Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm currently sitting Higher English at the moment and I know that usually you need an A or B to study English at university , but I was curious do your national 5s play any part in you being considerd? E.g Say you get a C at higher but you have an A at national 5 would you be considered or is it literally like you need an A or a B or you don't get in?

ReputationRep:
    Highers are far more important Nat 5s are barely relevant to your application unless you’re going somewhere really really competitive. They won’t override your higher results. Don’t panic just yet you’ve got plenty of time to get that A. Good luck
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    As above, unis barely pay attention to Nat 5s - at best they just check to make sure you've got at least a C in English and a C in a science/maths. My current 'entry profile' on my uni record doesn't even show my Nat 5s lol, it just has my highers/adv. highers.

So basically yeah you need to get an A/B in your Higher to even have your app looked at, which sounds kinda mean but tbh if you're not getting an A/B (realistically an A) in the subject at higher then the prospects of you handling it at uni level aren't great so it's easy to see where they're coming from. But like study hard etc, get good grades, it's only October, it'll probs be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.