The Student Room Group

Difference between an interview with HR and interview with your potential business?

What's good everyone,

As a recent graduate, I was lucky and some what proud that I was recently invited to a job interview at a large corporation. When HR initially contacted me with regards to my application for the job role I jumped straight for it and told them that I could make the date and time they gave me. Literally, put all my other plans aside - given that I have been struggling for a while on the job market.

Anyway, on the day I had a few 1-to-1 interviews with two of the hiring managers at the company and then a separate 1-to-1 interview with HR. I found this to be a bit strange, as I am not used to or have come across separate interviews with HR and the hiring managers. I have come across panel interviews before.

Anyway, what is the purpose of the HR interview? I can somewhat understand the business line manager interviews as they are the ones that I will have to be working with day in, day out
usually competency based questions, and general talking about your CV and why you are applying for that particular job and sector.

from a business line manager, they are more likely to ask more technical questions and see what your understanding of the role and firm is like.
Reply 2
Original post by woodchuck
usually competency based questions, and general talking about your CV and why you are applying for that particular job and sector.

from a business line manager, they are more likely to ask more technical questions and see what your understanding of the role and firm is like.

Thanks. I assume both work hand in hand?

Also, if I mess up in one interview but not the other two - do I still have a chance? I know for a fact that I smashed the HR interview - its like a gut instinct.
Original post by l1fer
Thanks. I assume both work hand in hand?

Also, if I mess up in one interview but not the other two - do I still have a chance? I know for a fact that I smashed the HR interview - its like a gut instinct.

basically yeah, just remember that HR people can't really ask technical questions as they are unlikely to have the knowledge.

i've had final stage interviews where they slipped in a few competency questions that i didnt expect and wasn't prepared for, so always expect the unexpected!

i'm not best placed to answer your other question - it depends on how other people did, and how you perform in the recruitment process as a whole. i've had interviews i thought i smashed and not got invited back - another i did, i thought i had no chance and so prepared half assed, then got invited back.

all the best mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending