The Student Room Group

DSA- dyslexia

Hi, I am studying Nautical Sciences and have applied for the DSA. I have a MacBook Air 2013 with read and write Gold, Inspiration, and Iriscan mouse, office and Final Cut on it. My Mac is unfortunately on its last legs however all of the software, as well as all of my work is on it, and I have used the Mac operating system for the last few years. I know the DSA will replace older laptops however are they likely to recommend me to have a windows laptop and then buy all of the software that I use every day again, or are they more likely to replace the Mac with another one? All of the software adds up to around £450 not including final cut so to buy a similarly specced i5 laptop along with all of that software would cost far more than buying a new Mac surely?
Original post by gplates
Hi, I am studying Nautical Sciences and have applied for the DSA. I have a MacBook Air 2013 with read and write Gold, Inspiration, and Iriscan mouse, office and Final Cut on it. My Mac is unfortunately on its last legs however all of the software, as well as all of my work is on it, and I have used the Mac operating system for the last few years. I know the DSA will replace older laptops however are they likely to recommend me to have a windows laptop and then buy all of the software that I use every day again, or are they more likely to replace the Mac with another one? All of the software adds up to around £450 not including final cut so to buy a similarly specced i5 laptop along with all of that software would cost far more than buying a new Mac surely?

They don't do macs on dsa anymore, unless you pay for an upgrade so it's likely they'll recommend the basic laptop with new software for you.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
They don't do macs on dsa anymore, unless you pay for an upgrade so it's likely they'll recommend the basic laptop with new software for you.

So if i was offered a £500 laptop (just a random figure) would I just have to pay the difference to get another Mac? It would really not be helpful to have to swap to windows and shift all of my work from the last couple of years across.
Original post by gplates
So if i was offered a £500 laptop (just a random figure) would I just have to pay the difference to get another Mac? It would really not be helpful to have to swap to windows and shift all of my work from the last couple of years across.

yes you would be able to pay the supplier the difference, but you might have to discuss what they can do with the software as i think generally the product licences only work for one pc and the mac software is more pricey for the most part.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending