Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I didnt get the qualifications to apply directly into Medicine Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I sat my Highers in the last Academic year and received A- Maths A- Biology B- Chemistry B-English and sadly a D- Administration. I know in order to apply for medicine you need 5 Highers at A grade within the first sitting and three advanced highers. This year i am sitting my three advanced highers being Biology, Chemistry and Maths which i hope to get AAB/AAA.

My plan was to sit my UKCAT test which i had booked before receiving my results and get the grades and sit my advanced highers however because i did not get the required grades i canceled my UKCAT test and forgot about applying for medicine directly as i thought it was not possible to apply for medicine directly any other way. So the deadline for applying for medicine has gone. So my Plan B was to apply for biomedical science and get a graduate degree in Medicine. However i spoke to My Uncle who is a doctor and he suggested to find a way that will enable me to apply directly into medicine even if it takes additional to get more qualifications.

My problem is i do not know what qualifications i should get or what i can do after sitting my Advanced highers, as the universities want you to have sat the Highers and get 5 A's in one sitting. Would taking a gap year make a difference because i still wont have the grades in one sitting? Shall i sit other highers? I have no idea what i should do that can allow me to directly apply for medicine, i do not mind if i have to sit highers again but i do not know if i am able to do so, to make a difference?

The deadline for the medicine application for university was 10th October 2017

ReputationRep:
    Hi Imogen,
    the best bet is to actually call the admissions people at the universities that you'd like to get into and ask them directly. They're normally very helpful
    and can give you advice as to what possible other courses you can take that may lead to medicine. In fact, most admissions people are happy to talk to prospective students, it shows that the student is willing to find things out for themselves, i.e. they are independent learners.
    Hope this helps,
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imogen_gregory)
    Hi guys,

I sat my Highers in the last Academic year and received A- Maths A- Biology B- Chemistry B-English and sadly a D- Administration. I know in order to apply for medicine you need 5 Highers at A grade within the first sitting and three advanced highers. This year i am sitting my three advanced highers being Biology, Chemistry and Maths which i hope to get AAB/AAA.

My plan was to sit my UKCAT test which i had booked before receiving my results and get the grades and sit my advanced highers however because i did not get the required grades i canceled my UKCAT test and forgot about applying for medicine directly as i thought it was not possible to apply for medicine directly any other way. So the deadline for applying for medicine has gone. So my Plan B was to apply for biomedical science and get a graduate degree in Medicine. However i spoke to My Uncle who is a doctor and he suggested to find a way that will enable me to apply directly into medicine even if it takes additional to get more qualifications.

My problem is i do not know what qualifications i should get or what i can do after sitting my Advanced highers, as the universities want you to have sat the Highers and get 5 A's in one sitting. Would taking a gap year make a difference because i still wont have the grades in one sitting? Shall i sit other highers? I have no idea what i should do that can allow me to directly apply for medicine, i do not mind if i have to sit highers again but i do not know if i am able to do so, to make a difference?

The deadline for the medicine application for university was 10th October 2017
    Sadly, there's no point In doing 3AH .. you have no chance of getting in through your school days. Biomed wont even want 3AH lol and most of the people who apply with 5As and yet, some are still rejected. It will have to be graduate entry route for you buddy as best option, bare in mind you'll still need a 2:1 or 1st in your degree which 10% of the university students achieve a first only never mind doing UkCAT and the whole application process again. Goodluck.

ReputationRep:
    them
    (Original post by Medic DUX)
    Sadly, there's no point In doing 3AH .. you have no chance of getting in through your school days. Biomed wont even want 3AH lol and most of the people who apply with 5As and yet, some are still rejected. It will have to be graduate entry route for you buddy as best option, bare in mind you'll still need a 2:1 or 1st in your degree which 10% of the university students achieve a first only never mind doing UkCAT and the whole application process again. Goodluck.
    Hi thank you for your response i am applying for biomedicine in England and they focus only on advanced highers which is why i am doing them. I wouldn't be sitting them if they weren't required. I was aware that i needed a 2:1 or 1st but thank you again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imogen_gregory)
    them
    Hi thank you for your response i am applying for biomedicine in England and they focus only on advanced highers which is why i am doing them. I wouldn't be sitting them if they weren't required. I was aware that i needed a 2:1 or 1st but thank you again.
    Ahh, wasn't aware of that lol. You would only need 3A at high to apply for England Medicine, but they will need u to crack down on your advanced highers as they want AAA at higher and AH with more emphysis whereas for Scottish unis they are chill and most want AAAAA at higher, however they are fair giving conditions of BBB at AH rather than AAA, less pressure on harder exams

Goodluck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.