The Student Room Group

Exeter Applied Psychology Interview

I have just been given an interview and I was wondering what the interview is like, what the style of the interview is and what kind of questions they ask ? I've heard they do group interviews but is this still the case?
Hi! I have just been offered my interview too! I heard that there is 1 group interview with a "lived in" group (?), 1 one-on-one interview, and one communications exam (?). I don't know any more than that! Which day did you choose? :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi!

I don't know if you've already had the interview? But I had it last year and am studying the Clinical course at Exeter now. Thought I'd give you a few tips from my perspective...

First of all, talk to the other people waiting to be interviewed.. it'll help calm your nerves, and prepare you to speak during the interview. When I went, everyone was sat in silence (for a Clinical Psychology degree interview!!) so I tried to start some conversations which I think helped warm me up a bit. Plus, you may make friends that you'll see when you start the course :-)

In the group interview, in groups of 4 we spoke to a member of the "Lived Experiences Group" which is a group of people with expertise from the perspective of having had a MH problem. We then spoke about another person (we were provided with the information about her before), and her experience of MH problems. Thinking about what you could say beforehand, and any unique answers, may be useful!

Then, we had the one-to-one interviews, where we were basically asked questions similar to a job interview (e.g. why do you want to take this course, do you have any relevant experience etc etc). The people interviewing were the people that you'll see in your fourth year when you do the clinical placement. I was so so anxious and jittery, but still got a place, so don't worry if you think you flopped! It's normal to feel nervous, and sometimes can be a good thing!

It's a great course, I'm really enjoying it so far - good luck!!
Hi there, just had my interview last week, was wondering how long it took for you to get an offer if you remember? Going crazy trying not to think about it too much!
Original post by joseffthomas
Hi there, just had my interview last week, was wondering how long it took for you to get an offer if you remember? Going crazy trying not to think about it too much!

Do all universities have an interview? International applicant here.
Not for most psychology courses, but the one I’m applying for has a clinical placement year so they interview for suitability for that role.
What time of year do the interviews typically start ?

Quick Reply

Latest