Turn on thread page Beta

Is it bad that I haven't revised for my a levels so far? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That_Hijabi)
    I'm doing business , sociology and psychology. I know absolutely nothing in business, a bit in sociology and I'm definitely up to speed in psychology.
    It's not that bad then but it is best to start revising earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xBasedChris)
    Despite what many on TSR say, you don't need to start revising this early. I started my A2 revision around Easter and got A*A*A. A-Levels are not as hard as TSR hypes them up to be.
    I got really bad GCSEs according to TSR and everyone so starting that late would be just stupid because exam season would be around then. I'm doing psychology, business and sociology in which is apparently the hardest exam board (CIE) so I guess Idk

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion, start revision in the right mindset. From my experience, I couldn't force myself to study cause nothing would stay inside my head. The best way to actually motivate yourself is to remind yourself why you are doing the courses you are doing. For example, whatever your career goal is, remind yourself of that career goal, and why you need to achieve good a level grades.

It isn't late, not at all. If you don't feel like doing anything right now, just sit down and make notes and just look through them. Theres no need to like start cramming revision in your head and then forget it afterwards cause you weren't in the right mindset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Black Water)
    It's not that bad then but it is best to start revising earlier.
    That's true . I should

ReputationRep:
    Revise now!

ReputationRep:
    I got really bad GCSEs according to TSR and everyone so starting that late would be just stupid because exam season would be around then. I'm doing psychology, business and sociology in which is apparently the hardest exam board (CIE) so I guess Idk
    You're literally a month into the year, you haven't covered the vast majority of the material yet. There is no need to start your revision yet, leave it until the New Year at the earliest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalikuku)
    in my opinion, start revision in the right mindset. From my experience, I couldn't force myself to study cause nothing would stay inside my head. The best way to actually motivate yourself is to remind yourself why you are doing the courses you are doing. For example, whatever your career goal is, remind yourself of that career goal, and why you need to achieve good a level grades.

It isn't late, not at all. If you don't feel like doing anything right now, just sit down and make notes and just look through them. Theres no need to like start cramming revision in your head and then forget it afterwards cause you weren't in the right mindset.
    That's so true. I'm a very demotivated person but now that I'm a year back from uni , I feel more motivated to do well. Great advice !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George Jesus)
    Revise now!
    Lol ok

You're literally a month into the year, you haven't covered the vast majority of the material yet. There is no need to start your revision yet, leave it until the New Year at the earliest.
    I really want to do well . I want at least one A . I just want to prove to myself that I can actually achieve something . I tend to overthink quite a lot so I'm just scared about results day when I get CFU. I need to catch up on 2 of my a levels

ReputationRep:
    Lol ok

I really want to do well . I want at least one A . I just want to prove to myself that I can actually achieve something . I tend to overthink quite a lot so I'm just scared about results day when I get CFU. I need to catch up on 2 of my a levels
    That sort of paranoia is what TSR feeds, partially because a vocal minority of people here think A-Levels are the most difficult thing in the world. You can't revise something which you have not learned properly in the first place. If your GCSEs went poorly, I'd hazard a guess that you're not capable of self-teaching the course. Therefore, you're best off having it taught to you, and then revising closer to the exam.

ReputationRep:
    That sort of paranoia is what TSR feeds, partially because a vocal minority of people here think A-Levels are the most difficult thing in the world. You can't revise something which you have not learned properly in the first place. If your GCSEs went poorly, I'd hazard a guess that you're not capable of self-teaching the course. Therefore, you're best off having it taught to you, and then revising closer to the exam.
    I still don't think revising closer to the exam will be for me but you're really right about TSR..
    I'm struggling to understand what's going on in business and my teacher isn't really good so I'm just frustrated.. ya know? I need to relax just a little bit but defo catch up with Work. Excellent grades btw!!!

ReputationRep:
    I still don't think revising closer to the exam will be for me but you're really right about TSR..
    I'm struggling to understand what's going on in business and my teacher isn't really good so I'm just frustrated.. ya know? I need to relax just a little bit but defo catch up with Work. Excellent grades btw!!!
    Thanks! If your teacher is poor, then there is little chance you can teach yourself it better. Ask for clarification, or perhaps get a tutor?

Just try and relax, there is loads of time.

ReputationRep:
    Excuse me if I sound brash, but as an A2 student myself, I know it's best to do work for ALL A-Levels from the beginning. It'd a good idea to leave Christmas and onward mainly for revision and exam practise. It's much more better to finish all your revision notes by then and know all the topics really well before that time period.

Why, you may ask? Because:

-Some colleges/sixth-forms have mock exams during December and April- so you don't really have a choice
    -Even if you don't have mock exams, you'd be surprised how fast time goes after Christmas
    -You don't want to handle the intense pressure and stress of not having done any work for A-Levels till Christmas
    -Trust me on the previous point

The thing is with A-Levels, they're not like GCSE's. You can still get pretty decent pass grades or even exceptional grades pretty much last-minute with those, if you've got the tenacity. With A-Levels, no matter how clever you are or were, it simply won't be enough.

You'd think with only 3-4 A-Levels, it's pretty easy. No- you're wrong. They make up for the lack of subjects by fattening up each subject to the brim with content- and the detail, well gosh, isn't it monstrous? There will be so much work you have to prepare for, you won't know where to start. If you leave it late, I guarantee nothing above a C, if not lower.

Christmas should be when you FINISH your revision, not when you start. I don't want to see more people naively walk into A-Level and end up in tears during Results Day, I've seen it happen before, and it's really upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    Despite what many on TSR say, you don't need to start revising this early. I started my A2 revision around Easter and got A*A*A. A-Levels are not as hard as TSR hypes them up to be.
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    I got A*A*A* quite comfortably and started revising heavily in May (Notes from like March).
    What are your revision techniques

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer_Refresh)
    Excuse me if I sound brash, but as an A2 student myself, I know it's best to do work for ALL A-Levels from the beginning. It'd a good idea to leave Christmas and onward mainly for revision and exam practise. It's much more better to finish all your revision notes by then and know all the topics really well before that time period.

Why, you may ask? Because:

-Some colleges/sixth-forms have mock exams during December and April- so you don't really have a choice
    -Even if you don't have mock exams, you'd be surprised how fast time goes after Christmas
    -You don't want to handle the intense pressure and stress of not having done any work for A-Levels till Christmas
    -Trust me on the previous point

The thing is with A-Levels, they're not like GCSE's. You can still get pretty decent pass grades or even exceptional grades pretty much last-minute with those, if you've got the tenacity. With A-Levels, no matter how clever you are or were, it simply won't be enough.

You'd think with only 3-4 A-Levels, it's pretty easy. No- you're wrong. They make up for the lack of subjects by fattening up each subject to the brim with content- and the detail, well gosh, isn't it monstrous? There will be so much work you have to prepare for, you won't know where to start. If you leave it late, I guarantee nothing above a C, if not lower.

Christmas should be when you FINISH your revision, not when you start. I don't want to see more people naively walk into A-Level and end up in tears during Results Day, I've seen it happen before, and it's really upsetting.
    That's a very unrealistic goal , I can't be revising a whole a level in just less than 3 months when there's 6 months after Christmas. I am going to start now but I simply can't finish jusy before Christmas. If i were to do that then I'd be up 24 hours a day , glued to my work.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! If your teacher is poor, then there is little chance you can teach yourself it better. Ask for clarification, or perhaps get a tutor?

Just try and relax, there is loads of time.
    I'm already at a private school so My family would go broke if I were to do tuition! I'll just have to self teach a little bit.

I'll try to relax a little bit

ReputationRep:
    That's a very unrealistic goal , I can't be revising a whole a level in just less than 3 months when there's 6 months after Christmas. I am going to start now but I simply can't finish jusy before Christmas. If i were to do that then I'd be up 24 hours a day , glued to my work.
    Whoops... sorry! I didn't mean the ENTIRE A-Level course (that truly is unrealistic). I strongly recommend about half-way, and reading ahead. It really helps, trust me. But really, don't leave a lot for after Christmas. At the very least, I strongly recommend to get whatever you need to get done by March. After March, it should really be exam practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GovernmentEarner)
    I got A*A*A* quite comfortably and started revising heavily in May (Notes from like March).
    Wow ! Awesome. That could never be me. Ever .

ReputationRep:
    Also, I don't know which year you're in. Are you a first year? If so, it should be a lot easier for you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer_Refresh)
    Whoops... sorry! I didn't mean the ENTIRE A-Level course (that truly is unrealistic). I strongly recommend about half-way, and reading ahead. It really helps, trust me. But really, don't leave a lot for after Christmas. At the very least, I strongly recommend to get whatever you need to get done by March. After March, it should really be exam practice.
    Hahha right
    I just want to go in the exam feeling very confident and to enjoy summer . I hate being stressed out so much so I would really go bonkers if I had to revise intensely near the exam date. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxtentacion..)
    What are your revision techniques
    English: Make notes on poems, texts, themes, etc. I've always been fairly talented with essay-writing and literature, so just having the base knowledge was enough for me.

Politics: Repeat information verbally until I remember it, and then summarise topics in note form.

History: Same as Politics

IT: Same as Politics

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.