Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm having some trouble finishing this problem off.

I've used the ideal gas equation to find V/n = 0.0247 m^3 per mol. However, I'm confused as to how to get m^3 per atom/molecule correctly from this.

I thought you multiplied by the Avagadro's number but you divide through by it.

Please could someone explain why this is, thanks
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docxIdeal gas problem.docx (244.3 KB, 8 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VioletPhillippo)
    Hi,

I'm having some trouble finishing this problem off.

I've used the ideal gas equation to find V/n = 0.0247 m^3 per mol. However, I'm confused as to how to get m^3 per atom/molecule correctly from this.

I thought you multiplied by the Avagadro's number but you divide through by it.

Please could someone explain why this is, thanks
    0.0247m^3 per mole

is the same as saying

0.0247m^3 per 6.02x10^23 atoms/molecules

so if that many molecules occupy 0.0247m^3, then one molecule must occupy 1/6.02x10^23 of that.

just think, if you multiply though my avagadros number you're basically saying 1 molecule occupies 6.02x10^23 time the volume of an entire mole of molecules, and that makes no sense!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.