Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Quit uni for my parents Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi so some time ago I posted with a question that my parents didn't want me to go uni and I wanted but if i did they'd disown me well I've decided to finally quit uni and stay with my parents well because fear of loneliness got the best of me and also they've quite scared me by saying I'll be alone in the future and rot here and there but then I'll be alone with no-one by my side

ReputationRep:
    with all due respect, its your life, not theirs. listen to advice but do what you feel is best and what you want at the end of the day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knightoflogic)
    with all due respect, its your life, not theirs. listen to advice but do what you feel is best and what you want at the end of the day.
    Yes but sometimes in life you've to compromise and well I had to as well putting my dreams and aspirations part to listen to them and not lose my family even if means I won't be able to follow my dreams

Your parents are a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous7901)
    Yes but sometimes in life you've to compromise and well I had to as well putting my dreams and aspirations part to listen to them and not lose my family even if means I won't be able to follow my dreams
    what is more important, your life or pleasing your parents?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knightoflogic)
    what is more important, your life or pleasing your parents?
    Try put it this way if I do as I please and worry about my life and my future well I'm gonna have to leave my family because that's how it work In this stupid community

ReputationRep:
    If that's what you want.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This is utterly disappointing. Your future is more important right now, will you still be clung to them 25 years from now? No one is telling you to disown them but the fact that they're willing to disown you to suit their needs is downright selfish on their part. But you've made that choice, you can always turn back but it's better while you're younger.

ReputationRep:
    Why do I have a feeling that you are of Asian descent...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epitype)
    Why do I have a feeling that you are of Asian descent...
    Because this kinda **** only goes down on this community

ReputationRep:
    You're going to end up resenting them if you don't follow your dreams. And if they're threatening violence/you fear for your life then I'd get out of there ASAP. Family is not supposed to be scary, that's just ****ed up and abusive, regardless of culture.

ReputationRep:
    Try put it this way if I do as I please and worry about my life and my future well I'm gonna have to leave my family because that's how it work In this stupid community
    So leave it. You can either be miserable with your family or leave and potentially be miserable or happy doing what you want.

One guarantees your misery, the other gives you a chance.

Ah I freaking hate Asian parents only they can come up with his emotional blackmail vs like this but again if she leaves the parents and family what guarantees she will succeed in her dreams and ambitions and tat everyone else will accept her

what uni was it
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Listen to stay home you get one parents and family aight f*** uni u can be a good housewife or whatever and be happy and keep youbfam happy it's hiwnlife is for Asian girls I feel sorry but hey we all have to do it and many have done it too xx

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Listen to stay home you get one parents and family aight f*** uni u can be a good housewife or whatever and be happy and keep youbfam happy it's hiwnlife is for Asian girls I feel sorry but hey we all have to do it and many have done it too xx
    I hope this is sarcasm.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Hi so some time ago I posted with a question that my parents didn't want me to go uni and I wanted but if i did they'd disown me well I've decided to finally quit uni and stay with my parents well because fear of loneliness got the best of me and also they've quite scared me by saying I'll be alone in the future and rot here and there but then I'll be alone with no-one by my side

I don't want to tell you what decisions to make- only you can do that- but this doesn't seem like healthy reasoning.
    This may sound super pessimistic or nasty, but what are you going to do when your parents die or become ill and can't be your company? You need to live your own life. If that life doesn't include uni then that's fine, but it needs to be your life and your decision.
    You can still be close to your parents and spend time with them or even live with them, but make sure you are doing it for you.

Why did you start uni? Do your enjoy what you're studying? Do you have dreams of what you will do as you grow older? Will you still be able to do that if you make this decision?

Parents should build you up, help you achieve things and grow. They should not be limiting you. Only you can know if they are, but it seems to me they might be weather they realise it or not.

How far into uni are you? Is it so much time that you honestly fear you will be permanently distanced from them and lonely forever? Would you not be able to complete uni and see them over holidays then see where your life takes you next?
    It's your decision to make, but right now it seem like it's your parents making it. Just be sure that isn't the case before you do anything.

Hope that doesn't come across as rude or pushy. Good luck with whatever you choose.

(Original post by Kindred)
    I don't want to tell you what decisions to make- only you can do that- but this doesn't seem like healthy reasoning.
    This may sound super pessimistic or nasty, but what are you going to do when your parents die or become ill and can't be your company? You need to live your own life. If that life doesn't include uni then that's fine, but it needs to be your life and your decision.

You can still be close to your parents and spend time with them or even live with them, but make sure you are doing it for you.

Why did you start uni? Do your enjoy what you're studying? Do you have dreams of what you will do as you grow older? Will you still be able to do that if you make this decision?

Parents should build you up, help you achieve things and grow. They should not be limiting you. Only you can know if they are, but it seems to me they might be weather they realise it or not.

How far into uni are you? Is it so much time that you honestly fear you will be permanently distanced from them and lonely forever? Would you not be able to complete uni and see them over holidays then see where your life takes you next?
    It's your decision to make, but right now it seem like it's your parents making it. Just be sure that isn't the case before you do anything.

Hope that doesn't come across as rude or pushy. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    I didn't actually start it bc they never allowed me to go;I really wanted to go I tried reasoning with then saying that I'll be home on the weekends and the only thing they said was this is not a hotel where you come and gonna you please I said I cannot allow you to leave bc you can't be staying out of the house;how will I face the community and all the Asian bs

I'm at uni and I recently told my dad I have a boyfriend and he's really mad, so much so he cancelled his plans to visit me on my birthday. I've just accepted that I won't see my family on my birthday, because I'm not going to stop doing what I want just to please my dad. It's hard and I cried a lot but it'll be worth it. In the end, your parents will probably die before you and then what will you do? You'll have lived your life to suit them, when in the end you'll be left alone anyway living a life you didn't want to and possibly too late to start the life you did want to.

ReputationRep:
    That's emotional abuse on the part of your parents.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.