Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!! I’m looking for advise from fellow art students regarding my BA.

I’m currently on a gap year but I’m going to uni to study fine art in 2018. My options are York St. John, Manchester Met (MSOA) and Leeds Arts University.

I love York SO much and would love to live and study there, I can’t see myself being unhappy there at all, however it’s not an established art school, in comparison to Leeds and Manchester. I’ve been told many times that it doesn’t matter where you do your BA as long as you get a good grade to progress onto a MA somewhere prestigious because where you do your MA is important. Is that true? Does it matter where I do my fine art degree as long as I do well and the university can offer me everything I need? (Facilities, etc.)

Do I go to an established art school and be potentially unhappy in places that I’ve spent time in before and not enjoyed, or do I sacrifice the name and go to a smaller uni and be happy in a city that I love around people that I love? What’s important!!??

Please help!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Realistically, no. It does matter in the sense of, whether it provides suitable tuition and facilities for you to develop as an artist. It doesn't in the sense that, if you "make it" in the art world it won't be on the back of a degree name, it will be due to networking (which, a more well-established course may help by having more situations where you can do this) and on your own abilities (which are only supported by the course, not completely made by them).

You enjoying your environs and the course will have more of a positive effect on your work in the degree, and hence on the quality of your portfolio, and hence your applications to any particular roles related to design, than the name of your university.

ReputationRep:
    York is an amazing city and university- go for it! If you’re happy, I definitely think that itself positively influences your degree!
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

I have recently applied to Fine Art BA at various unis in the north. I was VERY interested in York St. John for a long time, but ultimately decided that it wasn't for me. You should definitely pick a uni based on whether you can see yourself there or not (which I could) AND whether you think you would be getting the kind of experience you want there (which I didn't think I would). I decided to stick to Leeds, Lancaster, Manchester Met and so on. This is personal preference, though - and the fact that you're asking the question suggests that you recognise that Art doesn't really need to be picked based on league tables. York St. John does rank considerably low (71st out of 81) for Art. However, if you love York and you're prepared to work hard, there is no reason why you shouldn't get just as good a degree as everyone else. You may, however, miss out on networking opportunities and recognition of going to a supposedly 'prestigious' uni.

Pick wherever you're happiest x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.