Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and sitting the new 9-1 gcses. I've been told they are significantly harder and require a lot more work? How true is this? And how mud revision do you need for the new ones?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annonomus)
    Hello, I'm currently in year 11 and sitting the new 9-1 gcses. I've been told they are significantly harder and require a lot more work? How true is this? And how mud revision do you need for the new ones?
    -they are harder, but this may result in grade boundaries being lower? i've heard that the maths grade 9 was 75% bc everyone did so bad (but don't hold me to it)

-you should be able to do the same amount of revision, however there may be new topics involved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by annonomus)
    Hi there, I'm also in current Year 11. The best advice I can give you is to revise from now, it is what I am doing and I am finding that I am doing better in tests because the knowledge I have is there. Hope I have helped

ReputationRep:
    i've done the new maths and eng lang and lit exams and they're not bad...tbh lol it's like they cut out all the crap and really question what you've revised. you'll be okay! just revise what you've learnt in class and do all the past paper questions. use ur revision guides!! don't worry about difficulty...they're pretty much the same??? just without all the bs questions anyone could get right

ReputationRep:
    Imo from being in year 11 last year the new exams were actually quite a bit harder and required more work in terms of English lit and more skill in terms of maths (so more practice) than any of my other subjects. But yes as the person above said the grade boundaries were very low last year so remember the exams being more difficult should not have an impact on what grade you get at the end. English language didn't really seem much harder but maybe the older papers were much easier?
    However, English Literature was actually a joke in my school, we did barely any mocks or work in class (as last year they didn't need to because they got the texts in the exams) so make sure you revise early on for that (sure you've heard of Mr Bruff).
    The amount of work you need to do it up to you though- you need to do enough to know and apply the information, simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mez_merising)
    -this may result in grade boundaries being lower?
    rip someone told me that they would make the grade boundaries higher for us this year than last (at least for the y10 trials in summer 2016-2017 vs our y11 real ones, summer 2018). But that was for our history gcse, unsure if it'll be the same for other subjects.

Tbh, im leaning on higher grade boundaries too - at least for 7/8/9. Because the whole point of 9s in the first place was to seperate A* neeeeerrrrrrrdddddddsssssssss from the A* decent-people. Idk, im just kinda throwing wild guesses out there??but fairly certain that's what i heard way back when.

Good luck guys, btw!!!!!! Hope u don't suffer (too much lol bc that's inevitable:/ rip)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.