Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it wrong to date a previous teacher? Watch

Announcements

Back when I was doing my A Levels I had this one teacher who I looked up to the most. A lot of the girls had little crushes on him as he was only 8 years older than us, which was quite refreshing seeing as most of our teachers were much older. However, he was my favourite teacher because he taught my favourite subject, helped me realise what I was good at, and was always so supportive.

We kept in contact via email since I left to start university. Even before I met him I knew that teaching was something that I wanted to do, and so after graduating from university I returned to my previous school to start a teaching career. Surprisingly, he still taught there. It’s my second year of teaching here and I’ve felt us grow more fond of each other over time, and I honestly think I am developing feelings for him. He seems to feel the same way too. I’m just worried of what other people may think, especially my previous teachers who are still here as well as my ex classmates. What is your opinion? Do you think it is wrong to date a previous teacher?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Back when I was doing my A Levels I had this one teacher who I looked up to the most. A lot of the girls had little crushes on him as he was only 8 years older than us, which was quite refreshing seeing as most of our teachers were much older. However, he was my favourite teacher because he taught my favourite subject, helped me realise what I was good at, and was always so supportive.

We kept in contact via email since I left to start university. Even before I met him I knew that teaching was something that I wanted to do, and so after graduating from university I returned to my previous school to start a teaching career. Surprisingly, he still taught there. It’s my second year of teaching here and I’ve felt us grow more fond of each other over time, and I honestly think I am developing feelings for him. He seems to feel the same way too. I’m just worried of what other people may think, especially my previous teachers who are still here as well as my ex classmates. What is your opinion? Do you think it is wrong to date a previous teacher?
    it might be seen as "a bit weird" by your peers. but the age gap is decent, you're both legally allowed to have a relationship so i don't see any problem.

people will see it differently, it could be tricky, but i think that if you really like him; go for it. go get him hun

ReputationRep:
    Did you bang him for a grade?

ReputationRep:
    No reason not to go for him. Only problem I can see happening is others, mainly senior teaching staff, may question how long the relationships been going on and if it started when you were a student there. Meaning he may be in breach of his code of conduct under their eyes. So you may just have to be careful regarding that.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds cute! But all I can say if just be careful with how you handle your relationship. Just like the others said the age gap is pretty decent👍
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

(Original post by ZiggyStardust_)
    it might be seen as "a bit weird" by your peers. but the age gap is decent, you're both legally allowed to have a relationship so i don't see any problem.

people will see it differently, it could be tricky, but i think that if you really like him; go for it. go get him hun
    I guess we could try keeping the relationship a secret from my colleagues. Though it would be hard seeing as we work in the same place!

(Original post by xEmilyxx)
    No reason not to go for him. Only problem I can see happening is others, mainly senior teaching staff, may question how long the relationships been going on and if it started when you were a student there. Meaning he may be in breach of his code of conduct under their eyes. So you may just have to be careful regarding that.
    Do you think they’d believe us if we were honest and explained how we only felt this way AFTER I graduated university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Do you think they’d believe us if we were honest and explained how we only felt this way AFTER I graduated university?
    I believe you could. It depends just how long it's been since you first started working there. If it's over one year then it's fine as it's a substantial amount of time. Anything less is suspicious. Longer you wait before you tell anyone the better.

ReputationRep:
    He's not your teacher now - he's a colleague. It's all a bit odd but perfectly plausible that you only fell for each other after you started working at the school. It is a completely different situation to a teacher keeping in touch with a pupil and then dating them six months after they left. Perhaps leave out the bit about keeping in contact by email (etc) in the meantime?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I find it a bit weird and your colleagues probably will too if they remember you as a student. I would guess it will probably make at least some people think badly of him. That said I can see how it happens - perhaps if you joined another school it would be easier?

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure

ReputationRep:
    I see nothing wrong with it. However, your colleagues and ex-classmates might have a few raised eyebrows. If you date openly and show to everyone that you both are serious and it's not a fling then I have no doubt that any whispers and such will die down. If you both date secretly it might be a lot more work and will probably look suspicious. You can always explain it like you have done here if someone asks.

ReputationRep:
    As long as there has been a decent amount of time since he was your teacher and you are no longer under any legal care by him, then i can't see an issue. As many others have said, some will see it as odd and might make assumptions, but at the end of the day it is your life and if he makes you happy then go for it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.