Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do people get into relationships with people they barely know? Watch

Genuinely curious. I feel like I have to at least be good friends with a person before we pursue a relationship and ACTUALLY call ourselves boyfriend and girlfriend.

Thoughts?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Genuinely curious. I feel like I have to at least be good friends with a person before we pursue a relationship and ACTUALLY call ourselves boyfriend and girlfriend.

Thoughts?
    I'd known my husband just under a month before we got together, we've been practically inseparable in the almost 4 years since. We just got to know each other quite quickly and as we moved in together within about 5 months you learn a lot about a person when you live with them.

In my situation, I got to know him as we went out on dates, dating is where you get to know them
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    I met my current boyfriend of almost 3 years in November and we got together middle of December and didn't know too much about each other but that's the best part. I wouldn't of wanted to know everything and be friends for months with my boyfriend before getting together!

(Original post by claireestelle)
    I'd known my husband just under a month before we got together, we've been practically inseparable in the almost 4 years since. We just got to know each other quite quickly and as we moved in together within about 5 months you learn a lot about a person when you live with them.
    See that makes more sense than going on two dates and declaring yourselves in a relationship but still feeling very 'new' around each other. The sort of stage where you still tell your friends everything he/she is saying.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    That's the point of dating. You don't suddenly get into a relationship with someone. It takes weeks or months of dating before you get together.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    See that makes more sense than going on two dates and declaring yourselves in a relationship but still feeling very 'new' around each other. The sort of stage where you still tell your friends everything he/she is saying.
    we'd had I suppose three official dates before we got together, i've not done the tell your friends everything they are saying thing:P

(Original post by UWS)
    That's the point of dating. You don't suddenly get into a relationship with someone. It takes weeks or months of dating before you get together.
    I don't disagree here. But some people see someone twice and suddenly get into relationships which end up not working out because you don't really know the person.

Weeks and months of dating as opposed to just two dates are entirely different.

(Original post by claireestelle)
    we'd had I suppose three official dates before we got together, i've not done the tell your friends everything they are saying thing:P
    Good on you. It's very frustrating when people do this. Just keep it between you and the person.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Good on you. It's very frustrating when people do this. Just keep it between you and the person.
    we will discuss if anyone is having any relationship issues or good news with friends but no one i know has ever told anyone everything their partner does, can't understand why you would.

ReputationRep:
    I got with my girlfriend just 3 weeks after meeting, if there is chemistry there it can happen very quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Because we've all heard the stories of people meeting, getting married a week later, and then still being together and happy 50 years later. Very rarely happens but it's what many people desire. Some people just click at it works.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.