The Student Room Group

Primary teaching help???

Hi,

I've just started studying my A levels and I'm really stuck on what to do. I currently study 4 subjects - History, English lit, Psychology and Health and Social care. I want to do primary teaching once I have finished A levels. My school have told me to drop one subject and I know I am definitley keeping English lit and History however i don't know whether to drop Health and Social Care or Psychology. I feel like Psychology will keep me open to more careers in case I change my mind on primary teaching. However I am aware that in Psychology there is a lot of maths and I am terrible at it (I got a C at GCSE). I am confident that I will get a good grade in health and social but I don't know how respected it is or how beneficial it is to teaching or other careers?

My questions are:

Is anyone currently a primary teacher or studying it at degree level? If so what a levels did you take?
Is the maths in psychology hard?
Which would you recommend dropping?
Is health and social or psychology more beneficial for primary teaching and which gives me the best chance of getting onto a uni courses?

Thank you
Original post by Historystudent5
Hi,

I've just started studying my A levels and I'm really stuck on what to do. I currently study 4 subjects - History, English lit, Psychology and Health and Social care. I want to do primary teaching once I have finished A levels. My school have told me to drop one subject and I know I am definitley keeping English lit and History however i don't know whether to drop Health and Social Care or Psychology. I feel like Psychology will keep me open to more careers in case I change my mind on primary teaching. However I am aware that in Psychology there is a lot of maths and I am terrible at it (I got a C at GCSE). I am confident that I will get a good grade in health and social but I don't know how respected it is or how beneficial it is to teaching or other careers?

My questions are:

Is anyone currently a primary teacher or studying it at degree level? If so what a levels did you take?
Is the maths in psychology hard?
Which would you recommend dropping?
Is health and social or psychology more beneficial for primary teaching and which gives me the best chance of getting onto a uni courses?

Thank you

Hello there :h: I think that neither will make a huge difference to your application or give you more of an advantage/disadvantage. Health and social care is still very relevant to primary teaching so it'd look just as good as psychology. Plus, you've got 2 core subjects which will look great anyway. I didn't take psychology myself but I know the maths in it is very minimal at A level, so I really wouldn't worry about that! :smile: If you'd enjoy health and social and you're confident you'll get a good grade then I think that could be an option for you! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest