Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My Lecturers are harassing me Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Now my answer is, who has had experience with Open University?
    That's harder in the sense that you have to motivate yourself. Yes, you do get tutorials; but they're only once a month or something and no-one will check if you don't turn up.

ReputationRep:
    My youngest daughter is doing Law on the OU. There is some interaction with other students, but this only if she goes to tutorials. But with 4 children and another on the way, she hardly ever gets to it. She has a very supportive tutor though who is happy to email/Skype with her at any time.

(Original post by Tiger Rag)
    That's harder in the sense that you have to motivate yourself. Yes, you do get tutorials; but they're only once a month or something and no-one will check if you don't turn up.
    Ah i see. can i complete my third year in a year (like the normal october-June year).

(Original post by Seamus123)
    My youngest daughter is doing Law on the OU. There is some interaction with other students, but this only if she goes to tutorials. But with 4 children and another on the way, she hardly ever gets to it. She has a very supportive tutor though who is happy to email/Skype with her at any time.
    So are tutorials are like near where you live or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FloralHybrid)
    Well, firstly, be open. It's not just laziness that's making you avoid these lectures, it's social anxiety.

Secondly - You're completely wrong in thinking that people go to lectures to join their friends. It's about learning! To get through your degree! Nobody will be judging you for sitting alone, if anything you'll get more work done. You need to get help, work on your way of thinking, your lecturers have every right to "harass" you for not turning up. You're paying upwards of £9 a year for this degree - USE IT.
    (We're gonna ignore the fact I put £9 instead of £9000 ok? ok)
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Not always. I had to travel from Plymouth to Exeter and did have someone in my group who had to travel from Cornwall.

It depends on the tutor and where most people are based.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to attend these lectures due to not having no friends so what i can do. How can i tell my lecturers to stay the **** back and let me do things my way? i do very well with my assignments and i don't care if i graduate with a third class honours or a 2:2 because i'm gonna be a recluse after uni.
    This is the problem.]
    You go to University to learn primarily, making friends is secondary.

You mentioned you have anxiety? So do I. But sometimes if you're struggling that hard because of it, you will have to actually get in contact with people whom can help you. Talk to your lecturers and your supervisors because at the end of the day, they're doing their job. They cannot read your mind or understand your mental state if YOU DO NOT TALK TO THEM.

ReputationRep:
    you don't need to talk to anyone at the lecture. you can't expect to go to uni and not go to any of the lectures, it's a bit of a silly idea.

ReputationRep:
    Not always, and not in my daughter's case. We live in Bucks and her tutor is in Kent.

(Original post by FloralHybrid)
    (We're gonna ignore the fact I put £9 instead of £9000 ok? ok)
    lol £9 i wish.

It's because i have poor social skills; i am seen as more weaker so i'm ****ing obsessed with this issue

Anyway i have given up, i'm leaving at the end of year. The lecturer that made me cry was a new low for me...

ReputationRep:
    lol £9 i wish.

It's because i have poor social skills; i am seen as more weaker so i'm ****ing obsessed with this issue

Anyway i have given up, i'm leaving at the end of year. The lecturer that made me cry was a new low for me...
    I don't think you have to give up. Getting therapy may be a big help. The lecturer may have no approached it correctly, but he was right to push you for reasons why you weren't turning up.

University is about learning, which is an incredible thing. And doing it on your own in lectures is okay. Your mental health does always come first. But you don't need to give up on education all together because of this.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.