Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This year I began my first year of undergraduate studies at a university I had said I would go to since high school. I am in the Chemistry program. The school offers co-op and I was very excited to go and be in the co-op program. However this university is pretty far from my home so I was required to live on residence. In the beginning I was ok and wasn't hit hard by homesickness. However as time progressed I found myself getting worse and more homesick. I wasn't able to study properly, eat properly and my mental health seemed to be going down. This happened even though I came home every weekend and only stayed on residence 4 nights a week. It got really bad to the point where I had to come home in the middle of the week sometimes. I was not sure why this was happening to me as I was originally excited to come to this school. I am not sure if it is because I don't have many friends there or because I am just a homebody that studies better at my home. I even tried studying in the library and my residence study rooms but nothing worked Now I am taking a lighter course load and commuting from home. I am much happier and am studying a lot better however I cannot commute every year since later on I will have to take a heavier course load. The commute by bus to my current university is about 2-3 hours. I originally planned on transferring to a university closer to home but now I have too many options. Please let me know any advice you have and what option you think is the best:

1. Commute to my current university for the rest of this year and next year live with a family friend. -not sure if I will still be sad/able to study with this plan
    2. Transfer to a university closer to my home by the end of this term (January 2018) - there are not many schools that allow you to transfer between terms and my parents think I will be downgrading as the university I must transfer to isn't as prestigious as the one I am currently at. I will also lose co-op- also one of my close relatives said I could go from their house which I would be comfortable with- the commute will be about 1 hour by bus
    3. Commute this whole year at my current university and transfer next year to any university close to home - even some equivalently prestigious ones - I will lose co-op

Even though I am commuting, every time I go back to my current university I feel as though the environment is bringing me down and I don't know why. Also if I transfer I don't know how it will be in a new environment. Thank you for reading and I hope you are able to help me decide
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by wintergirl7)
    This year I began my first year of undergraduate studies at a university I had said I would go to since high school. I am in the Chemistry program. The school offers co-op and I was very excited to go and be in the co-op program. However this university is pretty far from my home so I was required to live on residence. In the beginning I was ok and wasn't hit hard by homesickness. However as time progressed I found myself getting worse and more homesick. I wasn't able to study properly, eat properly and my mental health seemed to be going down. This happened even though I came home every weekend and only stayed on residence 4 nights a week. It got really bad to the point where I had to come home in the middle of the week sometimes. I was not sure why this was happening to me as I was originally excited to come to this school. I am not sure if it is because I don't have many friends there or because I am just a homebody that studies better at my home. I even tried studying in the library and my residence study rooms but nothing worked Now I am taking a lighter course load and commuting from home. I am much happier and am studying a lot better however I cannot commute every year since later on I will have to take a heavier course load. The commute by bus to my current university is about 2-3 hours. I originally planned on transferring to a university closer to home but now I have too many options. Please let me know any advice you have and what option you think is the best:

1. Commute to my current university for the rest of this year and next year live with a family friend. -not sure if I will still be sad/able to study with this plan
    2. Transfer to a university closer to my home by the end of this term (January 2018) - there are not many schools that allow you to transfer between terms and my parents think I will be downgrading as the university I must transfer to isn't as prestigious as the one I am currently at. I will also lose co-op- also one of my close relatives said I could go from their house which I would be comfortable with- the commute will be about 1 hour by bus
    3. Commute this whole year at my current university and transfer next year to any university close to home - even some equivalently prestigious ones - I will lose co-op

Even though I am commuting, every time I go back to my current university I feel as though the environment is bringing me down and I don't know why. Also if I transfer I don't know how it will be in a new environment. Thank you for reading and I hope you are able to help me decide
    Hiya:hello:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

Sorry to hear about your situation.:console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Hiya:hello:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

Sorry to hear about your situation.:console:
    Hi

Thanks very much hopefully I can get some help. Yep its a tough one Thanks again for the help

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.