbridge. So their applications process can't be as rigorous, or more correctly, as thorough. I honestly don't know the basis of selection that imperial *does* use when offering... I guess it's the PS & Reference (inc predictions)...

Actually I wonder if they put more emphasis on GCSEs, which aren't that important for either Cambridge or Oxford. Despite what people think about Oxbridge.

And for the avoidance of doubt, this doesn't mean that the interview is the most important factor for Oxbridge, it isn't. But it does add useful information to their holistic assesment of applicants.
    Imperial's admissions are essentially:

- Be predicted AAA, if less, I think it's practically auto rejection no matter what (maybe mitigating circumstances apply). Granted, your chances aren't good if you're predictions are below the requirements.

- for more competive courses, have good GCSEs/PS or stronger predictions with a good entrance exam score.

- for most courses, GCSEs don't matter. In medicine they aren't considered at all for example.

- They tend to reject a lot of applicants who don't have a third science A Level for some subjects, and they hide it in their FAQ page smh. This is even if they have max predictions and meet subject requirements.

They were routinely giving people with eg ABB at AS Level, with AAA predictions offers of A*A*A to which they never really met, it's a bit like Warwick with maths, they just offer alot to see who makes it I guess. The average student there with best 3 A Levels has A*A*A, so it seems they keep them out, even if they miss it.

Perhaps Oxbridge weight interviews more because there's often an admissions test done with them? Literally at the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you might as well call it Plantation College

smh
    lmaooooo well aint that the gospel truth

ReputationRep:
    I know of two inspirational people who both ended up in imperial uni, one of them became a professor and is working in genetic engineering the other works at cern Hadron Collider. Imperial dishes out the very best. Try your best to get in there my friend. Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    No, cant base someones academic abilities based on which unis they go to
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:

They were routinely giving people with eg ABB at AS Level, with AAA predictions offers of A*A*A to which they never really met, it's a bit like Warwick with maths, they just offer alot to see who makes it I guess. The average student there with best 3 A Levels has A*A*A, so it seems they keep them out, even if they miss it.
    Really not true. Warwick is well known to give offers to every any anybody who applies regardless of their predicted grades, however other top universities are much different. And here's one for Physics.

ReputationRep:

- Be predicted AAA, if less, I think it's practically auto rejection no matter what (maybe mitigating circumstances apply). Granted, your chances aren't good if you're predictions are below the requirements.

- for more competive courses, have good GCSEs/PS or stronger predictions with a good entrance exam score.

- for most courses, GCSEs don't matter. In medicine they aren't considered at all for example.

- They tend to reject a lot of applicants who don't have a third science A Level for some subjects, and they hide it in their FAQ page smh. This is even if they have max predictions and meet subject requirements.

Perhaps Oxbridge weight interviews more because there's often an admissions test done with them? Literally at the interview.
    Do you have any evidence to back up what you have said? Imperial and Warwick are miles part in the selectivity of their students.

ReputationRep:
    Academically, they're probably on the same level. But I guarantee you the vast majority of Imperial attendees are Oxbridge rejects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pidge Gunderson)
    Academically, they're probably on the same level. But I guarantee you the vast majority of Imperial attendees are Oxbridge rejects.
    I will be able to give anecdotal evidence to this soon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBach12)
    Do you have any evidence to back up what you have said? Imperial and Warwick are miles part in the selectivity of their students.
    Look on the chemistry for Imperial applicants last year.

If I didn't make it clear, thats where I was basing my experience since I'm a chem applicant.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.