Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So you want to be a doctor? - Reaching A*A*A* GYG Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by in_candescence)
    Congrats on getting a place! May I ask if you were interviewed at any other unis and if so which ones?
    brighton,manchester and Southampton.

i got accepted by all of them as well but decided to go to ucl. But it is hard living by myself in london especially since everything is so expensive. So i would say try and get into your local university if they are doing the course you want to study. I kind of regret not going manchester...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alibino)

i got accepted by all of them as well but decided to go to ucl. But it is hard living by myself in london especially since everything is so expensive. So i would say try and get into your local university if they are doing the course you want to study. I kind of regret not going manchester...
    I haven't applied for anywhere in London because I know it is expensive and I prefer a campus/smaller city type feel for uni, so I went for oxford, Birmingham, cardiff, bristol. Do you have any tips for MMIs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonnie 99)
    Thanks! Well done on your amazing grades btw!
    Thank you, by the looks of it I’ll be congratulating you soon 🙃🙃

ReputationRep:
    Well done on your grades! Not many universities actually look at your GCSEs, as long as you have 5 A*-C or sometimes 5A*-A which you have! Although universities sometimes say they don’t really look at your AS levels because many schools don’t offer them for linear, they will definitely look at you favourably and will remove any potential concerns about your GCSEs, if they have any. Cambridge will love having your AS grades as well! Predicted grades you’ll be above most applicants and UKCAT you’re in the top half of the 7th decile this year. You may have to do better in your interview because of your band 2, but some unis don’t look at the situational judgement as they think it’s useless. Good luck with your revision for the BMAT!

So definitely, you have a good chance! Which college have you applied for Cambridge and how much work experience have you done?
    Keep working hard and I'm sure you'll smash your grades. Good luck for the waiting from ucas!
    Thanks - really encouraging feedback!

I applied to so many hospitals but due to too many applicants, I was not selected for a placement. HOWEVER, I have had a two-week placement at a GP's surgery which I acquired a lot of knowledge from. I also undertook a six month placement at a care-home which was also helpful. I also volunteer at a young children's school.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Good luck Bonnie99! Your grades are amazing - hope you get into Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _king_aj_23_)
    Thanks - really encouraging feedback!

I applied to so many hospitals but due to too many applicants, I was not selected for a placement. HOWEVER, I have had a two-week placement at a GP's surgery which I acquired a lot of knowledge from. I also undertook a six month placement at a care-home which was also helpful. I also volunteer at a young children's school.
    A lot of websites of medicine courses at university websites say they understand it is hard to obtain clinical work experience at hospitals, so as long as you show you have other experience such as a long placement at a care home, which you have, and a bit of other experience like a GP, it should be fine. Just keep on trying to apply at different hospitals around your area and get as much as you can. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Update 1 - 27/10/17 :bee2:

Hello! Sorry for the late update! I’ve almost finished my half term, with 6 of the days taken up with me being ill :cheeky: So that’s sort of scuppered my plans for revision.

With just 5 days until the BMAT on Thursday, I’ve been anxiously trying to do past papers. At the moment I’m getting an average of 6.2 in section 1 and 6.8 in section 2, but I haven’t got any feedback on section 3 yet 😕. I’m aiming for above 6 in section 1 and 2 and 3.0A in section 3 because Imperial and Cambridge are both looking at it.

Subject-wise I have been looking over topics that I haven’t fully consolidated from year 12, like photosynthesis (I hate that topic!). I’ll post some photos of my notes next update!
    One of my teachers kindly reminded that this might be our last free holiday for a long time with yr13 and uni coming our way, so that’s a bit depressing 😅.

Just about to send of a form for a placement shadowing in a local hospital, hopefully in surgery or A&E, can’t wait to hopefully fit some in before interviews (if I get any!).

Hope all of you have had a good half term and start to whatever year you’re in! Please comment, so I can know what you’d like me to write about, not really got a clue with this GYG! Tell me how you've been spending your half terms!
    :bl:
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Bonnie 99;74296524]Update 1 - 27/10/17 :bee2:

Hello! Sorry for the late update! I’ve almost finished my half term, with 6 of the days taken up with me being ill :cheeky: So that’s sort of scuppered my plans for revision.

With just 5 days until the BMAT on Thursday, I’ve been anxiously trying to do past papers. At the moment I’m getting an average of 6.2 in section 1 and 6.8 in section 2, but I haven’t got any feedback on section 3 yet 😕. I’m aiming for above 6 in section 1 and 2 and 3.0A in section 3 because Imperial and Cambridge are both looking at it.

Subject-wise I have been looking over topics that I haven’t fully consolidated from year 12, like photosynthesis (I hate that topic!). I’ll post some photos of my notes next update!
    One of my teachers kindly reminded that this might be our last free holiday for a long time with yr13 and uni coming our way, so that’s a bit depressing 😅.

[color=#cc6a6e]Just about to send of a form for a placement shadowing in a local hospital, hopefully in surgery or A

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don’t think your post worked!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, don’t think your post worked!
    oops don’t know what happened there??? sure i sent something...i was going to ask for tips on how to get work experience placements for medicine or how you actually went about getting them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alibino)

Did you say you got a B's at GCSE because Southampton requires 6A's at GCSE, also, well done for UCL, it's a very nice university 👍

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.