Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for someone to please give me a clear insight into the work load for this course? What does a typical Uni timetable look like. I have children and want to be able to commit to Uni fully whilst still running the family home. I am a mature student. Thanks!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Timetables, even between similar/identical subjects, will inevitably vary immensely between universities, as they may organise their modules differently, covering the same content but in different orders/formats, and have different availability of lecture theatres etc to rotate students between. Of course the actual times you'll have lectures will vary not only between universities, but often between years/cohorts at the same university! Not many universities have such stable course offerings and incoming cohort sizes that they can have the same modules taught at the same times and locations in every year.

While normally you'll need to be able to commit to attending contact hours between 9am and 5pm, typically, you won't necessarily need to be on campus and in lectures/seminars/tutorials for that entire period - often you'll find you have e.g. a couple lectures in the morning, then a few hours between that and your first afternoon lecture, or sometimes they'll all be in the afternoon/evening or in the morning. So it's quite possible you'll be able to back and forth a bit (depending where you live, this may be more or less feasible - also if you involve a car, it cuts the travel time down but parking at every university I've been at has always been a nightmare).

I recall when I was at Southampton I was one of about 20 that managed to pull a "death timetable" where we had back to back lectures/labs/tutorials from noon until 6pm Fridays! While having a lie in was nice, attendance definitely dwindled as the day went on, especially as the last section was a technically optional lab session...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.