Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This year I began my first year of undergraduate studies at a university I had said I would go to since high school. I am in the Chemistry program. The school offers co-op and I was very excited to go and be in the co-op program. However this university is pretty far from my home so I was required to live on residence. In the beginning I was ok and wasn't hit hard by homesickness. However as time progressed I found myself getting worse and more homesick. I wasn't able to study properly, eat properly and my mental health seemed to be going down. This happened even though I came home every weekend and only stayed on residence 4 nights a week. It got really bad to the point where I had to come home in the middle of the week sometimes. I was not sure why this was happening to me as I was originally excited to come to this school. I am not sure if it is because I don't have many friends there or because I am just a homebody that studies better at my home. I even tried studying in the library and my residence study rooms but nothing worked Now I am taking a lighter course load and commuting from home. I am much happier and am studying a lot better however I cannot commute every year since later on I will have to take a heavier course load. The commute by bus to my current university is about 2-3 hours. I originally planned on transferring to a university closer to home but now I have too many options. Please let me know any advice you have and what option you think is the best:

1. Commute to my current university for the rest of this year and next year live with a family friend. -not sure if I will still be sad/able to study with this plan
    2. Transfer to a university closer to my home by the end of this term (January 2018) - there are not many schools that allow you to transfer between terms and my parents think I will be downgrading as the university I must transfer to isn't as prestigious as the one I am currently at. I will also lose co-op- also one of my close relatives said I could go from their house which I would be comfortable with- the commute will be about 1 hour by bus
    3. Commute this whole year at my current university and transfer next year to any university close to home - even some equivalently prestigious ones - I will lose co-op

Even though I am commuting, every time I go back to my current university I feel as though the environment is bringing me down and I don't know why. Also if I transfer I don't know how it will be in a new environment. Thank you for reading and I hope you are able to help me decide
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wintergirl7)
    This year I began my first year of undergraduate studies at a university I had said I would go to since high school. I am in the Chemistry program. The school offers co-op and I was very excited to go and be in the co-op program. However this university is pretty far from my home so I was required to live on residence. In the beginning I was ok and wasn't hit hard by homesickness. However as time progressed I found myself getting worse and more homesick. I wasn't able to study properly, eat properly and my mental health seemed to be going down. This happened even though I came home every weekend and only stayed on residence 4 nights a week. It got really bad to the point where I had to come home in the middle of the week sometimes. I was not sure why this was happening to me as I was originally excited to come to this school. I am not sure if it is because I don't have many friends there or because I am just a homebody that studies better at my home. I even tried studying in the library and my residence study rooms but nothing worked Now I am taking a lighter course load and commuting from home. I am much happier and am studying a lot better however I cannot commute every year since later on I will have to take a heavier course load. The commute by bus to my current university is about 2-3 hours. I originally planned on transferring to a university closer to home but now I have too many options. Please let me know any advice you have and what option you think is the best:

1. Commute to my current university for the rest of this year and next year live with a family friend. -not sure if I will still be sad/able to study with this plan
    2. Transfer to a university closer to my home by the end of this term (January 2018) - there are not many schools that allow you to transfer between terms and my parents think I will be downgrading as the university I must transfer to isn't as prestigious as the one I am currently at. I will also lose co-op- also one of my close relatives said I could go from their house which I would be comfortable with- the commute will be about 1 hour by bus
    3. Commute this whole year at my current university and transfer next year to any university close to home - even some equivalently prestigious ones - I will lose co-op

Even though I am commuting, every time I go back to my current university I feel as though the environment is bringing me down and I don't know why. Also if I transfer I don't know how it will be in a new environment. Thank you for reading and I hope you are able to help me decide
    Hiya:hello:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

Sorry to hear about your situation.:console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04MR17)
    Hiya:hello:

I've popped your thread into this sub-forum so that you'll hopefully get the replies you're after.

Sorry to hear about your situation.:console:
    Hi

Thanks very much hopefully I can get some help. Yep its a tough one Thanks again for the help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.