Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently in year 11 and am required to apply for my sixth form with my A-Level choices. I am quite lost concerning which subjects to take ( I know I will do maths, biology and chemistry ) but I would like to study four options, with the aim to study either law, mathematics/economics or medicine at university. My other options are between German and History. Which of these would most recommended for the law course ( I understand that for law, unis do not require any specific subjects)? And are these options a good mix?
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Sorry other options are further maths, physics, economics or psychology. 😉

ReputationRep:
    definitely history! it’s a very respectable a level and requires you to think in many different ways which would help you in the future
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by victoria021)
    definitely history! it’s a very respectable a level and requires you to think in many different ways which would help you in the future
    Thank you !

ReputationRep:
    If you want to keep options open for those routes, pick Maths, biology, chemistry and history. If you can handle a 5th do German.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, studying law involves essays, so your application would be a lot stronger with an essay subject. Definitely history,

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. For law an essay subject is good, such as History. You can do economics at degree level without the A level, but it would help, so if this is your likely route I would consider this. Finally, if you were aiming at a top uni for economics such as LSE, then FM would be highly desirable. The other factor of course is to pick what you are good at and enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    If you want to keep options open for those routes, pick Maths, biology, chemistry and history. If you can handle a 5th do German.
    Thank you! I will possibly consider this

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice
    (Original post by Mancmike300)
    Hi there. For law an essay subject is good, such as History. You can do economics at degree level without the A level, but it would help, so if this is your likely route I would consider this. Finally, if you were aiming at a top uni for economics such as LSE, then FM would be highly desirable. The other factor of course is to pick what you are good at and enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeapingLucy)
    Yes, studying law involves essays, so your application would be a lot stronger with an essay subject. Definitely history,
    Many thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sro2002)
    Thank you! I will possibly consider this
    How interested are you in Maths/Economics? If you want you can do Maths/Economics/Medicine and then do a Law conversion course. And in that case I'd recommend Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology if you won't go directly into law.

ReputationRep:
    if you're tending more towards maths/econ, I'd recommend fm. The combination will also keep the medicine path open, but I'm not sure how acceptable of a combination it would be for law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    if you're tending more towards maths/econ, I'd recommend fm. The combination will also keep the medicine path open, but I'm not sure how acceptable of a combination it would be for law.
    Yes I think I a man more inclined to go for these options. Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    How interested are you in Maths/Economics? If you want you can do Maths/Economics/Medicine and then do a Law conversion course. And in that case I'd recommend Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Biology if you won't go directly into law.
    Yes those areas do interest me and I enjoy maths. I think I am more likely to have a career in that area , such as accurist, more than in law. Do you think that the conversion course would be the only option for me if I didn't choose this eventually?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sro2002)
    Yes those areas do interest me and I enjoy maths. I think I am more likely to have a career in that area , such as accurist, more than in law. Do you think that the conversion course would be the only option for me if I didn't choose this eventually?
    You don’t need anything specific for Law, so don’t bother looking for subjects to take just for it. Maths, FM, chem and bio will be fine, as it means you focus on the areas you like, and keep law open anyway.

ReputationRep:
    You don’t need anything specific for Law, so don’t bother looking for subjects to take just for it. Maths, FM, chem and bio will be fine, as it means you focus on the areas you like, and keep law open anyway.
    Yes thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.